What's new

Having problems keeping my lather in the shaving bowl / Ideal shaving bowl dimensions?

Hi, up until now I've formed my lather in the same container the shaving soap (Proraso red) is in (on top of the soap), and I've been able to get a pretty decent lather using this method. However, I was curious if a better lather could be achieved using a shaving bowl, and the answer is yes, I'm able to get a thicker lather with a bowl, but I seem to lose half of it by it having a tendency to flow over the sides of the bowl, on the brush handle and all over my hands. Tried a whole bunch of different bowls of differing sizes, but still don't seem able to keep the lather in the bowl! Am I doing something wrong? Is there a perfect size in terms of depth and width (read 3" deep and 4" wide somewhere, but tried a bowl that size). Would love any tips, thanks.

lasta

Blade Biter
I've experimented with this a few years back. I found 6.8cm deep and fairly vertical walls to be ideal as to not bump the brush handle yet control lather spillage.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
The bowl I was (mostly) ultimately happy with was your standard flat bottomed, steep walled ceramic bowl, in my case it's a RazoRock, but likely just a rebrand of a rebrand...

For me the steep walls, and the diameter were key. With more "bowl" shaped bowls the soap invariably worked it's way up the sides toward over-flowing.

TL/DR I prefer bowls where the top and bottom diameters are roughly equal, texture, but not too much texture. I found suribachi bowls were too textured.

bowl.png

I have tried many bowls and my favorite, by far, is Shave Nation’s ceramic bowl. Lather does tend to go up the sides sometimes, but when this happens I know the lather is being made correctly and simply use the brush to scoop it and put it back in the bowl and continue lathering. The size is perfect, weight is perfect, etc. I like it so much I have 2 of them, one in green and one in blue.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I do not believe that building your lather, as opposed to simply loading your brush, on top of the soap puck, is the correct method as to do so is to continuously add more and more soap as you build the lather. I suggest it is better to load the brush from the puck and then either face lather, or transfer to a separate lathering bowl. Opinions differ of course and if lathering on the puck works for you and you like it then keep doing it 👍

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Lather bowls don't work at all well for me.

The main thing they seem to do, is bulk up the lather by adding air. If you look at how little soap and water is needed for a bowlful of lather, air is by far the biggest ingredient of bowl lather. That doesn't improve lather for me, it ruins it, and the shave suffers too.

That said, I do like the shaving mugs like these with the bumps in the bottom...

black-plastic-shaving-bowl-with-handle.jpg

black-plastic-shaving-bowl-with-handle(1).jpg

I have a black plastic one just like this, which I use for water for my brush. Both for hydrating the lather, and cleaning the brush. A "bowl lathering" action underwater in a full mug, does a great job of helping rinse all the lather out of the base of the knot.

Maybe something like this might work for you. They can be found in plastic and porcelain.

I do not believe that building your lather, as opposed to simply loading your brush, on top of the soap puck, is the correct method as to do so is to continuously add more and more soap as you build the lather. I suggest it is better to load the brush from the puck and then either face lather, or transfer to a separate lathering bowl. Opinions differ of course and if lathering on the puck works for you and you like it then keep doing it 👍
I lathered directly on the puck up until I started with Proraso in the plastic tub. Now, I scoop off a snurdle or two, and drop it into the mug or bowl I'm using, and lather from there.

Soap jars/tubs that have smaller opening than the base. Best thing ever. Keeps all the foam inside and it's free.

Attachments

• Jar.jpg
    Jar.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 4
Load your brush with soap first until the tips are saturated with soap, then take the brush to your bowl. You have all the soap you'll need at that point. You will need to add water gradually in two or three stages. If you are having trouble with overflowing lather, try a deeper bowl like the Pereira or the Timeless ones. You can use a similar shape bowl you may have already around the house, too.

1698767462850.png
1698768877601.png

Lather bowls don't work at all well for me.

The main thing they seem to do, is bulk up the lather by adding air. If you look at how little soap and water is needed for a bowlful of lather, air is by far the biggest ingredient of bowl lather. That doesn't improve lather for me, it ruins it, and the shave suffers too.

That said, I do like the shaving mugs like these with the bumps in the bottom...

View attachment 1740967

View attachment 1740968

I have a black plastic one just like this, which I use for water for my brush. Both for hydrating the lather, and cleaning the brush. A "bowl lathering" action underwater in a full mug, does a great job of helping rinse all the lather out of the base of the knot.

Maybe something like this might work for you. They can be found in plastic and porcelain.
I have been looking at this style mug. Would like to get 1 or 2.
Fendrihan has a range of sizes to choose from.

Hi, up until now I've formed my lather in the same container the shaving soap (Proraso red) is in (on top of the soap), and I've been able to get a pretty decent lather using this method. However, I was curious if a better lather could be achieved using a shaving bowl, and the answer is yes, I'm able to get a thicker lather with a bowl, but I seem to lose half of it by it having a tendency to flow over the sides of the bowl, on the brush handle and all over my hands. Tried a whole bunch of different bowls of differing sizes, but still don't seem able to keep the lather in the bowl! Am I doing something wrong? Is there a perfect size in terms of depth and width (read 3" deep and 4" wide somewhere, but tried a bowl that size). Would love any tips, thanks.
I can't recommend it, I've never made foam in a bowl and I never use the bowl
Only face lathering for me

Top Bottom