What's new

What are Ya'll Cooking for Christmas Dinner?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Christmas #2 tonight. These are Scotcharoo's. I mixture of rice crispies, chocolate, butterscotch and peanut butter.

$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Last edited:
BBQ Beef Brisket
Glazed spiral ham
Oyster dressing
Baked Mac-n-Cheese
Hash Brown casserole
Yeast Rolls
Green Beans
Key Lime Pie for dessert

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
The local grocer had soy butter so I bought some this morning. Next time I get to "town" I will see if a real store has the sunflower seed butter.
I am stoked! It has been a long time.

had never thought of it but I will look it up right now!
thank you so very much for that

The local grocer had soy butter so I bought some this morning. Next time I get to "town" I will see if a real store has the sunflower seed butter.
I am stoked! It has been a long time.

Glad to hear :thumbsup:

Edit: If you have a good blender, you could always try making your own....

Homemade Sunflower Seed Butter, Extra Creamy
Prep time: 8 mins Total time: 8 mins
Serves: 2 cups, apx

A creamy, ultra-delicious spread for everything!

Ingredients
4 cups roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds (you can roast your own by spreading raw seeds on a cookie sheet and baking in a 325 degree oven for about 15 minutes, until the seeds are turning golden and quite fragrant. Don't shortcut this step. You want them nice a toasty for the lovely flavor!)
2-4 tablespoons light tasting oil (I prefer coconut oil or light olive oil). Play this by ear..some batches I add no oil, others I need to add 4 tablespoons!
¼ teaspoon liquid stevia (optional)
½ teaspoon salt (to taste, or omit entirely...depends on your tastebuds)

Instructions
In the bowl of a 14 cup food processor, place the toasted sunflower seeds and process. (If you have a smaller processor, reduce the seeds proportionately. There needs to be enough room for the seeds to move to convert to butter!)
As mixture goes from a flour like consistency to clumping together (the oil is starting to be released from the heat of the machine and friction), add in 2 tablespoons of light tasting oil. Be patient, this can take a several minutes.
Continue processing, and as the mixture continues to warm, it should turn creamy and smooth and whir happily, easily inside the bowl. If not, it is OK to add a bit more oil until the mixture is runny and whirring smoothly.
Continue to process for another 2-3 minutes.
Add in the stevia (or any liquid sweetener like honey or maple syrup), and salt to taste, and process to mix. You sunflower butter should be ready at this point...but....
For an extra creamy punch, if you own a high powered blender, pour the mixture while still warm and liquidy into the blender cup and process one to two full cycles. (I have tried making it in my blender alone before and EVERY TIME it seemed like my blender was working WAY too hard to accomplish this, so I found the food processor/blender combo to be my best bet). If you do not have an high powered blender, it is also OK to process several more minutes in your processor for additional creaminess.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have a blend tec so when I get to town I will buy bulk at the health food store if sun butter not available!

Well, did the pork butt on Saturday. Picked it up Wednesday afternoon and rubbed it with montreal steak seasoning and yellow mustard. Placed into the 'fridge till Friday at 7 pm. Started the the smoking around 12:00 am on Saturday. Set my alarm for every two hours. Started with some coals from my woodstove. Used Stubbs hardwood charcoal and the coals from the Ash tree keeping my house warm.

I was having trouble keeping the temps up. Seemed to be 200-225 with spikes at 250. Went to using some oak and ash logs to get it going faster. For smoke, I had been soaking a bunch of hickory chunks. Sprayed down every two hours with apple juice. Foiled at 8am to 10 am and increased temp to 250-300.

Unwrapped and smoked for two more hours.

$IMG_2731.jpg

Then let it rest and pulled some for our family's Christmas celebration.

Not a whole lot left. Here is the portion remaining from 10.25 pounds:

$IMG_2733.jpg

It was a hit all around !!!!!

Top Bottom