What's new

Chubby 1 vs duke 3 - First Simpson

I've had both and I like the Duke 3 handle better. Now, Ch2 and 3 are different stories. I also agree with the person above who advised consideration of Super grade. Best is good, and sometimes it is close to Super, but sometimes it isn't. I have found Super to be more consistent.
I’ve gotten 4 Simpson brushes in best. They have all been very consistent with very little variation in hair quality. One was a bit of a shedder but I think it’s more how that particular knot was glued than the hair quality

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Gentleman, one question about badger hair.

Is is ok to use it everyday without a rotation? Boars benefit from a little longer drying time, I wonder if that’s the case with badgers.

Any chance damaging the brush that way?

I had two in a row,each used with no rotation for decades. They were retired not because they were damaged but because I succumbed to the lure of a new brush.

I'm sorry if you have your mind set but if I may throw another option into the mixer: a classic 2 in best? It's sorta? like if a Duke and Chubby had an offspring brush.
I've looked into the classic as well but it's so close to the chubby price that I'd probably go for the chubby density.

Do you have both? Any reason why you'd prefer the classic over the chubby other than the slight price difference?

linty1

My wallet cries.
I mentioned the classic 2 as (and I'm sorry if I read wrong), that you were hesistant on the shorter handle? But honestly if you have decided on the chubby then just chubby away, I know if it were I, even -if- I had gotten the classic I would still eventually want the chubby as.. well a classic isn't a chubby lol, but thats me.

Yes that best grade variation is a little worrying.

Maybe @A.E. Simpson 1919 could give me some information on that?

Thank you for your input sir.
I've gotten 4 Simpson brushes in best. They have all been very consistent with very little variation in hair quality. One was a bit of a shedder but I think it’s more how that particular knot was glued than the hair quality

Alex. I wouldn't say that I've had a bad brush in Best, just some variation. I've had a few more than 4 and they were from different times. Some were as soft as the Supers I have had, which have all had the same feel. There were a couple that were a little firmer, sort of between a Super and a two band. Those firmer ones also had a touch of scritch to them, but nothing like a Zenith Manchurian I had for a few shaves. I don't think you will get a bad brush from Simpsons. Some people even like the Pure grade, but I have to admit I've never tried it. In addition to a CH2 in Super, and one in Synthetic, I currently have a Duke 3 in Manchurian and that is an exceptional brush.

Alex. I wouldn't say that I've had a bad brush in Best, just some variation. I've had a few more than 4 and they were from different times. Some were as soft as the Supers I have had, which have all had the same feel. There were a couple that were a little firmer, sort of between a Super and a two band. Those firmer ones also had a touch of scritch to them, but nothing like a Zenith Manchurian I had for a few shaves. I don't think you will get a bad brush from Simpsons. Some people even like the Pure grade, but I have to admit I've never tried it. In addition to a CH2 in Super, and one in Synthetic, I currently have a Duke 3 in Manchurian and that is an exceptional brush.
That’s nice to know. When you read old threads about those things (variations) it’s difficult to know where the line is. Scritch and hurtful like a new stiff omega boar? More, less? How?

Sometimes it’s confusing, so thank you for sharing your experience with those batch variations.

I wouldn't say that I've had a bad brush in Best, just some variation
I think I’ve been lucky with my Simpson brushes I’ve had in best. If you look at a bell curve all of mine have fallen in the middle of it. Not prickly and uncomfortable like pure but not the cloud like softness of silver tips or Manchurian

I just used the Chubby 1 Best this morning. Its greatness is such that it truly features everything I could ever desire in a badger brush. Outstanding.
And I (inspired by the other thread) used an all Proraso set up , from mug to brush, from cream to AS. I wonder sometimes why I bother with more expensive options.

Simply wonderful. I'm sure my beloved Proraso brush wouldn't mind an occasional cheating with a chubby 1. :c1:

And I (inspired by the other thread) used an all Proraso set up , from mug to brush, from cream to AS. I wonder sometimes why I bother with more expensive options.

Simply wonderful. I'm sure my beloved Proraso brush wouldn't mind an occasional cheating with a chubby 1. :c1:

CONGRATULATIONS! And ENJOY your most excellent new brush! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

IMG_9402.jpeg

As promised

Late to the party here, but I would suggest the Chubby I. Great brush. I also have a Chubby II, and it is at the upper end of the size I like. Bought a Chubby III, was just gigantic, sent it back.
I definitely agree with you about the Chubby 2 being at the upper limit for size. Personally I like brushes in the middle of the spectrum (24-26mm range). I never felt like I needed something as big as a Chubby 3 or similar size

Please consider the Classic series as well. My Classic 1 is my favorite Simpsons Best badger by far. It’s so small but so big at the same time. The Classic knot is more like a bulb than all my other Simpsons and I think that’s what really sets it apart. The wide knot, full hair, and shorter loft make it a pure luxury item. And despite its small size it works equally well as a face or bowl-latherer.

IMG_0601.jpeg

The knot looks like the typical Best grade. The black hair are pure grade and you may feel like poke your skin, but they'll break off over time and it'll be a nice brush. Use it in good health.

Top Bottom