What's new

The Trophy Room~Post your hunting photos here.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thats a monster for the wall!
It’s hard to tell but the right brow tine is actually a double antler? from the base, it doesn’t fork, it’s a separate tine that comes in right next to the other one. Last year this dude was 9pts, this year he’s 11. Last year there was a 12pt running around here. Waiting to see if he shows back up. They all disappeared literally 2 days before rifle season then showed up again in Jan. Must be why they’ve lived so long.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
They all disappeared literally 2 days before rifle season then showed up again in Jan. Must be why they’ve lived so long.

That's the way they are around here. After hunting season is over they show up in the yard again. I could have nailed 100 of them from the back porch out of season. I really want to keep them around the house though.

I went back to the hayfields today looking for groundhogs. I saw three and got two. A .22-250 through the back ruins their day.

20231005_144455.jpg

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Got cool and the critters are moving!!! A gent has been letting me hunt his garden spot and told me to shoot EVERYTHING! With one exception… Anyways!
Big ol’ rat!
IMG_6504.jpeg
IMG_6492.jpeg

A mouse?
IMG_6503.jpeg

Two possums! Only have video of one…
And a raccoon that I popped. It bolted, hit the fence line, and promptly disappeared! I was beyond confused! Did a little tracking and discovered an old corrugated pipe with a blood spot in it and figured it out. I was NOT sticking my arm in there! 🤣
IMG_6493.jpeg

And one of the No shoots…
IMG_6501.jpeg

Saw two deer within 50 feet of me but no depredation permit. I’m not a poacher so they walked!

nikonNUT

I love the clarity of that video in white hot! :)
Thank you Rob. I really think that a thermal sensor and core have a "break-in" peroid but maybe it was just that being in the 50s there is enough of temperature gradient that everything starts to pop? 🤷‍♂️
I'm curious about all three targets in that image.
Three? I am assuming you are refering to the one of bambi? So we have the doe and we have his scarecrow which is an MMA sparing dummy in a hat, an "I hate birds!" shirt and jeans andwhich has scared the poop outta me on more than one occation! What are you seeing for #3? A quick breakdown of some of the other stuff to clarify... Right of the tree is a picnic table and some big ol' decorative rocks. The "eggs" in the foreground are watermelons. The "smaller eggs" at the feet of the scarecrow are cantalopes.
P.S. Regarding the scarecrow... Not bad I.D.ing for a room temperature piece of rubber in clothes, eh? The little thermal continues to impress!

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
What I think you call the picnic table looked to me like the rear window of a station wagon or similar vehicle or maybe a tent or awning.

nikonNUT

What I think you call the picnic table looked to me like the rear window of a station wagon or similar vehicle or maybe a tent or awning.
I can see that. It does look like a station wagon from that angle.

nikonNUT

Been a grind at the garden spot but I finally got what the owner wanted gone! Conditions were awful aka 87% humidity, warm, and a little wind so it was like looking through gray soup! However the critters still glowed like they had been irradiated. Popped Mr. (or Mrs.) Trash Panda at about 75 yards and watched it fall out of the tree and sommersault down the side of a steep hill (great backstop BTW) and I almost did the same on recovery. Anyways... Big, and well feed, bugger! Think I got one of the garden theives!
Coon101323.jpg

nikonNUT

Exciting night! Went to the garden and saw 3 deer off the bat! And then... nothing. Just kinda chilled and finally another doe showed to nibble on some corn. That's when I saw it. Trotting up the far side of the garden not 30 yards from me was a coyote! Watched it head up the hill, circle around and get below bambi. It was just watching her when I broke the shot. Spun around and headed down the creek bed at a trot. Lined up and broke another shot... This time the dog jumped straight up, did a front flip, and grabbed a gear exiting stage left! Did I bang-flop it? No. Do I need a bigger gun? Yes! Am I suddenly hooked on predator hunting in the dark? Absolutely!!!

nikonNUT

So what were you shooting and what would you consider to replace it for your night time predator hunting?
I was shooting my Tippmann M4-22 with CCI sub-sonic HPs. I am currently eying a upper with a 12.5" Proof carbon barrel in .300BO and a piston set up from Adam's. Velocity won't improve but a 190gr. ELX should put about 500% more energy on target.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
From the folks I know that have them they have been very happy!

I thought I read once where some of the tops of the key, where the piston rod makes contact and batters the BCG were getting sheared off? Could have been another manufacturer and I'm old and forgetful.

Top Bottom