What's new

What to buy and why, Karve Overlander, that is Stainless Steel v/s Brass?

Stainless Steel is about $80.00 more then Brass, so I am wondering if the extra money is worth spending for Stainless Steel, also Brass is slightly heavier by tad over Stainless Steel.

Why would you choose one meta Brass v/s Stainless Steel, or visa versa over the other? I am, sort of OCD so I do not abuse stuff, use, take care of anything I spend my money on. Think this is sort of OCD good habit.:straight:

lasta

Blade Biter
Brass develops patina.

Karves are matte finished and I don't think matte + patina is a good look.

From a value perspective, I'd get the brass version then send it to BRG for a mirror polish + nickle plating. Looks better and still cheaper than the steel.

Brass: My brother and I have the outlander in Brass. Both of us don't like the patina look. If you are a bit OCD and you do not want the patina to transition.
So, we just wipe it down right after use & once a week hit it with a non abrasive brass cleaner protector polish. Nice hand polished brass look .We also keep them in air tight moisture free container to impede the patina. We also have the Karve CB's (brass) with a bunch of plates. Thou now my brother does not like the outlander.
Maintaince takes like less than 10 minutes a week for the Outlander.
If you are anti maintenance, pay the extra for the S.S. or later get it mirror nickeled..
BFX..

If you don't want patina, get aluminum or stainless. Stainless isn't much more than getting the brass and plating it and then you have a solid stainless razor.

I think it was Shane at Blackland that said that the satin finish on brass helps make the patina more even. I have a brass Overlander that I have sitting in the shower room and it is slowly and fairly evenly darkening. I thought I'd try that to lay down a base patina.

I

Island

Copper... or Bronze. Forget Brass or Stainless
I think they all work fine. If one really believes in metals having antimicrobial properties, you should buy a sterling silver razor. Their prices are astronomical. If one just wants them to hold up, any non base metal razor is fine. Copper, brass, and bronze will develop patinas, which you may like or dislike. With titanium and aluminum, there is a substantial weight difference from the metals you've mentioned, and that will affect your shave.

Brass develops patina.

Karves are matte finished and I don't think matte + patina is a good look.

From a value perspective, I'd get the brass version then send it to BRG for a mirror polish + nickle plating. Looks better and still cheaper than the steel.

Well Brass is east to polish, have can of Madic Wadding it’s sort of like Cotton impregnated with polish.

Little elbow grease, and effort make metal shinny in a few minutes.

I think they all work fine. If one really believes in metals having antimicrobial properties, you should buy a sterling silver razor. Their prices are astronomical. If one just wants them to hold up, any non base metal razor is fine. Copper, brass, and bronze will develop patinas, which you may like or dislike. With titanium and aluminum, there is a substantial weight difference from the metals you've mentioned, and that will affect your shave.
Some people also declare that they can feel difference shaving with "only" SS and for example copper or bronze. Titanium should be also better for people with hypersensitivity issues (vs stainless steel, similar to body jewelry).
Personally no idea if it is true..

Brass razors have been around longer than any other metal, so it's safe to say that it's more than enough to do the job. There aren't that many stainless steel razors, but as a material, it's also a very good choice. Titanium razors are something relatively new and as a material, they are even more durable than stainless steel and slightly heavier than aluminium.

As someone who was very sceptical about titanium razors, I must say that if the price is right, I will always pick them with stainless steel being second and brass as a third option. I know some folks might think that titanium is just yet another fancy metal that is just there for some odd reason, but I've used both titanium and stainless razors from brands like Timeless and Blackland and I prefer titanium slightly more.

Bronze and copper are interesting metals, but for me they don't have any real benefits or pros against the ones I've mentioned above and they serve more like a cosmetic option than anything else, so if they are your thing, then go for it.

Zamak, aluminium and plastic/bakelite in my opinion have obvious flaws and can corrode, crack, break or shatter at any time even if you take care of them, so investing a lot of money in a razor made from those materials is always a gamble, which I don't want to take.

Those are my personal takes and I stick to them, but people can choose to buy whatever they want.

Some think that brass razors stink...literally...give off a metallic odor.

I never found my Overlander or Christopher Bradley to smell offensive. I still sold them both anyway, in favor of razors I felt shaved just as well or better.

I haven't seen anyone mention heat yet; if you live in an area where it gets cold brass will absorb heat a lot better than stainless.
In winter, 5 minutes in a bowl of hot water makes my brass (or copper) razors toasty warm but my stainless still hold a bit of morning chill.

I haven't seen anyone mention heat yet; if you live in an area where it gets cold brass will absorb heat a lot better than stainless.
In winter, 5 minutes in a bowl of hot water makes my brass (or copper) razors toasty warm but my stainless still hold a bit of morning chill.
I write this as I'm planning on a brass razor, but not for thermal reasons - just because ...

I question the requirement for a 5 minute soak.

Don't you rinse your razor after a few swipes? No doubt brass has much more thermal conductivity than ss.

Having said that, both ss and alu quickly come to water temp from a few seconds running under the faucet. What more do you require?

... Thom

Top Bottom