What's new

Howdy

Hello, all! Checking in here as a new user.

I've been wet shaving for maybe 14 years now. Started with straight razors for a few years before moving to a safety razor. When I made the transition, I bought some kind of high quality milled stainless steel razor from a small company that I think was based in Missouri, although I can't recall the name of the company now. I used that safety razor exclusively for the last decade plus, typically with Dorco Prime blades, Proraso pre shave and Speick shaving cream. Earlier this year I bought an EJ DE89 on an impulse, and was immediately astonished by how much cleaner and more comfortable of a shave I was getting. This got me on a tear lurking here at B&B and buying up a minor (or not too minor) stockpile of different soaps and other products, trying to rebuild my routine from the ground up. By now I've got enough of a stash I figured I've tipped over some kind of line, and better join up officially on the forum.

Looking forward to being here — happy shaves, y'all.

Welcome to B&B!
I spent part of my childhood in Austin ... some of the best time of my childhood.
And, man, you made a great choice with the Edwin Jagger DE89. Such a great razor. Ubiquitous and yet overlooked.
This site is a great place to share your journey. 🍻

Welcome to B&B!
I spent part of my childhood in Austin ... some of the best time of my childhood.
And, man, you made a great choice with the Edwin Jagger DE89. Such a great razor. Ubiquitous and yet overlooked.
This site is a great place to share your journey. 🍻

It's a wonderful city! Looking forward to another good hot summer — and it looks like we're starting early this year, with a sunny February.

I'll try some other razors for variety and to check my bases, but I'm pretty high on the DE89 right now. Definitely a keeper.

Welcome!

Test question. Is 'Freestyle' an appropriate name for Fischer Random / 960?

Man, you're hitting me with the tough questions on a Friday morning. I'm only an amateur enthusiast. Haven't ever really dug into these variations. Any recommendation for where I should start?

It's a wonderful city! Looking forward to another good hot summer — and it looks like we're starting early this year, with a sunny February.

I'll try some other razors for variety and to check my bases, but I'm pretty high on the DE89 right now. Definitely a keeper.

Man, you're hitting me with the tough questions on a Friday morning. I'm only an amateur enthusiast. Haven't ever really dug into these variations. Any recommendation for where I should start?

Just an amateur/fan here as well. My middle son did pretty well in scholastic chess through middle school. It got me hooked on following and trying to understand professional-level chess. My family goes through phases of playing each other over-the-board or playing online on Lichess. I have not taken up online chess.

There is not much involved the rules to 960. It provides a list of 960 shuffled back rank arrangements that still allow castling. One is chosen 'randomly'. Black's back rank is the mirror of White's. The idea is to eliminate, or at least greatly devalue opening theory.

Apparently there is going to be a freestyle/960 tour, sponsored by an American who isn't Rex Sinquefeld. The world #1 Magnus Carlsen is involved.

Reactions: 1e4
Just an amateur/fan here as well. My middle son did pretty well in scholastic chess through middle school. It got me hooked on following and trying to understand professional-level chess. My family goes through phases of playing each other over-the-board or playing online on Lichess. I have not taken up online chess.

There is not much involved the rules to 960. It provides a list of 960 shuffled back rank arrangements that still allow castling. One is chosen 'randomly'. Black's back rank is the mirror of White's. The idea is to eliminate, or at least greatly devalue opening theory.

Apparently there is going to be a freestyle/960 tour, sponsored by an American who isn't Rex Sinquefeld. The world #1 Magnus Carlsen is involved.
Thanks! That sounds like it could be fun viewing, I’ll look it up.

Top Bottom