What's new

Bowl talk

I should stop surfing through these threads. I'm going to end up collecting too much stuff.
It's okay. It seems that we're all in this together :001_cool:

What i want to try so far...
Captains choice bowl (or a ceramic clone, if i want ceramic) - Good place to start to try ceramic bowls
image_2023-12-28_233609036.png
Either a ceramic or plastic bowls with handles in this style. I especially like the Fine Accoutrements one, as the other bowls in this style, seem to have straight walls

image_2023-12-28_233501609.png
This one i found on Etsy, which comes in 3 sizes, many different colours and interior patterns
image_2023-12-28_233346936.pngimage_2023-12-28_233738240.pngimage_2023-12-28_233758890.png

Yes - We're all a good (Bad?) influence on each other.
Here is the trick to this situation. When looking to buy a product, find 2. One must be substantially more expensive than the other. That way you buy the cheaper one and convince yourself how great a deal you got. Then you move on to the next item and then the next and do on....taking great satisfaction in how wonderful a buyer you are.
Black Friday Animation GIF

Anyone use Yates Shaving Bowls? I have seen them on their site but no reviews of them. Anyone who can offer insight on if they are good?
I use it. I like it. Easy to hold. Good friction due to the 3d printing texture. Big enough for "vigorous" lathering but not so big as to take up much room. The one down side I have found is that the plastic does not hold heat well. By the time I am ready for a second pass lathering, the lather has cooled to room temp.

I can somewhat understand the pricepoint for the CaYuen, but those Pereira bowls are pricey... Not to knock the product, as i haven't tried it. 47 bucks for a plastic bowl, and 62 bucks for the ceramic mug. I've seen a few versions of these plastic ones, from Yaqi as an example. Wouldn't that perform the same?

Those CaYuen bowls look very nice, and it's large diameter, does seem very good for swirling the brush around... but again. Pricey, might be well worth the price, can't knock the product, as i haven't tried it.

Either one of these bowls might very well be the last bowl i'd ever buy, but that's all dependant on whether i like them. And it's a huge price to find out!
@Tonikallinn I absolutely agree with you that the Pereira bowl is too expensive. I bought mine when it was $32. If you go Yaqi, make sure you read the details on components and the size. Sometimes, they are not quite what is pictured. I think Razor Emporium and the The Razor Company also have similar type bowls.
For a minimalist look, I have been reading about the Hendrix Classics stainless bowl.

The shaving bowl made by Roger Quintero @SlimGem (available from Thingiverse) is also a great lather bowl from what I have seen. You can upload his files to a local printer and they will print it for you. I have toyed with that idea myself, but have also found that I am face lathering more at the moment.

Last edited:
The shaving bowl made by Roger Quintero @SlimGem (available from Thingiverse) is also a great lather bowl from what I have seen. You can upload his files to a local printer and they will print it for you. I have toyed with that idea myself, but have also found that I am face lathering more at the moment.
I have also started to face lather. I found it very 50/50 of picking up scooped soap from the bowls i have (sometimes becomes airier than i want it to be) so i have also started to swirl my brush straight from the tub of Stirling, as i have seen posts that as long as you let it air dry for 24 hours, it should be fine.

The main reason i started bowl lathering in the first place, was brush irritation (immense burning sensation hours after shaving, and very bad redness) but it seems that my Muhle STF from APShaveCo (incredibly soft and very little backbone) and Stirling, with it's absolutely fantastic protective capabilities, compared to other soaps i've tried (non tallow based soaps), has made face lathering very possible for me. And honestly i think i enjoy it more! I guess the bowls can be saved for less protective soaps and creams, in my case. Though palm lathering for around 10 seconds with creams before going to my face worked well when i tried.

it seems that my Muhle STF from APShaveCo (incredibly soft and very little backbone) and Stirling
Good for you! Glad to read that and the STF is indeed an incredible brush. This might be a start to see if Andrew can help you find additional brushes that are similar to the STF.
i have also started to swirl my brush straight from the tub of Stirling, as i have seen posts that as long as you let it air dry for 24 hours, it should be fine.
I do that too, but I tend to use a soap for a month at a time so I usually don’t bother to let it air dry unless I am switching monthly soaps and the soap isn’t done yet.

Enjoy!!

Guido

Just got a new shave bowl from Hendrix Classics & Co. It is the unpolished stainless steel version. I just used it and it whipped up a great lather in no time. When I first looked at the bowl I didn't think it was going to be big enough and keep the lather in. I was totally wrong. The bowl was great. The ridges in the base of the bowl work flawlessly. Actually, it works better than some bowls with elaborate designs and excessive ridges. It's a winner.
IMG_0892.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Just got a new shave bowl from Hendrix Classics & Co. It is the unpolished stainless steel version. I just used it and it whipped up a great lather in no time. When I first looked at the bowl I didn't think it was going to be big enough and keep the lather in. I was totally wrong. The bowl was great. The ridges in the base of the bowl work flawlessly. Actually, it works better than some bowls with elaborate designs and excessive ridges. It's a winner.View attachment 1807948
Thx for the review... When I first started, before I found B&B by a few days... I was looking at all the FB shaving groups and there were lots of those in use there.... People raved about them... They are inexpensive as well... Very nice.

Thx for the review... When I first started, before I found B&B by a few days... I was looking at all the FB shaving groups and there were lots of those in use there.... People raved about them... They are inexpensive as well... Very nice.
Thanks. I should note that this version of the shave bowl is different from their older version. The new version has straight sides vs. curved sides on the old bowl. I think the straight sides make a huge difference in lathering and keeping the lather in the bowl.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks. I should note that this version of the shave bowl is different from their older version. The new version has straight sides vs. curved sides on the old bowl. I think the straight sides make a huge difference in lathering and keeping the lather in the bowl.
Yes... most of the reviews I've read said the straight side models worked much better at containing the lather in the bowl. Makes sense.

I use it. I like it. Easy to hold. Good friction due to the 3d printing texture. Big enough for "vigorous" lathering but not so big as to take up much room. The one down side I have found is that the plastic does not hold heat well. By the time I am ready for a second pass lathering, the lather has cooled to room temp.

Do you have the big or the small one? can you compare it to the Timeless bowl in dimensions?

Do you have the big or the small one? can you compare it to the Timeless bowl in dimensions?
I use the large. I tend to be a rather enthusiastic latherer ;) . Short of driving out to my storage unit and pulling the Timeless bowl and measuring both (which I will do if you would like, it'll just have to wait until the weekend), I feel comfortable saying that the Timeless and the Yates Lg are roughly the same size and feel in the hand. I do get better lather in the Yates due to the 3D printed texture.

I use the large. I tend to be a rather enthusiastic latherer ;) . Short of driving out to my storage unit and pulling the Timeless bowl and measuring both (which I will do if you would like, it'll just have to wait until the weekend), I feel comfortable saying that the Timeless and the Yates Lg are roughly the same size and feel in the hand. I do get better lather in the Yates due to the 3D printed texture.

Thanks! Not necessary to measure them both, just wanted to know the rough dimensions! If you had said it is much larger than the Timeless, it would have been too big for me!
I’ll probably pull the trigger on the Yates, I do like the shape, I feel like it should be very comfortable to grip/hold in the hand.

Top Bottom