What's new

The Quaznoid Challenge

I'm new to safety razor shaving, but not new to hobbies which have community forums related to them. So, as I got into this, as usual I dove in head first and already have a handful of razors. In an attempt to circumvent the typical long process of buying, selling, rebuying, selling etc, I've been wanting to find something that works for me quickly and try to keep it simple. I've found a few posts by member Quaznoid and decided to go all in and take what I'm calling the Quaznoid challenge. These posts have jumped out to me, but really any posts where I see that someone sticks to one simple shaving setup are the ones that speak to me.
Quaznoid said:
If you want good results and maximum economy:

1. Buy one razor, learn to use it and stick with it. You only need one. A vintage Gillette Tech or SuperSpeed should be available at a flea market, antique shop or on the web for less than $20. A Lord L5 is available on the web for $7. All fantastic razors.

2. There are a lot of brushes out there for under $10.

3. I lather with ordinary bath soap scraps from around the house. It’s free and makes great lather.

4. If you don’t want to lather, there’s no shame in using canned foam. Gillette Foamy or Barbasol are excellent for $1 to $2 per can.

5. You can experiment with many blades or you can buy some Personna Lab Blues which work on the vast majority of faces.

The key to making this work and remaining economical is to keep it simple and stay off Badger & Blade. The posters here will try and convince you that you need more stuff and that that perfect shave is just another purchase away, or that you need to adopt some screwball technique to achieve Nirvana. There is no perfect shave and Nirvana is merely a state of mind. I advise you to acquire a simple kit, learn to use it, and never come back to B&B.

Quaznoid said:
Learn to use the Tech, then get rid of everything else.

So, I'm going to keep my pre-war Tech and I'm going to pass along everything else. Tech, brush, Astra SP blades, and I'll finish this unscented shaving cream I've got. Once the cream is gone, I'll be using leftover bars of soap to lather with. We shall see how long this will last, but for me it will be more beneficial and arguably more fun that just buying more and more stuff. By the way I don't know Quaznoid at all and I'm hoping he doesn't mind me using his handle for this challenge. All in the name of good fun and simplicity. 🙂
Below is a photo of my simple kit moving forward as well as the instant small collection I’ve already accumulated that I’ll be sending along.

Attachments

• IMG_4270.jpeg
    IMG_4270.jpeg
    915.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4275.jpeg
    IMG_4275.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
I'd agree that one simple set-up can work very well for a wide range of people, and possibly turn out to be perfect for a particular individual; just maybe not for all. As a for instance I do appreciate pre-war Techs and could easily use one all the time if I had to, it's just that I like other razors more and believe I get better results with them. I could persevere with just the Tech, but I've already used one a lot already and choose not to do so. Similarly, I've used bath soap to make lather on occasion but didn't find it anywhere as pleasant feeling or effective as most purpose made soap or cream. That's just my experience and others will differ in what they believe.

Just be mindful - lathering with hand soaps doesn't work for everyone. It depends on a) the soap, and b) your skin.

I took the Quaznoid Challenge a few months ago and whilst I now know that it works in a pinch, the results weren't something I would repeat by choice. Decent shaving creams can be had for barely more than the cost of a bar soap, so it's not even like frugality is a particularly good argument.

Personally, I would also keep the Piccolo for those instances when you have more than a couple of days growth to shave.

Otherwise, knock yourself out. We would all be much richer if we followed your example.

Just be mindful - lathering with hand soaps doesn't work for everyone. It depends on a) the soap, and b) your skin.

I took the Quaznoid Challenge a few months ago and whilst I now know that it works in a pinch, the results weren't something I would repeat by choice. Decent shaving creams can be had for barely more than the cost of a bar soap, so it's not even like frugality is a particularly good argument.

Personally, I would also keep the Piccolo for those instances when you have more than a couple of days growth to shave.

Otherwise, knock yourself out. We would all be much richer if we followed your example.
Yea, this will be an experiment in simplicity to see if I can enjoy without going off the rails with purchases. I have a cream that I will continue using, and if the hand soap is a no go, I won't have a problem getting some more cream. Believe me, I like the other razors and if I tried even more I'm sure I would like them as well. Next thing I know, I'd turn around and have a small army wondering how I got there when I only need one! This is just how my brain works. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts on forums and learning about history, techniques, tools, etc, but when it comes down to it I'm always happier when I keep things simple.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Bar soaps with a little extra moisturizer in them seem to work better for this. When I'm feeling particularly Scottish I will pick up a two-bar pack of Yardley's Oatmeal and Almond soap. I cut a bar in half, and it fits in my mug just fine. That's four pucks of good shaving soap for about that many dollars. Build a lot of lather in the cup, don't add as much water in the bowl.

Heh. Just realized that "...feeling particularly Scottish" and "...Oatmeal..." could be thematically related.

O.H.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I shaved simply, consistently, and cheaply for 20 years. The only time that wasn't with double edged razors, was when there was a blade drought on. Even now, I still stick to one razor, and get a long life from my blades.

I do like having a variety of soaps now though. I tend to keep tbree in the bathroom, as that's as mich choice as I want to face on any given day. I have been on a real spend fest with brushes though this year. Partially exploration, partially intentional collecting, and partially stocking up for moving away from online shopping. None were expensive though. Only one cost more than £40.

Enjoy the challenge, but find your own happiness. What someone needs in order to get great shaves, isn't much. What someone needs to get the most enjoyment from those great shaves, varies somewhat more in scale and cost, and is very much dependent on the individual.

While I remain at the shallow end of the pool, I am not quite as static as I used to be, although I do still go through phases of sticking with something simple for a long time too

I shaved simply, consistently, and cheaply for 20 years. The only time that wasn't with double edged razors, was when there was a blade drought on. Even now, I still stick to one razor, and get a long life from my blades.

I do like having a variety of soaps now though. I tend to keep tbree in the bathroom, as that's as mich choice as I want to face on any given day. I have been on a real spend fest with brushes though this year. Partially exploration, partially intentional collecting, and partially stocking up for moving away from online shopping. None were expensive though. Only one cost more than £40.

Enjoy the challenge, but find your own happiness. What someone needs in order to get great shaves, isn't much. What someone needs to get the most enjoyment from those great shaves, varies somewhat more in scale and cost, and is very much dependent on the individual.

While I remain at the shallow end of the pool, I am not quite as static as I used to be, although I do still go through phases of sticking with something simple for a long time too
What's you're go to razor these days? Yes, if I stop enjoying the process for whatever reason I will definitely reevaluate what I'm doing. Right now keeping it simple feels like the right thing to do.

I'm all for using one setup. I usually stick with one setup for a year or longer at a time. I don't rotate blades and use one soap/cream from start to finish.(3017 participant for years).

What I wouldn't try and not sure why anyone would want to is, use bar soap to shave with. The only reason I can think of is for a forum challenge. Even then, I wouldn't participate. No one is that hard up for money and if you are, it's by choice.

Last year I used one puck of PdP for the entire year. This year it's one puck of Tabac. Next year it will be MWF. Cost for each was about $15 Canadian, probably less than bar soap in the end.

Once you do find a setup that works, everything clicks, without even thinking about it. You won't be tempted to purchase soaps and razors based on unboxing reviews or one use reviews.

You can still visit and enjoy B&B after you find your go-to setup. I found mine years ago. I tweak it periodically but without purchasing more stuff, I just rotate in some previously purchased local find vintage $15 razors or brushes I picked up years ago.

I'm all for using one setup. I usually stick with one setup for a year or longer at a time. I don't rotate blades and use one soap/cream from start to finish.(3017 participant for years).

What I wouldn't try and not sure why anyone would want to is, use bar soap to shave with. The only reason I can think of is for a forum challenge. Even then, I wouldn't participate. No one is that hard up for money and if you are, it's by choice.

Last year I used one puck of PdP for the entire year. This year it's one puck of Tabac. Next year it will be MWF. Cost for each was about $15 Canadian, probably less than bar soap in the end.

Once you do find a setup that works, everything clicks, without even thinking about it. You won't be tempted to purchase soaps and razors based on unboxing reviews or one use reviews.

You can still visit and enjoy B&B after you find your go-to setup. I found mine years ago. I tweak it periodically but without purchasing more stuff, I just rotate in some previously purchased local find vintage $15 razors or brushes I picked up years ago.
The soap idea I thought was interesting since I seem to be the only person in the house who likes to use the bars of soap until they literally disappear. Everyone else only let's them get so small and then all of the sudden there's a fresh bar sitting right next to it. Also I was know to shave my neck in the shower with whatever bar soap was in there so I figured I'd give it a go. I'm enjoying this cream I got off of Amazon and the brush is ok albeit a big large I think. Only brush I've ever used. Tried Proraso green and the smell was so freaking strong that I couldn't do it. That's why I went for the unscented.

Attachments

• IMG_4276.jpeg
    IMG_4276.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
You can shave economically and avoid falling into rabbit holes without wearing a hair shirt.

One 150g hard puck of shaving soap can last nearly a year. A Fatip Piccolo razor costs around $20. Lord Silver Star blades are $8/100. A very nice shaving brush is under $15. Dickinson's witch hazel runs around $4 for a 16 oz. bottle. Hey, Big Spender!

Just avoid the expensive stuff, artisan stuff that gets used up quick, etc. Pretty simple.

You can shave economically and avoid falling into rabbit holes without wearing a hair shirt.

One 150g hard puck of shaving soap can last nearly a year. A Fatip Piccolo razor costs around $20. Lord Silver Star blades are $8/100. A very nice shaving brush is under $15. Dickinson's witch hazel runs around $4 for a 16 oz. bottle. Hey, Big Spender!

Just avoid the expensive stuff, artisan stuff that gets used up quick, etc. Pretty simple.
“Oh to know then what we know now”

This is my setup until the shaving cream is gone and then I’ll move in to trying the bar soap. Still need to collect more scraps anyway. I’m not sure when I’m able to make for For Sale thread, but once I can I’ll sell off these other razors as a small lot. Might just put them on EBay. Thanks for responses. After reading other threads it sounds like a lot of others mainly stick to one setup but still have other razors, brushes, etc around. Gonna do my best to keep it minimal and harness my inner Ryokan. One robe, one bowl.

Attachments

• IMG_4277.jpeg
    IMG_4277.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37

Eben Stone

Staff member
I have always appreciated the advice offered by @Quaznoid. He seems like a no nonsense kinda guy.

If you are a newbie and your goal is achieving some great shaves, what he's suggesting is like being offered a free helicopter ride to the top of the mountain. You can avoid all the experimentation and trial and error if that's not your thing.

Enjoy the ride.

I have always appreciated the advice offered by @Quaznoid. He seems like a no nonsense kinda guy.

If you are a newbie and your goal is achieving some great shaves, what he's suggesting is like being offered a free helicopter ride to the top of the mountain. You can avoid all the experimentation and trial and error if that's not your thing.

Enjoy the ride.
Great post. You know, I’ve been fine climbing the mountain on my own in the past, but after doing it enough times, I’ve found that taking advice from others and following your instincts can make the trip way easier. I found myself buying too much too quick and realized my mistake. Also cool how a lot of folks perfect razor is an 80 yr old model that is readily available for a very cheap price. 😃

Done that before with the Fatip Piccolo, Astra SP, Proraso shaving cream and AS. Once you get the hang of it you can get a BBS with any setup (almost). Getting a full BBS is one thing but trying out new products is the best part of this hobby.

You can save money if you want but meh it's impossible if you keep coming back to this forum and browse some topics. Oh and just give up dude, I was one of those minimalist shavers too. If you can't beat them... JOIN THEM!

Top Bottom