What's new

Using coti slurry on another stone (solution to dished coti)

Hi there,
I recently got a 7 x 1.5 dished vintage coticule. It's about 11 mm on the thick end and 8-9mm in the middle. I feel I'll be wasting a lot of material if I flatten as is and wondering if I could use coticule slurry on another base stone. This way I could use coticule cutting power on another stone until the coti is almost flat. 3mm is a lot of coti - and I wonder if what I'm planning is even practical in my lifetime.

I've seen other references to coticule powder and actually this topic itself (coti on ark). I figured I'd restart the conversation since earlier attempts didn't get anywhere.

Coticule slurry will work on other stones(I've used it on arks and a couple others) but if it's an old hard one you probably won't get it glad that way. You could flatten it drywith a diamond plate and save the dust, or do it wet and save the slurry and dry it. I've put powder from really fine coticule on canvas strops before really lightly but I can't say one way or another if it did much.

One other compromise option is to bisect the stone and flatten each half to remove less material overall. It becomes a travel/focused sharpening stone (with a matching slurry stone no less). I probably wouldn't do it if it were my only coti, but it's an option if you have a stable and want another option.

To be fair, 8mm of coti layer is still fairly good, even if you flatten at full length.

Got pics?

Here are some pics. Pics with yellow side on bottom to show dishing IMG_0052.jpegIMG_0051.jpegIMG_0050.jpeg

It appears to be backed by BBW - glued, not natural.

I tried using one side to slurry on another coti - feel it’s fairly hard.

I'd just lap it. There are plenty of slurry stones out there. I don't see coticule slurry being so special I didn't lap the rest of the stone flat. Might be able to save the coticule dust/slurry as you lap it. Then if you get a stone with a small crack you could try a glue/coti mix to fill it.

Here are some pics. Pics with yellow side on bottom to show dishing View attachment 1729850View attachment 1729851View attachment 1729852

It appears to be backed by BBW - glued, not natural.

I tried using one side to slurry on another coti - feel it’s fairly hard.
That big red streak in the bbw makes me suspect you got a decent one, you should try that side out too. I don't really like using the glued ones, it seems the really good ones are naturally bound to coticule layer.

Top Bottom