What's new

Toy or Serious Brush: A Consideration of the Wee Scot

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, I gave up & ordered one from WCS. It arrived in the standard Simpson's red box, when I opened it I was shocked how small it was. My first move was for a tape measure to see if perhaps I received a toy promotional model. Nope, that is what 67 mm on a 14 mm knot looks like .. Wow, this is tiny. I deskunkified it overnight & will try it later on, but wow is it small ..

+1 I ordered one and hope it arrives early next week. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I ordered from Bullgoose and it arrived in my mailbox two days later with some blades and a cream sample. Great customer service, fast shipping, and a friendly gent on the other side of the transaction. Thanks, Phil!

The WS is defunking and get used tomorrow morning.

Been using my new Wee Scot for a week now.

Does a great job of lathering my face and not wasting cream or soap like a larger brush.

I'm coming to the opinion that the Wee Scot is not small but all other brushes are just too big.

I used it this morning with my Sunday regular, Mama Bear's Rose Ice. It lathered it easily and felt great on my face. I'll be using it with a cream tomorrow morning.

I got mine last week from WCS...I need to use it a few more times before I have a really good handle on it...but it is so TINY...:blink:

Been using my new Wee Scot for a week now.

Does a great job of lathering my face and not wasting cream or soap like a larger brush.

I'm coming to the opinion that the Wee Scot is not small but all other brushes are just too big.

i agree for the majority of your sentiment, but i think the knot is great, but i do start to feel finger joint issues after a bit and any lather gets on handle needs to be addresses immediately.

I need to use it a few more times before I have a really good handle on it
And you'll get one before the Wee Scot knot does. I think the very small grip is the dealbreaker for a lot of men.

I see the Wee Scot discussion thread has left its pinned sticky environs to work its way through the B&B historical threads. I think everyone involved with the thread origin and writeups did a fine job. Hear, hear!

Legion

Staff member
I just had one arrive this morning, which I bought off BST.

Yes, as others have said, the pictures really dont prepare you for the size of the thing. But if it performs as I hope it will be perfect for my overseas trip in a couple of months.

I've matched it to my kangaroo travel strop and my shorty razor. If anyone steals my luggage they are going to think it came from a circus midget!

The previous owner of my brush has fitted two rubber O rings around the handle. I think that is a good idea for improving grip, and it adds nothing to the size.

I shaved last night but I am really keen to try it out. I might just whip up a batch of lather for the fun of it. :blushing:

And you'll get one before the Wee Scot knot does. I think the very small grip is the dealbreaker for a lot of men.

I see the Wee Scot discussion thread has left its pinned sticky environs to work its way through the B&B historical threads. I think everyone involved with the thread origin and writeups did a fine job. Hear, hear!

The thread had a good six week run as a sticky, and I don't expect it to disappear. The link will always be available in the Ultimate Brush Chronicles Sticky.

As with all good threads like this, it's the membership that made this one run. :thumbup1:

Legion

Staff member
Well, I gave up & ordered one from WCS. It arrived in the standard Simpson's red box, when I opened it I was shocked how small it was. My first move was for a tape measure to see if perhaps I received a toy promotional model. Nope, that is what 67 mm on a 14 mm knot looks like .. Wow, this is tiny. I deskunkified it overnight & will try it later on, but wow is it small ..

Question- You mentioned yours came in a red box. Mine came in a grey one. Does that mean mine (second hand) is a pre-Vulfix one? If so, what is the difference, if any?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Question- You mentioned yours came in a red box. Mine came in a grey one. Does that mean mine (second hand) is a pre-Vulfix one? If so, what is the difference, if any?

Sorry, no excuse but I mis-spoke, it was in a grey box. Red is for Rooney

Mine came today from WCS, along with a tub of Cella and a puck of MWF. Although I have read the threads, looked at the pictures with other brushes, measured, there is nothing that prepares one for the actual size of the Wee Scot. I think this will be an ideal brush for me. In December I bought the $25.00 trial package from AOS consisting of pre-shave oil, cream, ASB and a brush. When I first looked at it, the brush looked like a toy. After using it, I realized it was about the right size for me. The Wee Scot is actually a good bit smaller. Since I have a full beard and only shave my neck, this should be perfect.

I am also looking forward to my first shave with Cella. Especially after Marco's great review.

P

Pjotr

i agree for the majority of your sentiment, but i think the knot is great, but i do start to feel finger joint issues after a bit and any lather gets on handle needs to be addresses immediately.

You should try this:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=208395&highlight=Scot

I did it to mine and it really works. I haven't got a decent camera so this is droffilcal's BST thread. Great idea droffilcal! When I first saw it the brush purist in me started protesting but then it's something you would do to your favourite racket, stick or bat so I got my head around it that way. And I now think it actually looks pretty cool. It makes a difference when the little dude is covered in lather and slippery. You can get o-rings from any decent automotive store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received mine yesterday. What a great little brush! The size reminds me of the first brush I purchased - a really crummy C&E travel brush - but the knot on the wee scot is fantastic. Here's a picture of it resting comfortably on my main rotation shelf in the medicine cabinet.

Legion

Staff member
You should try this:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=208395&highlight=Scot

I did it to mine and it really works. I haven't got a decent camera so this is droffilcal's BST thread. Great idea droffilcal! When I first saw it the brush purist in me started protesting but then it's something you would do to your favourite racket, stick or bat so I got my head around it that way. And I now think it actually looks pretty cool. It makes a difference when the little dude is covered in lather and slippery. You can get o-rings from any decent automotive store.
I'm the lucky SOB that bought that brush, and after trying it out today I can say the O rings are a great idea. That little brush worked like a champ, and I had no trouble holding onto it. :thumbup:

:bumping this thread:

Wow! I just received my WS today and I used it for the first time (after a few defunking throwaway lathers). This is my first badger so I'm not sure if all badgers do this but DAMN it is soft! Not yet broken in, its already softer than my broken in omega boar. It has a decent amount of backbone but it is definitely harder to get hard soap on the brush tips. The brush whipped up lather in no time and it just loves water. I thought I ruined my first batch of cella because I added a decent bit of water on a small brush, but the brush just sucked up the water, made beautiful lather and had enough for my full 3 passes. I probably washed out enough soap for another pass or so.

It does seem to take a bit more time to get lather on your face because of the smaller area but I think thats part of the fun of wet shaving. I'm definitely a simpson fan because of this brush and I'm going to end up picking one more of these up to gift to my dad!

I loved the face-feel of the Wee Scot but had to sell it for two reasons: lather gets all over the handle (making it slippery) and fingers and the small diameter of the handle was not the most comfortable to hold.

Top Bottom