What's new

What are Ya'll Cooking for Christmas Dinner?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Why do we(not all) think that Christmas dinner has to be turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and stuffing. Didn't we just have all that at Thanksgiving? I'm sure some of you guys are still working on the leftovers.

Let's think outside the box this year. Why can't it be a shrimp boil? How about Italian?

I challenge you to make something else...but what will it be?

I think we will forgo the traditional Xmas Burritos, Enchiladas and Tamales for something a little less xmasy....

Sushi sounds like a good xmas alternative dinner :yesnod:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
To answer my own question, maybe something like this:

$IMG_0489.jpg

Our tradition ever since I can remember has been to do small plates, tapas style. Everyone picks one or two of their favorite finger foods/appetizers and we do a casual buffet style sitting around the living room. It varies from year to year, but standards are smoked beef tenderloin, stuffed mushrooms, oysters Rockefeller, tuna tartare, crab stuffed shrimp, lamb chops, etc.

I've always done rib roast. Simple, but different than Turkey and something you don't have all that often during the year.

we have always done a ham for Christmas , one year i had a buddy smoke a beef brisket for me ... i have a 8lb honey backed ham i froze that i think i will be simple and throw in the oven this year , so many people come in and out that a sit down dinner isnt in line , more of a set up to graze

Beef tenderloin, creamed spinach, mashed potatoes swimming in butter and sour cream, home made yeast rolls, etc.

we did all the cooking for Thanksgiving...smoked a Turkey, pork tenderloin and 2 hams...For Christmas we are going to family and let them cook :D we're bringing cookies :D

Despite my best efforts to serve something non-traditional (and some great suggestions from Aaron!), my parents have requested ham. So ham, mashed potatoes, squash, broccoli, rolls. And wine, of course.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Despite my best efforts to serve something non-traditional (and some great suggestions from Aaron!), my parents have requested ham. So ham, mashed potatoes, squash, broccoli, rolls. And wine, of course.

Well, you can't say we didn't try my friend. I like your choices though. I don't see stuffed turkey anywhere on that list. Maybe they will let you pick the wine.:lol:

Believe it or not, meat loaf. I haven't made it much this year because ground chuck has been so expensive. My kids are really looking forward to it. I'll also make a bunch of side dishes, so we'll have a feast.

We're doing a german Christmas. Sauerbraten with spaetzle, roast potatoes for those not eating wheat, red cabbage with apples, spiced cranberries in wine, and creamed leeks and mushrooms with mustard.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I usually alternate betwixt standing rib and a tenderloin roast, now this thread has me thinking. The pork tenderloin sounds like a possibility, and the meatloaf strikes a chord as well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
We're doing a german Christmas. Sauerbraten with spaetzle, roast potatoes for those not eating wheat, red cabbage with apples, spiced cranberries in wine, and creamed leeks and mushrooms with mustard.
Can't stand mushrooms but the rest sounds fantastic

One of my sisters traditionally hosts Christmas dinner for a large group of regulars. She'll have a nice Roast Beef of some kind and it will be wonderful - she's a terrific cook.

My contribution is homemade dinner rolls. I'll be up early on Christmas morning in order to bring an assortment of rye, pumpernickel and Parker House rolls. These are very popular (nothing works like butter), so I make extra for folks to bring home.

I love to cook, and will do a roast in the oven and a tri tip on the grill. Saw a cool way to bake potatoes on a cooking show, so will do those. Green beans sautéed in garlic butter and a green salad with hand made salad dressing.

Top Bottom