What's new

The Trophy Room~Post your hunting photos here.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Haven't seen one in ages, but used to have grey foxes come up. One time I heard a commotion on the back porch and the fox was having an argument with the cats over the food bowl. The cats whipped its butt.

This is the predator call I have. I don't see it on the company website now, so maybe they went on to greater and mo better models...and probably more expensive. It sounds great.

That looks identical to my Prowler other than the prowler might have a slightly bigger remote display. 🤷🏻‍♂️

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've never hunted with .22 WMR before. Would you think that at relatively close range, fired from a pistol, given proper shot placement, that it would be adequate to dispatch a chicken killing fox? I can't really go with a larger caliber due to the semi-urban environment in which I live. And I don't want to buy another gun just for dispatching this particular chicken killer.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I've never hunted with .22 WMR before. Would you think that at relatively close range, fired from a pistol, given proper shot placement, that it would be adequate to dispatch a chicken killing fox? I can't really go with a larger caliber due to the semi-urban environment in which I live. And I don't want to buy another gun just for dispatching this particular chicken killer.
I’ve killed a few Coyotes with 22wmr, but it was out of a rifle. I think it’d be adequate for a fox.

nikonNUT

I’ve seen a large fox dropped with CCI SV (right to the forehead) so I am pretty confident a WMR would give you some leeway ballistically speaking. Out of a pistol I think I would look at Federal Punch WMR. 45gr JHP at 1000FPS (and that is tested out of a handgun length barrel) should have some oomph and being sub-sonic it won’t bug your neighbors “as” bad. I can’t remember…. Do you have a .22 can? That would be even mo’ betta!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@nikonNUT , yes I have a .22 can, but not a .22 WMR threaded host, only a Ruger Single Six SA revolver. Since I don't plan on shooting the .22 WMR with any regularity around my house, I'm not overly concerned with the report, gun fire in the area is not uncommon. I use my can on my Ruger Mk III pistol and my Ruger 10/22 heavy target rifle. I have some CCI Maxi-Mag 40 gr. @ 1875 fps MV on hand and will use those. Given that I will be using iron sights, I'll probably be aiming for a heart/lung shot if the opportunity presents itself.

nikonNUT

I was invited to my bosses cabin for a little after dark pest removal. Got a double and they were big girls!
IMG_7494.jpeg

The bow is calling to you.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looks like the neighbors Terrier! :lol: And when am I coming down? New thermal will be here soon so I'll have a loaner! ;)

I'm surrounded by ranch land and they put out traps and I hear a lot of rifle fire all the time...they have kinda thinned them out some for right now.

But like Arnold says...Aaalll be Baaack.

It's spring time...babies should be here soon. I'll let you know when they pop back up again. They usually have about 20 piglets running with a sounder,

nikonNUT

Well, slipped to the garden to see what I could see and test a 5x magnifier on my PVS-14. It was nothing but birds and bugs so I ran back to the car and grabbed my called. Got situated,set it to "Field Mouse Distress" and let it roll. About 15 minutes later I saw soemthing moving about halfway up the ridge. As first I though it was a doe due to the broken up profile but figured I would test that. Stopped the call and it stopped. Started the call and it started moving towards me. Got clear and not a deer. Got the critters end sorted and let one fly at about 70 yards. Proceeded to roll down and almost deliever itself to me! When over and found a health boar raccoon! Much like my girlfreinds rants the shot went in one ear and right out the other. :lol: First critter with the Guide TR650. Garden owner is pleased!
TR650-1.jpg

BTW, the Guide continues to impress me to no end. It is actually useable on 22.4x and battery life is proving to be very good when I'm not fiddling with the setting and WiFi.

Top Bottom