What's new

Having problems keeping my lather in the shaving bowl / Ideal shaving bowl dimensions?

Cool! I think it’s a beautiful designed bowl!

What ligament did you use to print it? I was slightly worried that soap might get between printed layers.

Thanks!

Guido
The one I printed for Sugardaddy was basic PLA, and that was about five years ago and it's still going strong. Now I mostly print with PLA+ which has slightly better fusing properties. But If you print slowly and with 100% infill, just about any filament will work. A 0.12mm layer height is the magic number for this design.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This is my bowl I bought and modified and works the best of all my other shaving mugs to bowls. The handle helps me hold the bowl securely + have warm lather anytime I desire and that is most of the time. 20 seconds under the hot water tap gives me amble time to enjoy the lather + brush much better than other plastic to ceramic mugs I own (ceramic retains heat well) . Well over 1,200 daily uses with this bowl! Dimensions are 5" wide X 1.5" deep approximately works great.
I press in the soap or cream first and then heat under the tap (20 seconds with hot water) and just lather with a warm brush works real well for a nice warm lather for my shaving needs consistently.
I do face lather with CeraVe hand bar soap as a Pre-shave with a designated 24mm Cashmere brush every morning as a daily shaver also.
(Old archived photos with my onion soap bowl modified)
Shaving bowl Septemper 11, 2022.jpg
Lather collage 2 Razorock Don Marco.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
When I use a bowl, ideal dimensions for me would be 1" tall by 2" 1/2 diameter. A bowl with the sides coming up 90 degrees works best as opposed to a V shaped bowl (45 degrees). Any bowl will work but, if I can grip the bowl it's easier.

For the good old ASCII pictures. Something like this: |___|, not that: \___/.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I use a bowl, ideal dimensions for me would be 1" tall by 2" 1/2 diameter. A bowl with the sides coming up 90 degrees works best as opposed to a V shaped bowl (45 degrees). Any bowl will work but, if I can grip the bowl it's easier.

For the good old ASCII pictures. Something like this: |___|, not that: \___/.
My CaYuen bowls are more like this, I think: (___). That upper curve in keeps the soap contained very well. The large size is pretty wide. The interior has small ridges and a textured surface so soap lathers quickly and completely with no damage to my brushes.

Lather bowls don't work at all well for me.

The main thing they seem to do, is bulk up the lather by adding air. If you look at how little soap and water is needed for a bowlful of lather, air is by far the biggest ingredient of bowl lather. That doesn't improve lather for me, it ruins it, and the shave suffers too.

That said, I do like the shaving mugs like these with the bumps in the bottom...
^^^ this ^^^
In my experience, lather quality is inversely proportional to how fluffy/photogenic it is. Others clearly differ on this, but I avoid that monster thread where everyone posts photos of their lathered brushes.

OP: study the Foolproof Lathering thread.

... Thom

Last edited:
Top Bottom