What's new

Bowl talk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Opinions vary, but it has always been my decided opinion (and as far as I can tell I'm always right) that a bowl should be part of a proper scuttle. With the scuttle the lather gets warmer with each ensuing pass. Only slightly bigger and a bit more $$. My current favorite is the Georgetown Pottery G12.

Is there any form of ''drag'' with the copper bowl? Or does the brush glide smoothly around the bowl?
Nope :) IMHO the same as the Timeless or Ceramic

the inside of many bowls have something to help :)
Captains Rings on the bottom work great and easy to do both circle and back and forth actions in it to whip up the lather how you like :)
they are amazing looking bowls for sure

the Timeless also has inside lines that I like more as they go up the side and with rotation of the bowl in your hand I do think it whips up lather quicker

again this is purely YMMV and one is not better than the other its just what we like :)

I can somewhat understand the pricepoint for the CaYuen, but those Pereira bowls are pricey... Not to knock the product, as i haven't tried it. 47 bucks for a plastic bowl, and 62 bucks for the ceramic mug. I've seen a few versions of these plastic ones, from Yaqi as an example. Wouldn't that perform the same?

Those CaYuen bowls look very nice, and it's large diameter, does seem very good for swirling the brush around... but again. Pricey, might be well worth the price, can't knock the product, as i haven't tried it.

Either one of these bowls might very well be the last bowl i'd ever buy, but that's all dependant on whether i like them. And it's a huge price to find out!
Pereira at $47.00 is steep. I was unaware of the price increase. I bought it about 6 months ago and it was $32.00. It is a great bowl, BUT at $47, not so much. I would rather pay a few dollars more and get the CaYuen bowl. I have no idea what CaYuen can or can't modify, but if you want a brush insert, I would contact Rich through Etsy and see if he can do it. His bowls and workmanship are second to none.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Pereira at $47.00 is steep. I was unaware of the price increase. I bought it about 6 months ago and it was $32.00. It is a great bowl, BUT at $47, not so much. I would rather pay a few dollars more and get the CaYuen bowl. I have no idea what CaYuen can or can't modify, but if you want a brush insert, I would contact Rich through Etsy and see if he can do it. His bowls and workmanship are second to none.
I just rest my brush in the CaYuen in between passes.... and I keep it in hot, but shallow sink water in between passes, too, so the lather stays warm.

I've only had three shaving bowl types. A handmade lipped bowl Stef Baxter makes for Executive Shaving Company... lovely, but a bit small, and ummm breakable. The Timeless shaving bowl: in my view, the best, inexpensive option out there for actual shaving bowls. And finally... the CaYuen. Lathering with Rich's CaYuen bowl is fun and it's easy to work up a lather with any soap I've tried. Granted, I haven't lathered tons of different soaps, but the design lends itself to great lather and they look amazing while accomplishing the task.

I experimented with plastic, ceramic, and stainless bowls and mugs I had around the house and ended up using the bottom half of a plastic travel soap case.

The bottom ribs designed to raise the soap bar off the bottom helps to aerate the cream and the fact that it’s rectangular doesn’t matter one bit.

It ain’t fancy though, if that’s what you are into.

Pasteur's has the Pereira bowl in a few colors for $48 but they recently added a clone version for only 19 bucks-

And a smaller model real Prereira with no handle/brush holder for 24

Last edited:
Pasteur's has the Pereira bowl in a few colors for $48 but they recently added a clone version for only 19 bucks-

And a smaller model real Prereira with no handle/brush holder for 24

I am not positive, but I did check out the Shave Essentials bowl and I am pretty sure it is smaller in all dimensions than the Pereira. Again, that was a while ago.

I just got a reply back from Doug Smith, and he said he wouldn't be making any more shaving mugs... I think that he has one mug left at full price, and he has 2 for sale at 25% discount because they have ''defects''

I would have ordered already, if the color was more to my liking. Shame that he's stopping production, i would have loved that bowl in black with red accents.

On a different note... has anyone tried this bowl from the Etsy seller karengoldberg1? They come on varying colors and 3 different sizes

image_2023-12-27_231447593.pngimage_2023-12-27_231544632.pngimage_2023-12-27_231625139.png

I use a discarded plastic yogurt container, about 3.5 by 3 inches. Works great.

It's funny, ...Our old apartment had kind of a very old and crappy bathroom, so i tried to class it up a little with fancy bowls and accessories, ...our new place has a much nicer bathroom and now I prefer very simple plastic bowls and tupperwares for shaving, much less clanking and chance of damaging/chipping the nicer sink and tiles.

Last edited:
I don't bowl lather any longer, but I enjoyed this one from RazoRock. It's a style that's widely available from other vendors as well.

I think all of those shaped lather bowls took the design from the Captain’s Choice lather bowls. Many choose to buy the Razorock or other cheap knock offs. I prefer buying from the company that spent the time and money to develop the design, Captain’s Choice.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I think all of those shaped lather bowls took the design from the Captain’s Choice lather bowls. Many choose to buy the Razorock or other cheap knock offs. I prefer buying from the company that spent the time and money to develop the design, Captain’s Choice.

That's my M.O. as well, wasn't aware this type was a copy or clone. There's definitely a plethora out there.

I just got a reply back from Doug Smith, and he said he wouldn't be making any more shaving mugs... I think that he has one mug left at full price, and he has 2 for sale at 25% discount because they have ''defects''

I would have ordered already, if the color was more to my liking. Shame that he's stopping production, i would have loved that bowl in black with red accents.

On a different note... has anyone tried this bowl from the Etsy seller karengoldberg1? They come on varying colors and 3 different sizes

View attachment 1770825View attachment 1770826View attachment 1770827
Those are beautiful

I make soap as a hobby. I'm pretty interested in lather, and that has led me to being somewhat fascinated with bowls as well. I have tried a BUNCH of methods for creating what I feel is the proper lather. I don't face lather as I do not enjoy it. I also do not get the best lather from this method. I do on occasion palm lather. I find this method works very well but I also find it too messy for me. I do use it when I travel though. I also use it to do the initial cleaning and break in of a new brush. This brings me back to bowls. Oh the damn rabbit holes we go down in this hobby.

I use three bowls. I own MANY! First off, for the winter, I cannot more strongly agree with @musicman1951 and his recommendation of the Georgetown scuttle. I glued a rubber disk to the bottom of mine to aide in stability on the counter and reduce the pottery clanking noise. I find warm lather behaves differently than cold lather and requires more whipping.

The next bowl I use is the recommendation from @Ckmaui , the Timeless bowl. It produces great lather and is easy to hold. I've dropped it and never had had to clean up splintered ceramic shards ;).

The third bowl I use and it really has replaced the Timeless bowl is the Yates Precision Manufacturing Shave Bowl. This bowl is 3D printed. It has a raised Yates logo on the bottom. The logo coupled with the texture of the printing material provides, for me, the prefect bowl to create a very creamy lather.

I do have one honorable mention that I use in the winter and with certain brushes only and that is the rubber William Marvy Shaving Mug. I find this mug to hold warmth much better than the Timeless or the Yates. The rubber texture provides a wonderful surface to whip lather. The downfall of this mug is it's depth couple with its narrow profile. I find this mug works so very well with brushes that have a total height of 120mm'ish. Brushes at 80mm'ish do not work well due to having to stick too much of your hand into the mug to reach the bottom. That restricts the ability to whip properly. I have many brushes in the 100mm'ish range that work OK but not optimally in that mug. I will tell you if Marvy produced this mug in a shorter and wider version, this would be my go to bowl (mug) for lathering. It holds heat well too.

Well, I'm going to be biased here and say that the best lather bowl out there is my very own 3D-printed design, lol. Like many here, I have several lather bowls, mugs, and a scuttle. Several Old Spice mugs are holding a puck and are kept upside down on a soft drawer liner to form a seal when they're not in use, and yes, they're good enough to lather in. In the winter I prefer a scuttle, especially for Straight razor shaves. When I'm not using my design, I almost always go for the Captain's Choice lather bowl. It is a simple, but very functional design that just works well. It is easy to hold, easy to clean, and looks good on the counter.

Top Bottom