What's new

What makes for a good bowl for bowl lathering?

...I picked up this silicone bowl from the pet shop today. Haven't tried this yet, but looks like it could make a nice lather?
Interesting design. It makes me dizzy/queasy just looking at the spiral.:blink:

I wonder if it pushes the lather inwards when lathering clockwise and pushing lather outwards the other way. Ha.

Interesting design. It makes me dizzy/queasy just looking at the spiral.:blink:

I wonder if it pushes the lather inwards when lathering clockwise and pushing lather outwards the other way. Ha.
Good point! I'll have to keep an eye on that.

It is originally a dog slow feeding bowl.

a bowl is a bowl is a bowl...the bowl which contains lather is the bowl that works best :) I bought mine from the ceramics studio of our local artisans...she happened to be really beautiful, so I see her in every shave...but I digress she's out of my league.

IMG_1264.jpeg
I had recently posted in another thread how this makes a great shaving bowl. Setting it in a sink of hot water keeps the lather nice and warm, and the handle helps to lessen the possibility of dropping it.
Also, being deep it keeps the lather in the bowl where it belongs.

Here's one I ordered from Yaqi back around Christmas.
20231127_172121~2.jpg

With these crenelations or whatnot inside to aid in lathering.
20231127_172141~2.jpg

But as you can see here, I didn't understand that because I didn't know the difference between a soap mug and a lathering bowl!
20231205_192611~2.jpg

That's a shaved down puck I put and formed to the bowl with hot water. It worked pretty good for a few shaves...but now it's just a big hunk of soap that rattles around. I suspect it will do a better job when I use it as a lathering bowl instead of a soap mug.

Any 5-gallon paint bucket will do. If you need some texture in whipping bucket, use a zippo to burn some ledges into bucket. I usually dump 4-5 TOBs cream cannisters into my 5 gallon, pour about 1.5 cups of warm seawater in, and hit it with an immersion blender I bought from a restaurant depot. Sometimes I will add a splash of almond extract. Whip it for about 20 minutes, use a kitchen food scale to weigh out multiple 2-3 ounces of foam and freeze in small zip lock bags. This process lasts me about 6 years. Just take a bag out of freezer a few hours before shave, microwave 30 seconds, dump in a ninja food processor for a few minutes, scoop out, and shave that dirty beard off. Hit face with some rubbing alcohol and lanolin I mix up, go hunt in the club.

I have two very inexpensive bowls. One is a ceramic scuttle and the other a plastic shaving bowl which I use for traveling.

Both were purchased from DSC. The scuttle cost around $10 and the plastic bowl was $4. The scuttle works fantastic, it's just quite large and heavy when filled with water. Since it cost so little, I won't mind too much if it should break. It's of course no comparison to a GP scuttle, the DSC isn't nearly as beautiful nor is it handmade, but I would be quite devastated dropping a GP scuttle.

As my luck would have it, I ordered the plastic bowl along with two leather travel pouches for a razor & blades and for a small brush on January 3rd, excluding me from the January GRUME. Since I will be restraining myself nevertheless, I should be ready for the February GRUME. Plenty of month left to get ready.

DSC Ceramic scuttle with silicon stopper (a small funnel to fill up with water was also part of the package. Not pictured):
View attachment 1777076

DSC Plastic Shaving bowl with brush rest on handle. I call it the Bauhinia, because of the Bauhinia petal pattern on the bottom:

View attachment 1777077
I've been on the hunt fir a shaving bowl scuttle the last year and I keep coming back to that caramel colored one you have which is what I want. I'm seeing it on ebay and other places for like $55 to $65. $10 you say? What's DSC?

I've been on the hunt fir a shaving bowl scuttle the last year and I keep coming back to that caramel colored one you have which is what I want. I'm seeing it on ebay and other places for like $55 to $65. $10 you say? What's DSC?
You probably keep finding Georgetown Pottery scuttles. They are absolutely beautiful and well worth the price. They are handmade. The small lid is pewter.

Mine is bought from DSC or DSCosmetics, a reliable shaving gear supplier based in China. Many of the members here own one of their razors, a handle, or a brush from them. Surprisingly good reviews about their goods here on B&B.

DSC sells only on Aliexpress and they do offer this scuttle, however the price will be more towards USD 45-50 which includes shipping. Mine was so cheap because I ordered it in China and it was sent to China, no customs, no overseas shipping.

There's also some difference between a DSC and a Georgetown scuttle. The DSC isn't handmade and the spout is covered by a silicone plug. You'll get a small funnel to fill water, but it takes a while until the scuttle is sufficiently full.

To be honest, seeing that a DSC scuttle isn't that much cheaper than a Georgetown scuttle, I would recommend you to get a Georgetown. I think you'd be quite happy with it. And as I can see from their website their G12 and G20 scuttles are currently on sale. I personally like the G20 (larger capacity) in the Blue Hamada Glaze. It sells for USD 40.

shaving-scuttle-g20-second

At least for me, shallow and wide, say 5-6" wide, with a ribbed but very smooth inner surface is the best. I wanted it to be smooth to lessen any wear and tear on the brush bristles. I started with a small, smooth, palm sized bowl and while it was an improvement over face lathering it wasn't as good as I was looking for, the lather was never quite spot on no matter what I tried, so a few months ago I ordered the Fine Accoutrements ceramic shave bowl and it's been a game changer for me, I've been making great lathers and have the least amount of post shave irritation I've ever had. I've even had some soaps that previously I really wasn't impressed with the performance become at least acceptable now. I also don't have any issues with hitting my brush handle against the side of the bowl and there's plenty of room for way more than enough lather without spilling. So that bowl has established my baseline: short, wide, smooth and ridged, preferably with a handle to hold while I'm making lather.

Any 5-gallon paint bucket will do. If you need some texture in whipping bucket, use a zippo to burn some ledges into bucket. I usually dump 4-5 TOBs cream cannisters into my 5 gallon, pour about 1.5 cups of warm seawater in, and hit it with an immersion blender I bought from a restaurant depot. Sometimes I will add a splash of almond extract. Whip it for about 20 minutes, use a kitchen food scale to weigh out multiple 2-3 ounces of foam and freeze in small zip lock bags. This process lasts me about 6 years. Just take a bag out of freezer a few hours before shave, microwave 30 seconds, dump in a ninja food processor for a few minutes, scoop out, and shave that dirty beard off. Hit face with some rubbing alcohol and lanolin I mix up, go hunt in the club.
This is fantastic. :lol:

I mostly face lather, but I recently picked up some Acqua di Parma and DR Harris creams and a Captain's Choice copper bowl with a heavy gauge black finish. The bowl works very well, is unbreakable, and looks great. The Captain's Choice is fantastic if you like heavy, well-made products that add a little extra something to your shaving routine.
IMG_4672.jpg

You probably keep finding Georgetown Pottery scuttles. They are absolutely beautiful and well worth the price. They are handmade. The small lid is pewter.

Mine is bought from DSC or DSCosmetics, a reliable shaving gear supplier based in China. Many of the members here own one of their razors, a handle, or a brush from them. Surprisingly good reviews about their goods here on B&B.

DSC sells only on Aliexpress and they do offer this scuttle, however the price will be more towards USD 45-50 which includes shipping. Mine was so cheap because I ordered it in China and it was sent to China, no customs, no overseas shipping.

There's also some difference between a DSC and a Georgetown scuttle. The DSC isn't handmade and the spout is covered by a silicone plug. You'll get a small funnel to fill water, but it takes a while until the scuttle is sufficiently full.

To be honest, seeing that a DSC scuttle isn't that much cheaper than a Georgetown scuttle, I would recommend you to get a Georgetown. I think you'd be quite happy with it. And as I can see from their website their G12 and G20 scuttles are currently on sale. I personally like the G20 (larger capacity) in the Blue Hamada Glaze. It sells for USD 40.

shaving-scuttle-g20-second
I am familiar with DSC scuttles and brushes as well as Georgetown pottery after doing my research. I decided to go with Karen Goldberg pottery. This arrived this week and its a very beautiful handcrafted piece. Whipped up some Proraso in it yesterday and shaved with one of my Boker Red Injun's I cleaned the edge up on. I'm expecting a barbershop pole brush by YAKI to match it soon if the seller ever ships it!? DSC I think has a HUGE BUT EXPENSIVE 63mm or 73mm brush I may order in the future. Chasing down a lot of Barbershop soaps and aftershave too. Placing a big order with PAA today possibly.

Attachments

• 1712457168646-410.jpg
    1712457168646-410.jpg
    869 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240407_120525.jpg
    20240407_120525.jpg
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240407_122028.jpg
    20240407_122028.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240407_122037.jpg
    20240407_122037.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240407_120516.jpg
    20240407_120516.jpg
    939.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I'm still using the same little plastic salsa bowl I picked up at Mal-Wart a decade ago. Well, actually, I now face-lather with shave sticks. But, on the rare occasions I decide to bowl-lather with cream soap, I still use the salsa bowl.

I am familiar with DSC scuttles and brushes as well as Georgetown pottery after doing my research. I decided to go with Karen Goldberg pottery. This arrived this week and its a very beautiful handcrafted piece. Whipped up some Proraso in it yesterday and shaved with one of my Boker Red Injun's I cleaned the edge up on. I'm expecting a barbershop pole brush by YAKI to match it soon if the seller ever ships it!? DSC I think has a HUGE BUT EXPENSIVE 63mm or 73mm brush I may order in the future. Chasing down a lot of Barbershop soaps and aftershave too. Placing a big order with PAA today possibly.
This is a lovely piece. I like the size and ease of use with the removeable lather bowl. It'll make adding hot water very easy and you won't have to fiddle around with a mini funnel and small silicone plug or brass cover, which are easy to lose. I also do like the fact that it comes with a cover, because that will keep your lather warm in between passes.

Truly a one of a kind masterpiece. I'm sure many members will take a closer look at this artist, because most modern scuttles available do not have this separation between water container and lather bowl, and this scuttle is very special. Congratulations to that find, may you have many joyous shaves with it.

Don't worry about the Yaqi order, we are coming out a three day public holiday (April 4 - April 6). Sunday, April 7 was the first working day. That may have delayed shipping for a couple of days, plus they have probably some back orders.

DSC does offer a brush with barber pole handle at 62 mm (60 mm according to their aliexpress site) and up to a 58 mm loft. See the picture from their Taobao store. The loft depends on bristle type, for example the loft of the badger is just 50 mm. Prices will depend on the kind of brush you'll want to order with the badger being the more expensive one at around USD 50. Most of the others are around USD 15-20; those are mostly synthetics or boar. This brush handle would match perfectly with your Karen Goldberg Pottery scuttle.

Attachments

• IMG_6525.jpeg
    IMG_6525.jpeg
    628.1 KB · Views: 5
This is a lovely piece. I like the size and ease of use with the removeable lather bowl. It'll make adding hot water very easy and you won't have to fiddle around with a mini funnel and small silicone plug or brass cover, which are easy to lose. I also do like the fact that it comes with a cover, because that will keep your lather warm in between passes.

Truly a one of a kind masterpiece. I'm sure many members will take a closer look at this artist, because most modern scuttles available do not have this separation between water container and lather bowl, and this scuttle is very special. Congratulations to that find, may you have many joyous shaves with it.

Don't worry about the Yaqi order, we are coming out a three day public holiday (April 4 - April 6). Sunday, April 7 was the first working day. That may have delayed shipping for a couple of days, plus they have probably some back orders.

DSC does offer a brush with barber pole handle at 62 mm (60 mm according to their aliexpress site) and up to a 58 mm loft. See the picture from their Taobao store. The loft depends on bristle type, for example the loft of the badger is just 50 mm. Prices will depend on the kind of brush you'll want to order with the badger being the more expensive one at around USD 50. Most of the others are around USD 15-20; those are mostly synthetics or boar. This brush handle would match perfectly with your Karen Goldberg Pottery scuttle.
YeahI was initially going to go with the DSC. I do enjoy the softness of synthetics (From my limited experience as I only have two brushes. My first one being badger with a chrome handle my ex wife gave me as a gift when we were first dating 17 years ago as part of a gift set which I just started using exclusively for shaving 4 years ago after taking a 20 year straight razor hiatus. I used to use it to dust off my cigars in my humidor if the humidity ever got too high. It's amazing how soft and well it performs when you put a dab of Cremo hair conditioner in it after each use.) I have another synthetic 24mm. I like the DSC one but felt the handle was a little short at the time. But looks appropriate now to me. My tastes change by the day. Lol. Omega makes a nice one too, and a few others. I may just get them all. 😝 Oh to mention. The covers are optional and extra on Karen's pieces. They usually average $50 on her shave bowls on Etsy and I think the covers are an extra $25 and yes water is very easy to pour into.

Top Bottom