What's new

Having problems keeping my lather in the shaving bowl / Ideal shaving bowl dimensions?

The OP asks about bowl lathering and people post to say they don't bowl lather? :confused1:

I face lather most of the time, actually, but it's not either/or. It's good to be flexible.
If you're referring to me, I'll tell you that it was to say that you don't have to just use foam in a bowl... you can also try foaming on your face! My thought was, you don't need a bowl

I expressed an opinion sir

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If you're referring to me, I'll tell you that it was to say that you don't have to just use foam in a bowl... you can also try foaming on your face! My thought was, you don't need a bowl

I expressed an opinion sir
Too much contact with a brush can affect my face. That's the main reason I don't face lather. The other reason is keeping my soap tubs/containers pristine. I do finish up the lather on my face but gently. Actually making the lather on my face is counter productive for my skin.

I always have better success with bowl lathering than face lathering. I have a Beau Brummell bowl (amazon) that works well. It's fairly deep with wider top. I still overflow it, but that generally occurs more using my larger brush than the smaller one. No biggie. Most of it remains inside the bowl unless I get aggressive with the mixing using the larger brush. Even then, I just wipe the brush on the sides of the bowl and get it back in there.
IMG_0827.jpeg

Last edited:
Lathering in a soup mug has always worked fine for me. I've tried using a bowl, but I'm too much of a klutz, so the handle on the mug works out better for me.

I have had good success with my Proraso lathering bowl. For my larger brushes I use a hammered stainless bowl I picked up in one of those dollar stores. Works very well.

I have also played with the idea of having a bowl 3D printed. Sugardaddy uses one on his videos. Looks really nice.

This past 1.5 months I seemed to have taken a break from bowl lathering and have been face lathering. So far I have grown to like it.

Enjoy,

Guido

Hi, up until now I've formed my lather in the same container the shaving soap (Proraso red) is in (on top of the soap), and I've been able to get a pretty decent lather using this method. However, I was curious if a better lather could be achieved using a shaving bowl, and the answer is yes, I'm able to get a thicker lather with a bowl, but I seem to lose half of it by it having a tendency to flow over the sides of the bowl, on the brush handle and all over my hands. Tried a whole bunch of different bowls of differing sizes, but still don't seem able to keep the lather in the bowl! Am I doing something wrong? Is there a perfect size in terms of depth and width (read 3" deep and 4" wide somewhere, but tried a bowl that size). Would love any tips, thanks.
Personal opinion but I do not think the bowl size is super critical (width or depth). I would try loading the brush less and using less water and see how it goes. Add more of each as needed until you find that ideal balance point and get the lather you want without having it overflowing on you.

I tend to employ bowl and face lathering together. The face and bowl prepare the lather, but the brush holds the lion's share (and keeps it nice and hydrated) thereafter. I hit the bowl to 'refresh' the lather in the brush a little between passes.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I can think of two solutions:

1. You have a kitchen full of different sized bowls/containers. Try a bigger one. Try a deeper one. There are disadvantages of going too big, but have some fun - it's only soap.

2. Slow your roll. You don't need to swirl the brush at too high an RPM. I'm obviously only guessing here, but I've been using a scuttle for many years and never get soap on my hands. You might find that going a bit slower adds less air - a good thing. You might want to try starting with a little less water and then add it as you go.

I had to learn to do this when face lathering with a synthetic brush. If I swirl at the same speed I use with badger the synthetic brush happily throws lather all over my arm, the sink, etc.

This dog bowl works quick and easy for me. I swirl around the bottom and sides and can push the lather down from the sides smoothly because of the gentle curve. I’m done in a minute.

Attachments

• IMG_0465.jpeg
    IMG_0465.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I have a lather bowl that used to be a ramekin that I found in an antique store (techniquely it still is a ramekin but I like to believe it prefers to be a lathering bowl). It is smooth pottery but square so I get some agitation in the corners. It also has a good little handle on the side for secure grip.

The best thing about it though is that it has a fairly pronounced lip which turns in toward the bowl the whole way around the rim. This holds the lather in and if it gets too foamy flips it back into the bowl.

IMG_1423.jpg
I tend to face lather mostly now and haven't used it for sometime, now that I am getting a good consistent face lather it may be time to try the bowl again.

Good luck.

I have had good success with my Proraso lathering bowl. For my larger brushes I use a hammered stainless bowl I picked up in one of those dollar stores. Works very well.

I have also played with the idea of having a bowl 3D printed. Sugardaddy uses one on his videos. Looks really nice.

This past 1.5 months I seemed to have taken a break from bowl lathering and have been face lathering. So far I have grown to like it.

Enjoy,

Guido
Ever since I uploaded my 3D-printed lather bowl design and Sugardaddy started using it in videos it has become a popular download, but I think it's time to revise the design. I have several variations and the one that seems to hold the lather well is a shallow version with a wider bottom. I will keep testing it till I'm comfortable with the design before I make it available for download.

Ever since I uploaded my 3D-printed lather bowl design and Sugardaddy started using it in videos it has become a popular download, but I think it's time to revise the design. I have several variations and the one that seems to hold the lather well is a shallow version with a wider bottom. I will keep testing it till I'm comfortable with the design before I make it available for download.
Cool! I think it’s a beautiful designed bowl!

What ligament did you use to print it? I was slightly worried that soap might get between printed layers.

Thanks!

Guido

Top Bottom