What's new

Thinking Outside the Christmas Meal Wrapped Box

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
In my younger days, as a shrimper, we would often for thanksgiving stuff a big sow snapper with shrimp, scallops, wild rice, sausage, cornbread, kitchen sink stuffing and broil it till the skin was nearly burnt, cover it in foil and bake another half hour, make up a sausage gravy and some rice, sautee some asparagus spears in bacon grease, maybe throw a quick red jambalaya together, and that was the thanksgiving feast on the boat. Nobody stays out over christmas, so it was always the standard turkey, ham, etc.

In the last 20 or 30 years, deep fried whole turkey has become popular. You just put oil instead of water and Zatarain's into your crawfish cooker and let that propane burner roar away.

One year, me and a bunch of neighbors all formed a Christmas convoy and drove to Texas and had a Whataburger Christmas. There were no Whataburgers in Louisiana at the time... there is one in Gonzalez, now. Anyway we should have checked... in Beaumont, they were all closed. Had to go all the way to Houston. But we pigged out on Whataburgers when we found one open. The wimmin folk brought the Christmas Spirit(s) in, in their purses, and the staff was kind enough to not bother us about outside drinks brought in, or point out that alcohol consumption was not permitted on the premises. Hey, Christmas does that to folks. Of course the fact that it was deserted except for us and we probably spent $400 in there, maybe more, might have helped. We brought several big sacks of Whataburgers back to New Orleans with us. What is Christmas without leftovers, anyway? Right?

I never cared overly much for turducken. Slow smoked chickens, now I can handle that.

Made an oyster, quail egg, and boudin stuffing for a wild turkey one year, and it was excellent. Everybody pigged on the stuffing and hardly touched the bird. So I learned to not make the stuffing too good, after that.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Christmas Dinner:

The ingredients are collected, the recipe is printed (sorta). The know how is limited but the spirit is high. I've got a kitchen, a few burners, some adult beverages for the chef and a Japanese knife to chop things up. It will all go into a big pot and I'll add some file'. Over rice will be nice.

I'll call Boudreaux.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
In my younger days, as a shrimper, we would often for thanksgiving stuff a big sow snapper with shrimp, scallops, wild rice, sausage, cornbread, kitchen sink stuffing and broil it till the skin was nearly burnt, cover it in foil and bake another half hour, make up a sausage gravy and some rice, sautee some asparagus spears in bacon grease, maybe throw a quick red jambalaya together, and that was the thanksgiving feast on the boat. Nobody stays out over christmas, so it was always the standard turkey, ham, etc.

In the last 20 or 30 years, deep fried whole turkey has become popular. You just put oil instead of water and Zatarain's into your crawfish cooker and let that propane burner roar away.

One year, me and a bunch of neighbors all formed a Christmas convoy and drove to Texas and had a Whataburger Christmas. There were no Whataburgers in Louisiana at the time... there is one in Gonzalez, now. Anyway we should have checked... in Beaumont, they were all closed. Had to go all the way to Houston. But we pigged out on Whataburgers when we found one open. The wimmin folk brought the Christmas Spirit(s) in, in their purses, and the staff was kind enough to not bother us about outside drinks brought in, or point out that alcohol consumption was not permitted on the premises. Hey, Christmas does that to folks. Of course the fact that it was deserted except for us and we probably spent $400 in there, maybe more, might have helped. We brought several big sacks of Whataburgers back to New Orleans with us. What is Christmas without leftovers, anyway? Right?

I never cared overly much for turducken. Slow smoked chickens, now I can handle that.

Made an oyster, quail egg, and boudin stuffing for a wild turkey one year, and it was excellent. Everybody pigged on the stuffing and hardly touched the bird. So I learned to not make the stuffing too good, after that.

Whenever my father drives down from Nashville, his first stop upon crossing the Texas border is Whataburger. There is just something special about a Whataburger.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Whenever my father drives down from Nashville, his first stop upon crossing the Texas border is Whataburger. There is just something special about a Whataburger.

Yep, that was back in the day. Whataburger has lost its roots. They're a McDonalds wanna be now. I don't go there anymore. Mighty Fine has taken its place.

Top Bottom