What's new

Choose my next shaving product...

What will Johnny buy as his next shave/hygiene product?

• What product shoud Johnny buy next?

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Proraso White (Sensitive)

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Proraso Blue (Protective)

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Speick Shave Cream

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Cella Red Aftershave

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Cella Red Pre-Shave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cremo Original shave cream

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
I've been expanding my collection of soaps/aftershaves/lotions for a year now and want the collective wisdom of the elders of B&B to choose my next product for me. Should be something Spring appropriate.

Multiple votes allowed, may change votes at any time. Closes in seven days. I will buy whatever gets the most votes.

What I currently have in my collection is.

Love: Nivea sensitive foam and after shave lotion/ Proraso Green cream
Like: Cella Red Soap
Meh: Proraso Red sandalwood soap/aftershave
Not my cup of tea: Tabac stick deodorant

If you have suggestion other than the products listed below, please feel free to post them. I'm willing to splurge, but please keep it under $100.

Thanks,

Johnny

Last edited:
I'll go the suggestion route. If you haven't tried anything from Stirling then that would be an easy choice. Sharp Dressed Man and Executive Man seem to be the two most popular. SDM is my wife's favorite scent and both should work well for warm weather. Clubman's Virgin Island Bay Rum splash is cheap and almost legendary around here. You've been here long enough that I bet you've experienced them both already.

As for personal recommendations I have two: Eleven's Lime and Basil---great performing soap with a bright and crisp lime toned down with an undercurrent of basil. I'll grab this one and sniff it every few days. Master Soap Creations' Frosted Spearmint---another great performing soap with a powerful blast of menthol and stab of spearmint that is guaranteed to wake you up in the morning. I use this one a good deal in the heat of summer, but be warned that it's on a whole different level than Proraso green.

I will also make a suggestion. A very underrated company, Soapy Science. They make a fantastic, firmer tallow soap that lathers as well as anything on the market. The 5 oz container lasts forever. The scents are of perfect strength. Cannot go wrong.

I voted for Speick - have not tried it yet, but I love their deo stick, and have heard a lot of praise for their products in general, and it's definately coming to my den at some point 😅

The Proraso White I do own - it was my first cream. It's meh... Performance is as good as the other proraso creams, but the scent is so-so. I use it for days when I'm needing something without scent.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Don't limit yourself like that!

The Proraso blue is a good cream with a good masculine scent, but nothing special especially if you have other Proraso creams.
RazoRock produce some good soaps with classic scents like XXX and they are fairly cheap. Stirling are a little more expensive but do samples. As for aftershave I don't buy AS unless I smell it first and that means going to a brick and mortar store to get a sniff even if I later buy it online although I may one day buy Floid the Genuine as a blind buy.
You don't need to buy matching sets of pre shave, soap and AS unless you have a particular reason to want to.
My personal feeling is to try many different products from different manufacturers and find what suits you best. Bear in mind it takes months to use a single soap so you can be left with something you don't like or doesn't perform well for you.
Look up the my guess 3017 thread where members use a single soap until it is used up, you will get good honest reviews of soaps that people have paid for with their own money and use every day. You will find some soaps come up again and again as good and others can be hit and miss.

Good luck and hope this helps

Don't limit yourself like that!

The Proraso blue is a good cream with a good masculine scent, but nothing special especially if you have other Proraso creams.
RazoRock produce some good soaps with classic scents like XXX and they are fairly cheap. Stirling are a little more expensive but do samples. As for aftershave I don't buy AS unless I smell it first and that means going to a brick and mortar store to get a sniff even if I later buy it online although I may one day buy Floid the Genuine as a blind buy.
You don't need to buy matching sets of pre shave, soap and AS unless you have a particular reason to want to.
My personal feeling is to try many different products from different manufacturers and find what suits you best. Bear in mind it takes months to use a single soap so you can be left with something you don't like or doesn't perform well for you.
Look up the my guess 3017 thread where members use a single soap until it is used up, you will get good honest reviews of soaps that people have paid for with their own money and use every day. You will find some soaps come up again and again as good and others can be hit and miss.

Good luck and hope this helps
Thanks. I'll definitely be getting some samples from Stirling in the future.

I just looked over the Razorock soaps and they look great also.

You can't go wrong with Proraso Blue. Scent is subjective, but top notch peformance.

One of my all time favorite lather products and the one I have used the most over the years.

Speick is fantastic in fall, winter, or spring IMO. Cella is a very handy product, as is Proraso. I guess I have used both so much, all colors, that it doesnt excite me anymore but that says nothing of their good quality/price ratio. Cremo is meh to me but YMMV. So, from that list Speick, unless you live in warm weather, where I find Speick cloying. But i'm sure there are plenty of sub-tropical speick users who like walking through the streets of balmy brazil smelling like a medicated xmas cookie.

I would echo the recommendation to buy Stirling. Great value and great introduction to something a tad higher-up than a Proraso product, for example.

If you want to stick within the same price range as Proraso, however, I would recommend you try out Razorback, distributed through Italianbarber.com. There, you can easily find a 5. oz. tub of tallow-based shaving soap for $6–10 dollars, and matching aftershave for $8-13 dollars. It's a great value, and the soaps perform as well as Cella, Proraso, Cremo, etc.

Speick cream is a really good product. Unlike most shaving creams, it has a fairly short ingredient list without a lot of synthetic ingredients. Good size for traveling, too. A little goes a long way with this cream, you only need a small amount per shave.

Ingredients INCI:​

Aqua (Water), Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Cetyl Palmitate, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Valeriana Celtica (Speick) Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Silicate, Limonene, Linalool

The limonene and linalool are required to be listed as potential allergens, but are actually part of the essential oils used in this cream.

Why buy anything? What a bizarre post. As if you’re some fancy free undisciplined buying fool set loose in a shaving universe with an unlimited budget and a need to buy something. Really?
Does this mean you won't be participating in my next poll, which will decide what type of toilet bowl cleanser to use?

Top Bottom