What's new

Simpson MC

Greetings and salutations.

Background,

My first brush was a very cheap and floppy badger. Current is an Omega boar.

I’m thinking of adding a Simpson brush to my collection because I’d like something British in my shave! I’ve taking a liking to the Simpson Milk Churn but could be talked into another.

The main thing for me is backbone. I realize boar and badger are different but I still want that slightly scrubby exfoliating effect and good backbone you typically get with a boar. I’m a face latherer because I think it’s better for my skin and I honestly enjoy it more. And the few times I’ve tried lathering in a bowl I can’t get it right.

Thanks guys!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Greetings and salutations.

Background,

My first brush was a very cheap and floppy badger. Current is an Omega boar.

I’m thinking of adding a Simpson brush to my collection because I’d like something British in my shave! I’ve taking a liking to the Simpson Milk Churn but could be talked into another.

The main thing for me is backbone. I realize boar and badger are different but I still want that slightly scrubby exfoliating effect and good backbone you typically get with a boar. I’m a face latherer because I think it’s better for my skin and I honestly enjoy it more. And the few times I’ve tried lathering in a bowl I can’t get it right.

Thanks guys!

In the smaller knot sizes from Simpson I would suggest Special or Case.

Get the handle style you like but the knot needs to be best badger or super.

I get good scrub with my best badger Case, Special and Berkeley, however there's zero scrub or backbone in my best badger wee scot, or two Vulfix super badger brushes (same factory).

In the smaller knot sizes from Simpson I would suggest Special or Case.

I get good scrub with my best badger Case, Special and Berkeley, however there's zero scrub or backbone in my best badger wee scot, or two Vulfix super badger brushes (same factory).
I’m assuming what you listed are brush models? And is the milk churn a large enough knot to have a good back bone?

What’s the difference in backbone and face feel between pure badger and best badger as far as Simpson goes?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I’m assuming what you listed are brush models?

Yes, I have the Simpson Special S1 in pure and best, and the Simpson Case C1 in pure and best. Both are scrubby brushes. Or at least, mine are.

And is the milk churn a large enough knot to have a good back bone?

My personal opinion, is that it's more about the ratio from diameter to loft. The two I mentioned are close to 2:1. I mentioned those because I thought the Milk Churn has a higher loft, but it appears to be a fairly similar ratio at 20mm x 46mm. So the ratio would suggest it could be a good fit for you.

What’s the difference in backbone and face feel between pure badger and best badger as far as Simpson goes?

Be aware that all badger brushes vary from knot to knot. Sometimes significantly. So my "brush x" might be very different to your "brush x", but generally speaking...

Pure can feel scratchier. Sharper tips. It can and often does (in my experience) diminish over time, but some will typically remain.

Best is generally a bit thinner diameter hair. That can make the knot feel denser. Some knots will have less scritch, but some might have lower backbone too. As a general rule, most will have decent backbone, but some might soften up significantly after the first few uses. The lower loft ratios increase your chances of a scrubby brush.

The pure, having thicker hair and not feeling as dense, can have better flow. My best brushes can hog the lather a little more. The density and flow aspects are very noticable in difference between my Berkeley 46 in pure, and my Berkeley 46 in best. Moreso than my Case and Special brushes. My Berkeley is very scrubby in best. Surprisingly scrubby, but I think I was lucky and got a particularly sturdy batch of hair in that knot. The pure is less dense with better flow on mine.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Here's a photo showing the Cases and Specials

IMG_20231023_141413.jpg

Case (middle row on left) are low loft and scrubby in pure and best. However, the one on the furthest right on the same row, is an even lower loft, but super badger hair and with zero backbone.

The Specials of the bottom towards the right are also very scrubby. Top row on the left, are the two Berkeley's I mentioned before. Note the higher lofts. The pure one, and the two pure badger Beaufort brushes to the right of them, have less backbone than the pure hair Case and Special. The best is very dense, surprisingly scrubby, but the lather doesn't flow as well.

I don't have a Milk Churn, as I prefer a different handle shape (as you can probably tell from the pic), so i nlhave no first hand experience of that knot. Another stubby knot in the same diameter as the Churn, is the Duke D1 which is quite popular with face latherers.

Simpsons are great brushes IME!! Just be aware that there is considerable variation even with the same model (part of Simpsons appeal). That said, I enjoy any hair option other than Simpsons pure.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I feel lucky, as my first and only Simpson Badger is a Berkeley in best and it’s a wonderful brush. Wait, I did get a Wee Scott, but am considering making it a permanent Christmas tree ornament.

Have look at the major m1 in super. A small brush but seems much larger in use. Unusual design, high quality handle superb to hold.
I can't praise the brush enough. Plus, you'd have a brush few seem to own!,,,oh yes, the knot is dense, simpsons have a really nice item .

I would choose the Duke 3 over the milk churn myself, if more backbone is what you’re looking for. I would also go with Manchurian if you want backbone and softness. I see Simpson has a milk churn in Manchurian right now if that is still your interest.

Yes, I have the Simpson Special S1 in pure and best, and the Simpson Case C1 in pure and best. Both are scrubby brushes. Or at least, mine are.

My personal opinion, is that it's more about the ratio from diameter to loft. The two I mentioned are close to 2:1. I mentioned those because I thought the Milk Churn has a higher loft, but it appears to be a fairly similar ratio at 20mm x 46mm. So the ratio would suggest it could be a good fit for you.

Be aware that all badger brushes vary from knot to knot. Sometimes significantly. So my "brush x" might be very different to your "brush x", but generally speaking...

Pure can feel scratchier. Sharper tips. It can and often does (in my experience) diminish over time, but some will typically remain.

Best is generally a bit thinner diameter hair. That can make the knot feel denser. Some knots will have less scritch, but some might have lower backbone too. As a general rule, most will have decent backbone, but some might soften up significantly after the first few uses. The lower loft ratios increase your chances of a scrubby brush.

The pure, having thicker hair and not feeling as dense, can have better flow. My best brushes can hog the lather a little more. The density and flow aspects are very noticable in difference between my Berkeley 46 in pure, and my Berkeley 46 in best. Moreso than my Case and Special brushes. My Berkeley is very scrubby in best. Surprisingly scrubby, but I think I was lucky and got a particularly sturdy batch of hair in that knot. The pure is less dense with better flow on mine.
All very interesting thank you. So with a 2:1 ratio you’re basically getting a shorter loft which in theory should give better backbone yes?

Wow guys, thank you very much for information! There’s a lot of it and I’m definitely going to have to process it all, cruise around Simpson a website and see if I have more questions. Thank you

Top Bottom