What's new

What are Ya'll Cooking for Christmas Dinner?

I would have to consult Mom. Perhaps sub vet will share his.

I make mine with vanilla and lemon zest because I have a family member who cannot have alcohol, my grandmother used to make hers with anisette and whiskey. The basic recipe is out of an Italian cookbook, nothing special.

Well, it was going to be Traditional Roast Turkey for 12. But then the wife came down with bronchitis. So the big family Christmas dinner is postponed into January. Since there will only be three of us at home eating dinner on Dec 25th, I think I'll go find a 2 bone Standing Rib roast and make a small Prime Rib.
'cause it'll be so small, I don't think I can roast it traditionally, so I might start it with the meat very cold, slap it on a super hot grill on each side for a couple of minutes to get some color and crust, rub it with herbs, garlic and oil, and then finish it in a low oven -- maybe 250° or so until it hits about 125..
I'm guessing it will still take less than an hour....

Probably make some creamed spinach, Yorkshire pudding....

Well, it was going to be Traditional Roast Turkey for 12. But then the wife came down with bronchitis. So the big family Christmas dinner is postponed into January. Since there will only be three of us at home eating dinner on Dec 25th, I think I'll go find a 2 bone Standing Rib roast and make a small Prime Rib.
'cause it'll be so small, I don't think I can roast it traditionally, so I might start it with the meat very cold, slap it on a super hot grill on each side for a couple of minutes to get some color and crust, rub it with herbs, garlic and oil, and then finish it in a low oven -- maybe 250° or so until it hits about 125..
I'm guessing it will still take less than an hour....

Probably make some creamed spinach, Yorkshire pudding....

Mine is ribless , but tied, im going 200 for 3 hrs, for 2 ppl. Dont want to kill it.

Wow I thought I was the only one who wanted somthing different for Christmas dinner. For the last 15 years we have had a seafood dinner on the 25th. Always King crab legs and pan fried scallops then we always add something different, shrimp cocktail, mussels, oysters ect. This year I think its going to be turtle soup.

Christmas Eve dinner has always been a bigger deal than Christmas Day dinner in my family. Since my parents are currently stationed in Brussels, Belgium, I'm doing Christmas Eve dinner as a sampler of some of their favorites:

Homemade Clam Chowder to start
Ribeye Steak topped with butter and garlic shrimp
and
Brussels Sprouts with bacon and onions for a veg with a nod to their current home in Brussels!

For Christmas Day with the extended family, I'm doing a "Double Smoked" ham in the smoker.

Making up a charcuterie plate to bring to my brother-in-law's house. First time in nearly 20 years I haven't roasted some meat.

Too much! We got bacon eggs peppers sausages croissants for breakfast.
ham rolled Turkey roast, pasta salad, real salad, ABT's, scalloped potatoes for lunch, fruit platter pavlova and trifle for sweets.

and that just the stuff I've been told about!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It now looks like two Christmas dinners are in order. Christmas Day we decided on lobster. I'm going to remove the tail meat and sauté them in a reduction sauce of white wine, butter and garlic.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I was voluntold to do a brisket and a turkey and to do them today because I am working Christmas Day and the whole family will be here.
I simply replied, "Roger that!."

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 46

martym

Done

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 42
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 42

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Isn't it funny how when you know how to barbecue it's the same as knowing how to work on computers? Suddenly you've become tech-support 24/7 to family members and friends.

martym

Amen!
And everyone knows when it's going to be ready and they get here in time to eat and they must leave before its time to clean up. And they have to take plates of food home with them. Oops! Where did that come from?
I forgot. I am cooking a pot of pinto beans. Just water and a little salt and cook them until the "juice" is thick. Oh so good.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Isn't it funny how when you know how to barbecue it's the same as knowing how to work on computers? Suddenly you've become tech-support 24/7 to family members and friends.

Seems I have gotten to be "that guy" when it comes to Habanero sauce. I have 5 people begging me to make more.

Top Bottom