What's new

The Real Cost Commercials / Do We Have To?

Go ahead, eat the bowl-clingers. If you dare. When your stomach explodes and the doctors in the ER ask you what happened, tell them you ate the bowl-clingers.

That sounds risky, I once swallowed a piece of chewing gum do you think I will need some help? :confused:

Yesterday, after a long day of work and baseball practices.... and not exactly feeling so great (flu-like symptoms).... I sit down at 9 pm with a bowl of cereal which was the first chance I had to eat anything since lunch. My stomach was off and I didn't really feel like eating anything, but I knew I needed to eat something or I wouldn't sleep worth a darn. So, I'm sitting there watching TV and this commercial by therealcost.gov comes on. It's digusting. A man trying to buy a pack of cigarettes grabs a pair of forceps and prys a tooth from his mouth so that the guy at the convenience store will sell him the pack. I'm sitting there with an upset stomach already, trying to eat, and then this thing comes on.

The most stomach turning aspect to this commercial is that there is a series of them, put out by the USFDA. Yours and my taxpayer dollars at work here. Ironically, one of these commercials depicts cigarettes as a "bully" that can make you do whatever it wants. What about a government that can use your money to tell you what to do..... and do it in a tasteless manner on top of everything else?

The Anti-tobacco campaign of the U.S. government is a pet peeve of mine. I'm not a regular smoker or tobacco user, but I've been known to enjoy one from time to time. Regardless of how much of the product I use, where does our government get off telling us what we can do with regard to our consumption of this product? The government is hypocritical in the sense that it acts like it wants to deter the use of products like tobacco or alcohol.... or the practice of gambling.... or whatever other vices you can think of..... yet, they tax it to the hilt and even have the state lotteries which is basically "organized gambling".

I realize the negative aspects of these products and that overdoing them can cause serious problems to people's lives..... but so can overdoing the taxation of a group of people. I guess I just resent that my money is going toward something like this.... and that it's done in such a tasteless manner. Quite bullying me around Uncle Sam.

Ben

I think the only concern about tobacco use is by minors, such as when Camel started advertising with a cartoon figure but I think much of the anti-smoking efforts contribute to the lure of tobacco. My dad smoked for most of my childhood and I don't expect to suffer any residual effects from that. Taxing a product that has fallen out of favor with the public at large and things like hotel and restaurant taxes are easy, somewhat hidden ways to generate revenue.

My grandfather smoked cigars all his life. He died of cancer. When he was just shy of 90.

I don't smoke because I can't afford his brand.

Grandmother and grandfather were both chain smokers.
He died of lung cancer at 73 in 1967.
She swore off smokes when he died, but when I moved into her home in the '80s, it was obvious that she had been smoking between the smell and yellowed paint.
She died at 104, but in all honesty, her last 10-15 years was not pleasant. She had been carrying an O2 bottle from about 75, and was pretty much bedridden in a nursing home for the last 10.
No cancer, but the emphysema was nasty. She described it being like an asthma attack 24/7.

Dad is 91. Never drank or smoked (who knows what he was exposed to in the Navy during WWII in the Marshall Islands). He's survived two bouts with prostate cancer and colon polyps, and 2 years ago got a pacemaker.
Doc just checked his pacemaker and batteries and said he was good for another 9 years
He also has two brand new knees that have a 30 year warranty. He told the doc that he was going to get his money's worth out of his new knees so he had better plan to replace those batteries a couple more times.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I get where you are coming from, but I tend to disagree. In 2014, if a person doesn't realize tobacco isn't a healthy option they've got bigger problems on their hands than being under educated and lower income. Nobody in the civilized world thinks tobacco is healthy anymore. At this point, 50% of the packaging on tobacco is taken up by warnings.

Sometimes, I'm tempted in my "if I ruled the world" moments, to contemplate a "Darwin Awards" approach to smoking. The sum total of government "advertising" on tobacco would be the political leaders telling the populace "you know it'll kill you. Do what you want. Just don't come crying to me or our hospitals when you get lung cancer."

It's far too "cold" to ever fly in real life, but come on ... with what we know now about smoking, there's really no reason for anyone to take up the hobby.

How does radioactivity affect edibility?

I dunno.

Too bad there are no graphic commercials to warn us of the dangers thereof.

My grandfather smoked cigars all his life. He died of cancer. When he was just shy of 90.

I don't smoke because I can't afford his brand.

Ah, the old "George Burns" argument.

"That guy who created the jogging craze died of a heart attack when he was 53 and George Burns lived to be 100". I don't buy it. Some people are genetically blessed with a long lifespan, and others are cursed with a short one. It's how you take care of yourself that extends or shortens however much time you have.

If we take instead of "smoking", the practice of "landing on Omaha Beach", it's easy to say that "my grandfather landed on Omaha beach and he lived to be 94" ... but that doesn't reduce the fact that "landing on Omaha beach" was a very unhealthy activity.

Actually, my argument is just that if you live long enough your habits will eventually catch up with you. I wouldn't want to go the way he did. He was also one of the Greatest Generation and lived life on the edge. He smoked Cubans which he got through his Cold War contacts.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Actually, my argument is just that if you live long enough your habits will eventually catch up with you. I wouldn't want to go the way he did.

Fair dues.

I think we're far closer in opinion than I first thought.

Top Bottom