What's new

The Quaznoid Challenge

Well, after spending quality time with the pre war tech I’ve decided that The Quaznoid Challenge may be more realistic down the road. Fore at this point, I’m still enjoying using and learning the Piccolo as well as the old type. While I’m not ready to be a one razor man, I won’t be adding any other hardware and will continue to pare down the handful that I have. Finding “the one” is still the goal, but at this point I feel like the Piccolo is also making a strong case for the top spot as well. We shall see what the future holds.
Fatip Piccolo is the only razor I use and the only razor I plan on using for the rest of my life. I know it has its fair share of haters, but to me there's no better deal out there. I love the fact that we can get an all brass razor for €14 that shaves extremely well and that will most likely outlast all of us. I'm very drawn to inexpensive things that last

I just got 14 of these delivered to my house for $12. I have successfully used this in the past to shave with. My wife really likes how it smells ( specifically the Mandarin Citrus/Patchouli/Rosemary version )

I am going to grate one up in an empty shave soap bin and keep it in my rotation. I keep a bar ( regular scent ) in my travel kit since it is a multitasker.

View attachment 1768058
I just bought one of these, but the blue one.

How would you compare the scents? Curious about that extra fresh now.

So I'm going to go in the other direction for a bit. When I began shaving many years ago, it was with a single DE razor, soap and a brush. Did that for quite a while because shaving was a chore to be done and off you went. Then it was on to carts, canned goop and some sort of aftershave. Still a chore, but now less time required. Never chased BBS shaves because it wasn't important. What I was doing was good enough.
Then a series of events occurred whereupon I dug out my old safety razor, soap and brush. I began researching wet shaving and B&B popped up during my searching. Well...I did not realize there was a community made up of people who used the traditional means of shaving etc. Kind of a revelation.
There were discussions about razors, blades, soaps, creams, straights, balms and advice on not only technical items but purely personal likes etc as well.
This was great. I learned quite a bit and began experimenting and collecting. I loved the history and the razors that made up this history. I displayed them and used them as well...or at least as much as I could, I had a fairly large collection. There were razors from all over the world and going back to the first DEs produced. Very cool to me. I also began making my own brushes and got pretty good at it. I even started to make razor handles as well. I was having a lot of fun.
At some point I simply began to lose interest in the collecting of razors and so began to sell and trade off my collection. I had learned what I was looking for in shavers as to materials, comfort, efficiency etc. These traits I also picked by reading reviews and doing research as well.
I got down to 6 razors and several brushes, mugs/bowls, soaps etc. I then noticed razors which caught my eye through design and looks which led to more reviews and research. Same with brushes and soaps.
You can see where this is going right?
I am now at 14 razors, ALL of which give me great shaves and which I know how to use. You don't have to spend weeks or months learning a specific razor, that happens relatively quickly. Straights, I imagine take more time and the care/prep is waaay more involved as well.
I also have more than one brush because I prefer they dry out between uses which means I have a rotation between boar and synths. I gave up on badger because of personal reasons but that's just me.
Soaps are another area I have expanded in but not to a detrimental point, I do enjoy different scents and I can say they all perform very well, the differences arise when using boar or synth and whether I'm bowl or mug lathering with hard or soft soaps.

Ok, so I've got that all set up now. My den is clicking along just fine. My razors are on display because there's NOTHING wrong with having them on display. That's personal...period.
This is not a chore and hasn't been for a good long time. I look forward to shaving every second day because my shaves are efficient enough I don't have to shave more than that. I'm also retired which helps.

Now this is the big thing for me...every time I go to shave I'm able to CUSTOMIZE it based on how I feel and what I want to do.
I choose which razor (the blades I'm getting much longer usage out of now but I still choose which ones work best for me), which soap, which bowl/mug, which brush and how I want to finish as far as scent/balm etc.
I look forward to shaving because it's NOT THE SAME, day in and day out which would devolve into a chore again.

So, if you want to have one razor...fine. One brush...ok. One blade brand...great. One soap...wonderful. But not scraps of hand soap or dish washing liquid or what ever else could be scrounged around the house. Treat yourself a wee bit better than that.

You want to be as minimalist as possible? That's perfectly ok. You want to collect or have multiple razors or soaps etc? That's ok as well. It's all personal and criticizing one way or the other is a waste of time...opinions are just that. I have also found that folks on B&B are more than willing to share experiences and offer advice based on what questions are asked. IT'S WHAT WE DO.
You don't like it? Don't ask. I have purchased things that were reviewed here and so far...they have all been pretty accurate as to descriptions and performance. Any "enabling" has been in jest or teasing because who doesn't like a joke or having a bit of fun?

To end with and thanx for following, if you have, my ramble which will stop with this very simple premise.
It's ALL good... no matter which way or how you view shaving. That's up to you.
Don't project your preferences onto anyone else. Your opinion is just that...an opinion.
Cheers and ENJOY the shave!

reface_1603146531893_545.GIF

Fatip Piccolo is the only razor I use and the only razor I plan on using for the rest of my life. I know it has its fair share of haters, but to me there's no better deal out there. I love the fact that we can get an all brass razor for €14 that shaves extremely well and that will most likely outlast all of us. I'm very drawn to inexpensive things that minimalist list.
I guess you could say I got Quaznoided by accident.
I use a FOCS exclusively for face and head. It was $30.00.
Head once a week and face twice a week. FOCS doesn’t clog, and at least a DFS every time.
It must be very forgiving because I can’t see, and am in a hurry.
Angles? Left handed, backwards, in a mirror?
I don’t need no stinking angles! Never cut myself.
I use Personna Lab Blues because they are made i USA and they work. $15.00 for a hundred.
Stainless dog bowl and a $12.00 Razorrock brush.
Got a few soaps however. Settled on Mikes Natural. Cheap enough and slick.
I spoil myself with Thayers Toner Rose Petal. $10.00. Lasts forever and puts out any hot spots I may get from rushing.

I think The Quaznoid Theory is based on people who view shaving as a necessary chore.
After all if it’s an enjoyable hobby, why not have fun?

I’d grow a beard if it didn’t feel and look so bad.
@Hopalong, can we see a photo of your workhorse FOCS razor??

I got
I got the gold. I bought one, and loved it so much I got three more, for a total of 4. From Connaught Shaving in the UK, they always seem to have them, and they were delivered to my door in California in less than a week for $30.00 each. That included shipping and they don't charge tax. They also came with a 5 pack of blades each. Haven't tried them yet as I use the Personna Lab Blues. So I have one, plus a spare, and I gave two away as gifts. The recipients, who have no experience with DE razors, immediately took to them without any problem. The only instruction I gave them was "don't press down, just go lightly and let the razor do the work." They are always thanking me.
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG

I got

I got the gold. I bought one, and loved it so much I got three more, for a total of 4. From Connaught Shaving in the UK, they always seem to have them, and they were delivered to my door in California in less than a week for $30.00 each. That included shipping and they don't charge tax. They also came with a 5 pack of blades each. Haven't tried them yet as I use the Personna Lab Blues. So I have one, plus a spare, and I gave two away as gifts. The recipients, who have no experience with DE razors, immediately took to them without any problem. The only instruction I gave them was "don't press down, just go lightly and let the razor do the work." They are always thanking me.View attachment 1769282View attachment 1769283View attachment 1769284
Congrats on finding “the one”. I keep coming back to posts from guys like you for inspiration. I’ll figure out what mine is at some point. Thanks for posting the pics. 👍🏼

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yea, I’ll save that part of the challenge for when I’m really strapped for cash. 😜

Re: "stuff" on the soap...

Oh, please. It's soap. It washes clean.

I grew up in a family that all showered with the same bar of soap and used the same bottle of shampoo until it was gone. Nobody had "their" soap. Standing Rule #1 was "Always rinse off the soap before you put it back."

Of course it's normal; it's how I grew up. :)

O.H.

Congrats on finding “the one”. I keep coming back to posts from guys like you for inspiration. I’ll figure out what mine is at some point. Thanks for posting the pics. 👍🏼
I don’t know what you’ve tried, but I have a Rockwell 6S, and a Gamechanger .84SB, .84OC, .68SB, and .68OC. collecting dust in my cabinet. None of which has been used very much. In the spirit of the season if you want one of them, send me your address and I will send one of them to you. If you don’t like it, send it on. You get first pick, if you want it. Anyone else chime in and I’ll send you one of the remaining ones. If it’s not for you, send it on . I’ll pay the shipping. I’m not real familiar with private messages, so I might need help. Let me know, for example, if you message me so I can go look for it. Merry Christmas!

That is a mighty kind offer Hopalong! Great people on this forum. I'm not going to take you up on that offer. Not because I don't appreciate it because I really do. That's very kind of you. BUT, because I think my dilmena has been solved today. You see I started the Quaznoid Challenge because I was inspired by his suggestion to ditch everything and just use a Tech razor. I accumulated a handful of different razors rather quickly, switching between them and getting more and more confused. After deciding to just keep a few and not worry about it, earlier today my Mother-in-law gifted me not only a little synthetic Kent shaving brush...but a nickel Fatip Piccolo! LOL. She knew I was getting into safety razors and somehow she landed on buying me one of these. Wondering if my wife did a little snooping. Regardless, this Piccolo is now my razor and I will fulfill the mission of passing along the rest. (yes I already have one but I didn't tell her that :) This has more meaning since it was a gift.

Attachments

• IMG_4413.jpeg
    IMG_4413.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Re: "stuff" on the soap...

Oh, please. It's soap. It washes clean.

I grew up in a family that all showered with the same bar of soap and used the same bottle of shampoo until it was gone. Nobody had "their" soap. Standing Rule #1 was "Always rinse off the soap before you put it back."

Of course it's normal; it's how I grew up. :)

O.H.
That is how our house still works, at least with the bar soap. :crying:

We have a facial soap, pump bottle though. You wouldn't want to start by washing your face as think about the last thing the previous person washed with the bar. :scared:

Well just kidding. The posts on the cap of this piccolo are bent. I thought I was just seeing things at first but nope, bent. That’s a bummer. When I got an old type with a bent cap it made sense, but that thing is like one hundred years old while this Fatip is new. Heard there is occasional quality control issues.

Well, I tried to gently bend these cap pins back to straight, and the second I put pressure on it…..snap. Call me crazy, but they look glued on. 🧐

Attachments

• IMG_4427.png
    IMG_4427.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 28

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, I tried to gently bend these cap pins back to straight, and the second I put pressure on it…..snap. Call me crazy, but they look glued on. 🧐

I have seen a few people on the forum have issues with Fatip location pins coming away from the cap. Some have just epoxied theirs back on.

I'm new to safety razor shaving, but not new to hobbies which have community forums related to them. So, as I got into this, as usual I dove in head first and already have a handful of razors. In an attempt to circumvent the typical long process of buying, selling, rebuying, selling etc, I've been wanting to find something that works for me quickly and try to keep it simple. I've found a few posts by member Quaznoid and decided to go all in and take what I'm calling the Quaznoid challenge. These posts have jumped out to me, but really any posts where I see that someone sticks to one simple shaving setup are the ones that speak to me.
Quaznoid said:
If you want good results and maximum economy:

1. Buy one razor, learn to use it and stick with it. You only need one. A vintage Gillette Tech or SuperSpeed should be available at a flea market, antique shop or on the web for less than $20. A Lord L5 is available on the web for $7. All fantastic razors.

2. There are a lot of brushes out there for under $10.

3. I lather with ordinary bath soap scraps from around the house. It’s free and makes great lather.

4. If you don’t want to lather, there’s no shame in using canned foam. Gillette Foamy or Barbasol are excellent for $1 to $2 per can.

5. You can experiment with many blades or you can buy some Personna Lab Blues which work on the vast majority of faces.

The key to making this work and remaining economical is to keep it simple and stay off Badger & Blade. The posters here will try and convince you that you need more stuff and that that perfect shave is just another purchase away, or that you need to adopt some screwball technique to achieve Nirvana. There is no perfect shave and Nirvana is merely a state of mind. I advise you to acquire a simple kit, learn to use it, and never come back to B&B.

Quaznoid said:
Learn to use the Tech, then get rid of everything else.

So, I'm going to keep my pre-war Tech and I'm going to pass along everything else. Tech, brush, Astra SP blades, and I'll finish this unscented shaving cream I've got. Once the cream is gone, I'll be using leftover bars of soap to lather with. We shall see how long this will last, but for me it will be more beneficial and arguably more fun that just buying more and more stuff. By the way I don't know Quaznoid at all and I'm hoping he doesn't mind me using his handle for this challenge. All in the name of good fun and simplicity. 🙂
Below is a photo of my simple kit moving forward as well as the instant small collection I’ve already accumulated that I’ll be sending along.
I appreciate the effort. I don’t consider what I do or recommend as a challenge; it’s the way I shave and have shaved for 50 years.

There are some misconceptions about my regimen:

1. I shave with bath soap because it works well. And it’s free. The pubic hair comment seems odd and unnecessarily offensive. I’ve never encountered this problem

2. I enjoy my shaves. There is no contradiction between economy and pleasure.

3. I get a better shave from my post-war Ball-handled Tech than my pre-war Fat-handle

4. I didn’t develop my regime for its economy. I developed it because it worked and there wasn’t much available in 1973. I used canned foam for a long time; I had the one razor, a ‘73 SuperSpeed, until 20 years ago or so when I found the Tech in a drawer. Until I discovered B&B those were my razors. I never thought I was missing anything, and the slight case of RAD B&B infected me with didn’t shake my opinion that I wasn’t missing anything with the original two Gillettes. In fact it was the opposite: It confirmed that those two were as good as it gets and there was no need to change anything.

You can shave anyway you want. If you don’t want to do it my way, don’t. But I know what works for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom