What's new

What blade works best in a Henson razor?

My Henson came with a tuck of RK blades.

I don’t know who they are manufactured by.
I'm not familiar wit RK blades, but I understand that's what Henson supplies with their razors now. When I got my Henson a couple of years (?) ago, it came with 100 Astra SPs.

5th and final shave (for the purposes of this comparison) today with the Bic Chrome Platinum. My goal is 5 shaves with each blade, figuring that will give me a good all-around perspective, including longevity. Soap today was Seaforth Spiced. Fist pass, WTG was near perfect once again. Second pass, XTG, was little rougher, let's say less than perfect, but still very acceptable. I really noticed signifigant drop-off on the third pass, ATG. There was quite a bit of tugging, and I had to proceed vey carefully, but got the job done with some slight discomfort. There was some minor irritation in a couple of spots, and some stinging with the rinse and cold water splash, as well as when I applied my Seaforth Spiced aftershave splash, which contains alcohol. Shave #5 was not BBS or as close as the last few, but still quite good in that regard.

The verdict: This is a wonderful blade, definitely a notch above the Astras I've been using for so long. Since blades are so inexpensive, relatively speaking, I see no reason to push these past 3 or 4 shaves, at which point there is a drop-off in performance for me. Up until that point, however, the Bic CP was outstanding, sharp and smooth for me. In the future, I probably won't do a full 3-pass shave every time anyway; probably don't need to with this blade anyway, so I could possible get a few more shaves out of each blade. Hard to imagine any being much better, but we will see. YMMV.

Monday or Tuesday, I will give the Personna Lab Blue a go.

Love the Henson razors: If your technique is good, these razors should give you a good shave with most of the "really sharp" blades. All of the following have worked well for me in the + and ++ models: Feather, BIC, Perma-Sharps, Nacets, 7 O'clock Blacks, GSBs and Israeli Reds. Note that I love Wizamet and Rapira Platinum Luxe blades, but not in the Henson. Same for the Russian Astra Platinum. If I were more precise with my technique, I'm sure those three blades would be fine as well. Have not tried Kai blades in either of my Hensons yet.

The RKs that came with the Henson are sitting in a drawer. I'll be using them to remove the registration from my windshield every two years.

Love the Henson razors: If your technique is good, these razors should give you a good shave with most of the "really sharp" blades. All of the following have worked well for me in the + and ++ models: Feather, BIC, Perma-Sharps, Nacets, 7 O'clock Blacks, GSBs and Israeli Reds. Note that I love Wizamet and Rapira Platinum Luxe blades, but not in the Henson. Same for the Russian Astra Platinum. If I were more precise with my technique, I'm sure those three blades would be fine as well. Have not tried Kai blades in either of my Hensons yet.

The RKs that came with the Henson are sitting in a drawer. I'll be using them to remove the registration from my windshield every two years.
The RK comment made me chuckle.

I have a Henson AL13 and have been using Astra SP blades for some time, but I'm about to run out and wanted to try something new. What do you use in your Henson, and what type of blade works best (sharp/agressive/mild, etc.)?

Why try something unknown when you have been using something with know results?

Sometime you find something that works, and I personally stay with it.

I do this with thing like shoes, jeans, grocery shopping.

Why change to experiment.
I do that too, but eventually try other things just in case there's something I may like better. No big deal, there's no right or wrong, entirely a matter of personal preference. YMMV!

First shave this morning with a Personna Lab Blue in my Henson, and it looks like another winner! But that also may be a problem. My goal was to find "the best", but this made me aware of just how futile that may be. That's a good problem to have however, and I can live with it!

For today's shave, I used PdP 63 soap. With a full 3 days since the last shave, the first pass WTG was incredibly smooth. The second pass XTG was just as smooth and effortless, and plenty sharp. 3rd pass and spot touch-ups were nice and easy as well. Finished off with rinse and cold water splash, pat dry, and application of PdP 63 AS balm. My perception was that this blade was not quite as sharp as the BIC, but the end result was an incredibly close, smooth, irritation free shave. "Emaculate" comes to mind. I used the word "smooth" a lot here, and I can see why the Personna Lab Blue has that reputation. Based off of one shave, I can easily see why this is a go-to for so many shavers. If it holds up for 3-4 shaves, it very well could find a spot in any final rotation, and make such decisions difficult if not impossible!

One unexpected or unintended positive that is coming out of this search/experiment is that it is making me pay close attention to everything; my technique, my prep, my process, etc.. It's really made me slow down, and in that way, it has been a return to the almost zen-like, meditative aspect of this thing. I know that often I will be in a hurry and won't have time for all of that, and will have to make do with a quick one-pass shave, but getting back to the ritual has been a blessing. I can already say as well, that the quality of the shave itself, in terms of results, has improved noticeably, apart from using better blades.

I used Bolzanos for the first time in my Henson ++ and it was a great shave under less than ideal conditions (my first wet shave at the gym). I am trying Accuforge (new branded Personna Lab Blue) today and will report back.

Shave 2 with the Personna Lab Blue is in the books. Another fantastic shave; soap was Haslinger Schafmilch. It seemed like the blade may have been a little sharper this time, but still incredibly smooth. All 3 passes were smooth and effortless, with only minimal tugging in a couple of typical spots when I went straight against the grain on the 3rd pass, but again I took my time and used light pressure and short strokes. I did get a little more agressive ATG on the sides of my throat, and wound up with a few tiny weepers, but they closed up quickly with a cold water splash, pat dry, and application of Lucky Tiger. An hour and a half later, and I have a smooth, irritation free face and neck.

At this point, I could not pick a favorite between the Bic and the Personna Lab Blue, as both have been excellent. A few more shaves to go with the Personna, we'll see. I'm really amazed at how much difference a blade can make, as well as slowing down and paying attention to technique.

Last edited:
Top Bottom