What's new

The Rooney Heritage "Stubby" Size 1 Super vs. Simpson Chubby CH1 Finest?

Ive sold off all my brushes after using the stubby heritage finest size 1 for a month or so. Its the best soap/face lathering combo. YMMV. This is a true beast of a brush and there is just nothing like it. I not a fan of the new simpsons line of 2 bands. Oh ive also owned the stubby 1 in super and it just didnt do it for me.

Simpson's brushes vary in quality, true. But keep in mind that most people here love theirs.
Also, my 2 band XL2 that had an uneven knot at first actually evened out after the first use, so that when wet or dry, the knot actually looked even. I asked for a replacement anyways, because I figured a custom order should be perfect from the start, but that's beyond my point.
Calling a Simpson's garbage without ever having USED one (trust me, even the weird looking knot felt great and even on the face), is like saying that you read the first word of a book and then decided it was poorly written. You went a little farther than the cover, but not by much

So by this logic, are 3/1s garbage because Heritage line is better? Heritage garbage because Plisson is better? I'm just confused about Aaron's Hierarchy of Badger. :001_huh::wink2:

Heritage and 3/1 same manufacturer, a good comparison would be if you were comparing a pre-Simpons vs Simfix match-up to the two.

Heritage and Plisson is another story in of itself since I wouldn't buy either, honestly.

Simpson's brushes vary in quality, true. But keep in mind that most people here love theirs.
Also, my 2 band XL2 that had an uneven knot at first actually evened out after the first use, so that when wet or dry, the knot actually looked even. I asked for a replacement anyways, because I figured a custom order should be perfect from the start, but that's beyond my point.
Calling a Simpson's garbage without ever having USED one (trust me, even the weird looking knot felt great and even on the face), is like saying that you read the first word of a book and then decided it was poorly written. You went a little farther than the cover, but not by much

Considering I molested 2 2-bands after handling PWerks brushes, sorry they're garbage and they didn't need to be used/bought to tell me otherwise.

Last edited:
Heritage and 3/1 same manufacturer, a good comparison would be if you were comparing a pre-Simpons vs Simfix match-up to the two.

Heritage and Plisson is another story in of itself since I wouldn't buy either, honestly.

Aaron, I've owned Heritage and Super Rooney's and they are VERY different. different hair and different density.

Its all just preference, there are no good bad or better, its one of those to each their own kind of things. give me rooneys finest or give me death :laugh:

DSB, I'm off point a bit as I've not tried a Finest. But I'll offer my experience with my recently acquired Rooney Stubby 2 Heritage.

The Heritage is one impressive brush. Compared to my Rooney 1/2 (not exactly a floppy slouch), the Stubby seems to be an order of magnitude denser. When I pat my hand down on the top of the knot, there is practically no give! It took a little getting used to the added density of the knot but after a few trials, I began to understand the special qualities of this brush. If I pushed too hard, the great knot will hold the lather as its own. But if I back up a bit and use a light touch on my face or in my bowl, nice lather comes easily by letting in some air!! But no matter how I use it, the tips are the main attraction. Have you ever used a new brush and face lathered over and over again with different soaps? I've done that and my face was a little raw from all the "scratching". But when I did the same with the Heritage, it left no irritation - the tips are that fantastic and they seem to stick out their tongues at the dense, stiff knot!! It's a wonderful experience to feel the great backbone of the knot and at the same time enjoy those soft tips on my face. No other knot in my small collection comes close in terms of that combination. My first experience with the 1/2 (and for that matter, my Chubby 2 Super) was very similar - learning to "master" the knot's density. The Stubby Heritage is its stronger brother!

Last edited:
Considering I molested 2 2-bands after handling PWerks brushes, sorry they're garbage and they didn't need to be used/bought to tell me otherwise.

While I value your opinion, I repectfully disagree that one can accurately judge a brush without having thoroughly used it. I think the objection people have is to the strong pejorative use of "garbage" without having shaved with the brush. It may be more accurate to say, e.g., "I looked at the brush in the store, I was able to pull out ten hairs, so I decided to go with another brand that didn't lose hairs." By the same token, it would be an unfair review to extol the virtues of, say, a shaving soap, after only giving the soap a test lather in the store. I think a description of what you liked/disliked about the product under the limited circumstances of your examination would be a fairer review of the item in question. So, can you expand on your "molestation" process, and why after you "molested" the two Simpsons brushes you walked away with the impression that they're "garbage?"

Generally speaking, I think that unless you have USED a brush to shave with for several shaves, it is not fair to the brush or the people reading the review to conclude the brush is either "garbage" or "the best brush ever." If you look at the Badger and Blade Review Guidelines, a reviewer should base a review on his experience with the product. To quote our venerable leaders: "EXPERIENCES involve you giving the product a fair shake and using it more than just a couple of times. It is paramount that you give the product ample opportunity to shine (or sink), and get to know the product’s strong points, quirks, and/or failings."

For example, A brush that feels great in the store may turn out to be a shedder after three weeks of use. On the other hand, a brush that looses a few hairs out of the box may stop loosing hairs after the fifth shave, and never loose a hair again. In another example, if one were to pick up a dry boar brush in the store, and rub it one one's face, then one would walk away with the impression that a boar brush is very, very prickly, feels like brillo, and has no place in the shaving den. If you look at the brush after it's wet and shaken out, you may come away thinking that the brush is of inferior manufacture because the hairs go every which way. In reality, once broken in after a few weeks of lathering, that boar brush is going to be one of the softest brushes around.

Now, while I concede that the opinions expressed in this thread are not in the review section, you are nonetheless reviewing a product when you call is "garbage" (or "the best brush ever"). I know this is just your opinion, and you are entitled to it. However, following the established review guidelines, I think it's fair to say that one must use a brush, i.e. LATHER and use it during a few shaves, to accurately judge it. If your experience with the brush is more limited, then your opinion is still valued -- it just can't be given the same weight as a review by someone with more prolonged experience with the brush.

Now, all that being said, that Rooney Stubby Finest Size 1 is sounding pretty good. I might just have to wait for one of our vendors to re-stock it.

Ive sold off all my brushes after using the stubby heritage finest size 1 for a month or so. Its the best soap/face lathering combo. YMMV. This is a true beast of a brush and there is just nothing like it. I not a fan of the new simpsons line of 2 bands. Oh ive also owned the stubby 1 in super and it just didnt do it for me.

Thanks for the direct comparison. The finest sounds like what I'm looking for. Of course, I'll still be looking until someone gets it in stock! It's possible the LE 2009 will be out before I see another Stubbby 1 Finest.

Ambrose, what specifically do you like more about the Finest 1 v. the Stubby 1? The characteristics of the Heritage knot are so impressive to me, it's hard to imagine how much finer the finest could be! Thanks in advance.

Ambrose, what specifically do you like more about the Finest 1 v. the Stubby 1? The characteristics of the Heritage knot are so impressive to me, it's hard to imagine how much finer the finest could be! Thanks in advance.

Its in the characteristics of the hair itself, rooneys finest hair is super soft at the tips and very stiff at the shafts. It doesnt seem to retain water at first but it just requires a bit more work but its worth it. The stubby super is great but nothing like it, the hair on that is super soft and very fine. The loft is super short but yet the hair itself is still very flexible compared to the finest hair.

Now, all that being said, that Rooney Stubby Finest Size 1 is sounding pretty good. I might just have to wait for one of our vendors to re-stock it.

Or maybe try 1/1 Finest, size is almost the same, CS may still have them.

Its in the characteristics of the hair itself, rooneys finest hair is super soft at the tips and very stiff at the shafts. It doesnt seem to retain water at first but it just requires a bit more work but its worth it. The stubby super is great but nothing like it, the hair on that is super soft and very fine. The loft is super short but yet the hair itself is still very flexible compared to the finest hair.

Sorry Ambrose, I'm confused, and I ask for future reference. So is the hair on the Finest very flexible compared to the Heritage Super? Or is it the opposite?

Sorry Ambrose, I'm confused, and I ask for future reference. So is the hair on the Finest very flexible compared to the Heritage Super? Or is it the opposite?

I think he ment opposite, Finest is stiff and Heritage Super flexible,
mine are that way.

I think he ment opposite, Finest is stiff and Heritage Super flexible,
mine are that way.

Thanks gister! If that's the case, I'd be very interested in trying a Finest just to compare and evaluate if it's worth the significant price difference. My Heritage is certainly not very flexible unless by comparison the Finest is a ramrod! :w00t: Still, how much more stiff could it be? The jump in stiffness from my 1/2 Super to the Heritage is dramatic. Where does it go from there?

The Finest has the most backbone (bristles bounce back) and soft tips. IMHO, there is nothing like it for soap.

For what it is worth, I was in touch with Vintage Blades earlier this week. Hopefully Erin (and Jim) will not mind me posting their response here, but this is what they had to share when I inquired on getting a Stubby 1 in Finest.

"The Stubbies in finest hair were a limited, special-run. Rooney is having an awfully hard time sourcing the finest grade of hair, which results in no new brushes in finest since February of 2008. There was some hair Sabini had put aside for “a rainy day” and somehow Jim convinced him (or bribed him) to make it into brushes. I couldn’t believe how fast they flew out the door. We put them on the site and a week later we had to take the listing off because we ran out. As far as I know, there is no finest hair supply left in the UK."

That said, Vintage Blades received a few Stubby 1s in super on Monday. :w00t: I am not sure if there are any left, but you might check.

As a final note, I own an original Simpson Chubby 1 and a couple weeks ago received a Chubby 1 two-band. They are very different knots and, in my opinion (since it is the only one I have), I prefer the original. The knot is bigger, and has more of a fan shape than the bulb shape of the Simfix. And the Stubby that Texbilly has so accurately described? It used to be mine, and it is indeed an incredible brush. (He is a much better wordsmith in describing its performance.) The fact that I sold the Stubby 2 in favor of the Chubbies says something, but to make your decision that much more difficult...I bought a Stubby 1 on Monday. :blushing: For the price - $129 versus $165 - I might have to recommend the Stubby 1. I do not think you would be disappointed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom