What's new

Chubby 1 vs duke 3 - First Simpson

Good morning gentleman,

Based on looks, specs and price up to 150 euros, I've narrowed it down to those 2 as my first choice. (best badger)

I'm looking for luxurious face lathering, high density pillow feel, and I love a good bloom. Those two knots are practically the same according to Simpson, but despite that, some chubby 1 pictures sometimes seem too small? Am I wrong here? It's hard to judge by pics only.

I'm not worried about the handle differences, but only the knot itself.

I'm a boar man, 23mm omegas and larger omega Proraso, love them all. I just don't want to be lathering for my second pass and having to squeeze it for the last drops of juice.

People say badger feels larger than the knot size when comparing to boar, is it true? For you chubby 1 owners, is it a nice size for face lathering or does it feel like a toy?

Appreciate any input you fine gentleman may have.

Alex

I face-lather and prefer smaller to medium sized brushes. I have enjoyed a number of Simpsons over the years, including a Chubby 1 and Duke 2 in best badger that remain favorites in my rotation. I find both comfortable and effective. In the end, you probably need to buy both to answer your question! :popc::popc:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Mine are almost identical in knot size, I could not feel any difference in the knots between the Chubby and Duke, although obviously the handles are different. For me these are perfect with plenty of lather for three passes. I would expect a Super to bloom larger than a best, and much larger than a Manchurian. If you like pillow and bloom then I suggest three band Super grade - there is a Duke 3 in Super grade on sale on the Simpson web site right now. Go on - you know you want to 👍

1688475743756.png

I face-lather and prefer smaller to medium sized brushes. I have enjoyed a number of Simpsons over the years, including a Chubby 1 and Duke 2 in best badger that remain favorites in my rotation. I find both comfortable and effective. In the end, you probably need to buy both to answer your question! :popc::popc:

Thank you sir! Oh good old B&B style... buy both! :c1:

Mine are almost identical in knot size, I could not feel any difference in the knots between the Chubby and Duke, although obviously the handles are different. For me these are perfect with plenty of lather for three passes. I would expect a Super to bloom larger than a best, and much larger than a Manchurian. If you like pillow and bloom then I suggest three band Super grade - there is a Duke 3 in Super grade on sale on the Simpson web site right now. Go on - you know you want to 👍

View attachment 1681048

I just saw that duke 3 on the website but the product page won't open. When I click it goes back to the brushes list. I tried to open in a new window and doesn't work. That's weird...

Thank you sir!

Most people here will declare that the Duke 3 is a more versatile brush. And they are 100% right. But only a Chubby is a Chubby.

The Chubby 1 is my suggestion, Sir.
I saw a few posts from you praising the chubby 1. I've got to say that was on of the reasons that got me looking into it.

I know the chubby 2 is a luxurious badger overdose on the face, but would you say the chubby 1 provides the same feel considering the different proportions of course?

In other words, does it feel like a soft wall of badger even though it is considerably smaller?

Thank you for your input sir.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I saw a few posts from you praising the chubby 1. I've got to say that was on of the reasons that got me looking into it.

I know the chubby 2 is a luxurious badger overdose on the face, but would you say the chubby 1 provides the same feel considering the different proportions of course?

In other words, does it feel like a soft wall of badger even though it is considerably smaller?

Thank you for your input sir.
For a silky soft wall of badger you should get the Super grade of hair, Sir.

The Chubby 2 is and feels much bigger than the Chubby 1. For that reason the Chubby 1 is the best choice to start with, IMHO. If you like it, size 2 will be a natural follow-up afterwards.

For a silky soft wall of badger you should get the Super grade of hair, Sir.

The Chubby 2 is and feels much bigger than the Chubby 1. For that reason the Chubby 1 is the best choice to start with, IMHO. If you like it, size 2 will be a natural follow up afterwards.
Oh that super must be nice indeed. But it goes above that 150 limit unfortunately.

From a boar perspective (omegas), should I expect more scritch or roughness with the best grade?

I'd imagine it's not the case but I have to ask either way.

Thank you again sir.

Thank you sir! Oh good old B&B style... buy both! :c1:

I just saw that duke 3 on the website but the product page won't open. When I click it goes back to the brushes list. I tried to open in a new window and doesn't work. That's weird...

Thank you sir!
I had the same problem until I went to my computer then all works fine. Guess it doesn't like phones or iPads.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Oh that super must be nice indeed. But it goes above that 150 limit unfortunately.

From a boar perspective (omegas), should I expect more scritch or roughness with the best grade?

I'd imagine it's not the case but I have to ask either way.

Thank you again sir.
Boars and badgers are completely different in water retention properties and face feel.

Simpson's Best is not silky soft as the Super, but still soft and slightly scrubby, I wouldn't say scratchy. I love Simpson's Best.

For a silky soft brush with very nice tips you may also consider a synthetic knot. Why not add an inexpensive Trafalgar to your order?

Boars and badgers are completely different in water retention properties and face feel.

Simpson's Best is not silky soft as the Super, but still soft and slightly scrubby, I wouldn't say scratchy. I love Simpson's Best.

For a silky soft brush with very nice tips you may also consider a synthetic knot. Why not add an inexpensive Trafalgar to your order?
I've got to say, I just hate synthetics. Yes they are easy to make lather but I don't like how they feel on the face despite being soft. And lather everywhere, no water retention at all.

Scrubby fits the bill, I like a good scrub!

Thank you again sir.

Both are great indeed.

I’m leaning towards the chubby but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

There’s something about the way it looks that is quite unique…
If you think you’ll be happier with the Chubby then that’s the one you should get. You can always scratch the Duke 3 itch at a later date if you still have it

Top Bottom