What's new

The Rooney Heritage "Stubby" Size 1 Super vs. Simpson Chubby CH1 Finest?

For what it is worth, I was in touch with Vintage Blades earlier this week. Hopefully Erin (and Jim) will not mind me posting their response here, but this is what they had to share when I inquired on getting a Stubby 1 in Finest.

"The Stubbies in finest hair were a limited, special-run. Rooney is having an awfully hard time sourcing the finest grade of hair, which results in no new brushes in finest since February of 2008. There was some hair Sabini had put aside for “a rainy day” and somehow Jim convinced him (or bribed him) to make it into brushes. I couldn’t believe how fast they flew out the door. We put them on the site and a week later we had to take the listing off because we ran out. As far as I know, there is no finest hair supply left in the UK."

That said, Vintage Blades received a few Stubby 1s in super on Monday. :w00t: I am not sure if there are any left, but you might check.

As a final note, I own an original Simpson Chubby 1 and a couple weeks ago received a Chubby 1 two-band. They are very different knots and, in my opinion (since it is the only one I have), I prefer the original. The knot is bigger, and has more of a fan shape than the bulb shape of the Simfix. And the Stubby that Texbilly has so accurately described? It used to be mine, and it is indeed an incredible brush. (He is a much better wordsmith in describing its performance.) The fact that I sold the Stubby 2 in favor of the Chubbies says something, but to make your decision that much more difficult...I bought a Stubby 1 on Monday. :blushing: For the price - $129 versus $165 - I might have to recommend the Stubby 1. I do not think you would be disappointed.

Thanks for the info from Vintage Blades. Now, if someone would just send me both a Stubby and a Chubby, I could do my own comparison. I promise to get them back to you within the next. . . five years or so. Oh, and please also send me a Rooney in finest. :wink:

Now, since I already have a Rooney 3/1 in Super, I'm wondering if it would really be worth it to add a Stubby in the same grade of hair. Since the hertitage finest is off the market for now, my only Rooney option is the Super Silvertip. Is the Heritage Super really worth a $129 if I'm already enjoying my 3/1 in Super? I'm just typing out loud here to convince myself that I shouldn't fix that which is not broken. Perhaps I should just put that $129 toward the LE 2009. I'm going to let this one stew for a few days before I make a decision.

I certainly do not want to talk you about of buying anything, but if your Rooney 3/1 provides you with the ability to comfortably shave each day you probably do not "need" the Rooney Stubby. (As if that stopped anyone.) I had a Rooney 1/1 and the Stubby 2, and I think they are leagues apart in quality. Of course, there is also a price differential, which explains it. Both can do the job, but they do it differently.

It sounds like the Chubby 1 is off the table, but I thought I would share some poor photos I took for someone else wanting to compare the old and new versions.

New on left, old on right.
View attachment 75663

View attachment 75664

I certainly do not want to talk you about of buying anything, but if your Rooney 3/1 provides you with the ability to comfortably shave each day you probably do not "need" the Rooney Stubby. (As if that stopped anyone.) I had a Rooney 1/1 and the Stubby 2, and I think they are leagues apart in quality. Of course, there is also a price differential, which explains it. Both can do the job, but they do it differently.

It sounds like the Chubby 1 is off the table, but I thought I would share some poor photos I took for someone else wanting to compare the old and new versions.

Thanks for the side by side. VERY differnt knots. Not bad looking, just different. I wonder why they didn't just give it a new name since it bears little resemblance to the old brush? (OKAY, I know, it's to continue cashing in on the popularity of the old CH1).

DSB said:
Now, since I already have a Rooney 3/1 in Super, I'm wondering if it would really be worth it to add a Stubby in the same grade of hair.

One thing of note. I do believe the hair in your 3/1 and the heritage brush is different. Maybe not a lot, but the VB website makes a distinction. I know Texbilly has a Rooney 1/1 and the Stubby 2. Maybe he can offer some perspective? Bill?

One thing of note. I do believe the hair in your 3/1 and the heritage brush is different. Maybe not a lot, but the VB website makes a distinction. I know Texbilly has a Rooney 1/1 and the Stubby 2. Maybe he can offer some perspective? Bill?

To me, each knot is great in their own way but the distinction Rooney and VB makes is valid.

Even though their lofts are much different, this still makes for a decent comparison. The short loft of the 1/1 adds backbone (relative to my 1/2) and yet the higher loft of the Stubby 2 Heritage is still stiffer. And again the tips: simply the softest I've experienced so far. The Heritage knots are definitely wonderful and unique in the Rooney line (as is the elusive Finest, it appears).

EDIT: Michael, I can't wait to hear your impressions of the Stubby 1. The stiff/soft combo of the Stubby 2 is so impressive, what would the shorter loft Stubby 1 feel like? Wow!

Last edited:
The Rooney Finest hair is so different from any other brush hair I've used, it seems to dry almost instantly after a shake and brush along a towel. The hairs are resilient and stiff, but the tips are soft and work great with soap.

The heritage hair on my stubby 2 is beautiful and soft with good backbone, but in a different way from the Rooney finest. I also find a different lather is built between each brush, the finest has smaller bubbles and a finer lather if that makes sense ..

Obviously I don't have a Simpsons to compare it against as I'm still waiting to try out a 2-band to see what its all about, but I'm a big fan of Rooney Brushes.

attachment.php

They both looks like Vulfix made, is there engraving in the old one?
If there is, then it's new Vulfix made not the old original.

Last edited:
Its all just preference, there are no good bad or better, its one of those to each their own kind of things.

+1 Shaving brushes vary tremendously, as does each person's individual preference. There isn't a universal best or worst of anything.

I don't know how much I can add to this thread, but here goes:

I have a Rooney 3-1 in Finest, and a Simpsons Two-band CH2.
I love the Finest, mostly because it is by far the most unique brush that I have ever used. It has so much backbone you can't even believe it, and tips softer than any I've ever felt before. That said, at the end of the day I still prefer my Chubby 2. The Simpsons Two-band, for me, is everything I love about Rooney Finest, but with the scrubbiness dialed back, so all that is left is the perfect amount of backbone.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
They both looks like Vulfix made, is there engraving in the old one? If there is, then it's new Vulfix made not the old original.

Thanks for the clarification, Gister. There is engraving on the "old" one, so I stand corrected on the super badger being a Simpson original. (When I bought it used I believe that was what I was told.) Maybe this is more a testament of Vulfix quality control, and the variation of the knots they produce for the same brush. Regardless, I like them both. :thumbup:

I think I'd have to agree on the old Chubby 1 being better. Not a huge fan of the new shape of the Simpsons, but it isn't bad. I was expecting my Chubby 2 to be my densest brush yet, but surprisingly it wasn't. No slouch, but just can't beat my Rooneys. My Tulip 2 feels more dense than my Chubby 2, and I do love that brush. Among my most favorite handles! :woot:

Top Bottom