What's new

What blade do you use in your Muramasa?

For the sake of argument, I just shaved with Muramasa set on 4 for all passes with a new Feather blade inserted (my usual procedure, WTG, ATG, chin line and neck ATG in 90° different direction and followed by slight buffing of some areas on neck, chin, moustache). BBS for sure. But two tiny weepers on neck/chin transition, the tiniest of irritation on my neck. But after aplying shave balm weepers were no more, and iritation was not there in a few minutes.

For me setting 3 is the sweet spot for a new Feather. I go with the flow and increase by feel above 3 for subsequent shaves, depending on perceived sharpness/tugging. But do not go above 4.

P.s.
In the past I did also shave a few times with 5 on Muramasa + new Feather. Even at that setting it is still a very well behaved razor, but a bit much for daily shaving since the irritation is more pronounced, so I do not use that setting. For me I imagine it would be useful, if I would shave every 3 days or more.
So, it looks like the Portuguese razor with Japonese names likes Japonese blades best. Go figure...

BTW, It's 10 hours since I tried the Kai blade at Level 5.

I also do like Kai blades. But the problem at least for me is their stratospheric price. Feathers, which are not exactly cheap to say the least, are 35 euros/100 blades whereas Kai blades hover around 50 euros/100 blades. And I get Feathers on Black friday deals with 30%+ discounts meaning i get them in bulk at around 22 euros/100 blades. Combine that with Kai blades scarcity in europe (my main webshop has not had it in stock in the last 2 years) which results in me treating myself with one tuck of 5 Kai blades a year.

I also do like Kai blades. But the problem at least for me is their stratospheric price. Feathers, which are not exactly cheap to say the least, are 35 euros/100 blades whereas Kai blades hover around 50 euros/100 blades. And I get Feathers on Black friday deals with 30%+ discounts meaning i get them in bulk at around 22 euros/100 blades. Combine that with Kai blades scarcity in europe (my main webshop has not had it in stock in the last 2 years) which results in me treating myself with one tuck of 5 Kai blades a year.
Kai blades are $35/100 on Amazon in the US. Expensive, but doable. Given that one spends about $.50 to $.75 per shave for good soap/preshave/shave soap/aftershave, $.08/shave for the blade seems...ok. And if you amortize the cost of a dozen premium razors and a dozen brushes across twenty years, that's another $.50/day. Can wet shaving save a person money? Absolutely. Is it saving me money? Yeahhhh...No.

I have SV, Ariana and Evans, Grooming Dept., Simpsons, Shavemac, Blackland, Henson, Oneblade and Gillette/P&G on direct deposit.

With all that, my daily shave is still only 20% of the cost of a Starbucks latte, and much more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Well most of my shaves is with Feathers, and I like it the most in Muramasa. Some shaves I had with Feathers were the sharpest and smoothest I ever had with any razor. However technique and slippery nature of a soap really do matters a lot. I find Feathers in Muramasa to be the best in really slippery lathers using neutral angle.

Recently I found Perma-Sharps were quite good, almost as sharp. I consider purchasing larger amount just for price/performance ratio for me in comparisson with Feathers. (I have to test Nacet, since it is supposed to be similar.)

Dorcos (STP301 and ST301) are surprisingly good. These blades I choose if time is of the essence. Put one Dorco in and then go zapping around your face. If speed, CCS or DFS is your goal. Really smooth albeit with a lower sharpness.
What setting do you use for Perma-Sharps - same as for Feathers...3.5 to 4?

They are in EU, very cheap shipping and Kai blades always in stock

So, it looks like the Portuguese razor with Japonese names likes Japonese blades best. Go figure...

The name is no surprise for a company that says “Like the Japanese katanas, our products are made with extreme dedication and attention to detail. Combining this with the obsessive precision of modern engineering.”

For once, I do not consider that claim hype as I still have to come across a safety razor that is better designed, built, and more precisely machined than my four Tataras.

B.

Perhaps Tatara SE razor which we are still waiting for..
Agreed. I have (and love) the Genesis. I get three remarkable shaves from that razor with the autostop blade. Been looking at the Vector and LaFaulx for something in AC, but I'm sure Tatara would do a great one.

Agreed. I have (and love) the Genesis. I get three remarkable shaves from that razor with the autostop blade. Been looking at the Vector and LaFaulx for something in AC, but I'm sure Tatara would do a great one.
I have WR4 and La Faulx is coming in next couple days (already shipped). Tatara SE has very tough work to be better or at same level, but I hope at least 🤣

Perma-sharp on setting 3.5 works really well for me.
The Nacet blade was too flexible, but works really well in my Masamune.

I also liked the Wizamet blade in the Muramasa, but it needs one shave to settle in, or some palm stropping before the first use.

Palm stropping is underrated in my opinion.

I use the 7 o'clock (blue package) super platinum, no longer made in St. Petersburg, because it's the only blade I have. I use the Muramasa most of the time. I love the blade, and for me it works just fine in that razor.

After trying all kinds of other blades, I bought a lifetime supply years ago, during what I perceived to be a looming shaveapocalypse. Not my only phobia, but for this one at least I'm prepared.

Just wrapping up testing with the Kai. Dialed in for a great shave at between 3.5 and 4. I'm doing a blade test for some London Bridge blades. May try them in the Muramasa

Top Bottom