What's new

3D Printed Travel Case for the Henson AL13 Safety Razor

Just a little Show n' Tell. Some time ago I was asked to design a 3d printed travel case for the Henson razor, but I kept shelving the project because I didn't have a Henson and there wasn't enough info to recreate my own as a guideline. Well, I finally got a Henson AL13, and now the case is finally finished. This is a special design for me because as far as I know, it is the only 3d printable design that features the first-ever fully functional print-in-place vertical hinge. By printing in a vertical position, the hinge design takes full advantage of layer orientation which makes it stronger, with higher tolerances and longer lasting. Ok, the last sentence was just 3d printing nonsense. Either way, as I do with most of my designs, the file for this travel case is available as a free download for personal non-commercial use. If you own a Henson and want to print your own, or if you have a 3d printer and want to print it for a friend or fellow wet-shaver, you can find the file here or here.

20240302_091251.jpg
20240302_091418.jpg
20240302_091629.jpg
20240302_091942.jpg
20240302_091753.jpg
20240302_092016.jpg
20240302_090939.jpg
20240302_091716.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you @SlimGem for your generosity 🙏🏼. I don't have a 3d printer but I have a Henson Al13 in blue, just like yours 😁.

I have downloaded the files and when I get a chance I will print myself a beautiful 3d printed travel case. It looks nice and will be so practical 🪒👌🏼.

Thank you @SlimGem for your generosity 🙏🏼. I don't have a 3d printer but I have a Henson Al13 in blue, just like yours 😁.

I have downloaded the files and when I get a chance I will print myself a beautiful 3d printed travel case. It looks nice and will be so practical 🪒👌🏼.
You are very welcome! I hope it works out for you.

Impressive, nice job 👍 How many hours did you put into this project, from idea to finished product?
Thanks! I started three months ago, but the project was on and off, and at some point completely sidetracked. Looking at the CAD timeline there are close to forty hours. A good portion of that time was allocated to the fully functional vertical hinge design which in the 3d printing world is the first of its kind and a big deal for many of us in the hobby.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
And now I have one too!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Weight of razor, blades, and case all together, in grams.​

I gotta say, when I first saw this case, I immediately fell in love with it. I am not very often impressed by 3D printed stuff, but this particular piece of art, captured my heart. This also marks a milestone folks, my very first 3D printed object. When I tapped on the case, it almost sounded metallic.

The thickness of the plastic, and its rigidness, is really quite impressive. Even the hinges feel like top notch to me. The hasp even gives me a solid tactile snap when closed, and takes a bit of pressure to get the case open. This case was designed in such a way, that all the pieces that make up the Henson AL13, fit in very nicely, I like!

I also appreciate that cubby slot for a tuk of blades. PRO tip, stick a bare blade in that cubby first, then insert the tuk of blades over that, and its a snug fit, aint going to move around. This case was technically designed for the Henson AL13 V2 razor. But guess what? It holds the Henson AL13 V1 razor in there just fine.

I am very happy with my new case. 😍

And now I have one too!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Weight of razor, blades, and case all together, in grams.​

I gotta say, when I first saw this case, I immediately fell in love with it. I am not very often impressed by 3D printed stuff, but this particular piece of art, captured my heart. This also marks a milestone folks, my very first 3D printed object. When I tapped on the case, it almost sounded metallic.

The thickness of the plastic, and its rigidness, is really quite impressive. Even the hinges feel like top notch to me. The hasp even gives me a solid tactile snap when closed, and takes a bit of pressure to get the case open. This case was designed in such a way, that all the pieces that make up the Henson AL13, fit in very nicely, I like!

I also appreciate that cubby slot for a tuk of blades. PRO tip, stick a bare blade in that cubby first, then insert the tuk of blades over that, and its a snug fit, aint going to move around. This case was technically designed for the Henson AL13 V2 razor. But guess what? It holds the Henson AL13 V1 razor in there just fine.

I am very happy with my new case. 😍
Thank you for sharing. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Just a bit of additional info on the design.
Looking at how the tuk of blades just slides into the compartment, it would appear as if it can easily slide back out. But that doesn't happen. When the case is closed, the razor's cap acts as a stop, keeping the tuk of blades in place. 👍

Top Bottom