What's new

Thinking of buying Karve or Yates...

I would like to be able to shave more often but when I do I tend to get razor burn/skin irritation on my neck. My technique is still developing and I have hair that grows very flat on my neck. I find it easier to reach the flats of my neck with razors that aren't overly sensitive to angle and have decent blade gap and blade exposure. I'm getting there though. I think in a few more months I should be able to shave more regularly without worrying about an irritated neck.

I have the same issue with flat growing hairs on my neck, especially one spot in a crease. I've had over 50 razors and the Overlander is the best I've found in those areas mainly because I can go over those spots repeatedly without irritation. Only my Lambda Athena comes close to matching it in those areas.

I have, but as you know, it takes practice.
At this point I know what to do, I just need to get better at doing it. :)

Great! Another thing about my neck that I picked up along the way - I slack the skin more than I stretch it. It is the exact opposite of what I did at the start, but as I felt my neck whiskers, stretching the skin sometimes caused the whiskers to go more flat and slacking a bit in places let them stand up a bit more. So counter-intuitive, but that too helped me, so I wanted to share it with you, just in case.

I would like to be able to shave more often but when I do I tend to get razor burn/skin irritation on my neck. My technique is still developing and I have hair that grows very flat on my neck. I find it easier to reach the flats of my neck with razors that aren't overly sensitive to angle and have decent blade gap and blade exposure. I'm getting there though. I think in a few more months I should be able to shave more regularly without worrying about an irritated neck.
it's a clear lack of technique, over time you will find less difficulty
It is you who must master the instrument, not the other way around

Great! Another thing about my neck that I picked up along the way - I slack the skin more than I stretch it. It is the exact opposite of what I did at the start, but as I felt my neck whiskers, stretching the skin sometimes caused the whiskers to go more flat and slacking a bit in places let them stand up a bit more. So counter-intuitive, but that too helped me, so I wanted to share it with you, just in case.
I find the stretching direction makes a difference, especially for hair that grows close to the skin - stretching ATG seems to help get them up a little for me.
I find bullfrogging, as well as puffing out cheeks and similar, are skin stretching strategies that don't seem to make whiskers go flatter against the skin.

You left part of my statement out. To be clear, my statement was: I've had over 50 razors and the Overlander is the best I've found in those areas mainly because I can go over those spots repeatedly without irritation.
I read everything and understood perfectly
I was saying this ironically/jokingly 😂😂
Got Talent Reaction GIF by Italia's Got Talent

You left part of my statement out. To be clear, my statement was: I've had over 50 razors and the Overlander is the best I've found in those areas mainly because I can go over those spots repeatedly without irritation.
In all seriousness this is helpful feedback, thank you!

Do you have a “go to” blade for the Overlander?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kix
I agree with this comment
And first take care of the technique and mapping of your beard on your face

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I used my Fusion Power just a few weeks ago now.... after almost 2 years of learning how to shave well with a few nice razors. It wasn't half bad but not up the shaves I'm getting now, that last 12 hours before I can feel any pesky chin whiskers poking through.

I know you are already working on your technique and are well aware, these things take time.

Since you are already considering buying a more expensive razor and I read the Lambda Athena has already been mentioned, I thought I'd add my thoughts about it. I think the Athena, perhaps more than any razor I have or have had, helped me develop my own shaving technique(s). It has a significant auditory feedback loop that lets you know when you are using it up to its full potential. As you adjust the angle toward the shallow or steeper positions, you can hear the razor telling you..... "That's right... now you are on the right track!!!"

The next batch should be released sometime in February so the wait time isn't that long at the moment. As far as the manufacturing tolerances and final finishing are concerned, it's up there with razors quite a bit more expensive. It's a marine bronze alloy razor but the upkeep is easy, if you want it to remain shiny and not develop a patina over time, so I wouldn't let that deter you, should you consider buying one.

If you have the time and are interested, you might enjoy reading this thread:

I find all blades work well in the Overlander but because it is on the mild side I prefer a sharper blade such as Nacet or Feather.
I’d concur with your posts in here. The Karve Overlander is the best DE I have ever used. I like Kai blades in it in the few shaves I had on mine. It’s efficient and one I don’t worry about bumps, or it biting me which is about all I can ask for. I haven’t tried more expensive razors having said that.

I find bullfrogging, as well as puffing out cheeks and similar, are skin stretching strategies that don't seem to make whiskers go flatter against the skin.

I bullfrog to make the flat-growing hair on my neckline (below the actual bullfrogging bit) stand up so that I can hit it XTG and reduce it. I don't know why it works, but it does.

In regard to OP's dilemma, having never used either of these razors I can say with 100% confidence and absolute certainty that best and only B&B approved solution is to buy both. :letterk1:

The Yates 921 is my main DE razor. I haven't desired other DE razors since I bought it July of 2022. It gives me the efficiency I desire in a DE razor. I shave every other day or every third day. I use the M plate for 2-day growth and the H plate for 3-day growth. My favorite blade for that razor is the Nacet.

The nice part of the 921 is that you can buy it in parts instead of the whole razor at once. You could buy a top cap and a base plate and use the handles you have via nylon washers to fill in the channel in the base plate. The 921 in SS or Ti come up for sale from time to time on BST here and other sites.

I started with the bead blast SS 921 with the default 4" handle and SS M scalloped base plate (before they offered BYOR). I also bought the matching H scalloped and EH straight bar SS plates in bead blast at the same time. I did not like the original 4" handle, so I used various other handles with the 921 razor head. I later picked up a used 3.25" SS stubby handle and brass (M) hybrid base plate. I picked up the Ti 3.25" stubby handle when those were released. In the last few weeks, my Ti top cap and Ti M solid bar base plate arrived. That effectively gave me a full Ti 921 to go with my SS 921. I just ordered a Ti H OC base plate. All that to say you can customize your 921 to fit your shave.

Both great razors just pick the one you want to try first. Either will sell easily if you decide you don’t like it. Personally I prefer the overlander but of course ymmv

I haven't used a Karve razor due to the customer service issues but I have a Yates 'Merica as my only razor and the quality and craftsmanship is outstanding. Perfectly machined and shaves so smooth and close with next to no blade feel. If I had a need for another razor, I'd happily give their 921-M or Winning razors a shot.

Karve 100% no contest IMO. Fit finish, machining, tolerance, Yates just doesn't compare to Karve. Karve is amazing. Yates was eh.

So far I've used and owned Karve, Aylsworth Apex (China), WCS Charcoal 1.5 (China), Yates 921-H, Stando Zoria and Henson, and Yates is bottom of the barrel in every category. I honestly don't understand why people praise Yates.

Drakkant (Yates) is noticeably worse in every way compared to Apex, both Aylsworth razors. Put the top cap on bottom of Apex, it doesn't budge, fit is perfect. Drakkant, it wiggles the most among my razors now, since I returned the 921-H I was so disappointed by it. I'd return Drakkant but no return policy.

I recently got the Alpha Outlaw Evo... Once again, I look back on Yates and wonder what is up with the Yates hype? This Alpha Evo is cheaper and it's just better in every conceivable way.

But Karve, it's a work of art and example of good design and engineering. Karve and Henson, damn fine razors.

But as we all say YMMV. I just don't think you can possibly go wrong choosing Karve instead of Yates every single time, 100% of the time.

I don't give credence to USA made or mom and pop shop marketing. I don't care. For over $100 razor, it needs to live up to it's hype and pricetag and it doesn't, at all. Stando is a one person shop far as I know, and it exceeded my expectations.

Karve can't say enough good things, now that I have used both their brass and SS. Overlander is just awesome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom