What's new

How I came to accept and embrace canned foam.

Here's my story on how I came to accept and embrace canned foam for most of my shaves. I've been a member here at B&B since 2008 and by trail and error, I learned how to get great shaves with a safety razor and a brush.

Life however, doesn't care for this and every now I then when I was very busy, a can of foam managed to creep in. This allowed me to get a proper shave in 3 to 5 minutes whereas as it would always take me about 10 minutes with a brush. Hard water and difficulty to get good lather and the clean up afterwards being the culprit.

All the while my 'fast' shaves with foam were just as good as my 'brush' shaves. Foam mixed with a little water and proper DE technique, goes a long way.

All of this his now gotten to the point where I use foam for 90% of my shaves. I'll be honest, I Iike the convenience and speed it offers me. I still use brush and soap when I have time, mostly during weekends.

I guess I can expect a visit from the shaving police any time now 😉

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Accepting what works better; especially when it bucks a pre-conceived notion; is tough to do, but you’ve done it.

I don’t know how things were done before 2020, but usually canned foam user are asked to try the Proraso shave foam in the yellow canister these days.

More depressing than the idea of the Shave Police dragging you away in manacles and sentencing you months of labor in the Tabac mines is that there’s no Regent of Wet Shaving willing to bare witness to all the times you endured the extra lathering and cleanup time on weekdays instead of using foam. Not a single parade, proclamation, or reward.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member

Police Bridge GIF by South Park

Use what works best for you. I still use a Cart when I’m in a hurry. Allows me to get a good shave without thinking about what I’m doing. No canned foam, though, I use Arko and a synth brush while in the shower.

I use them all the time and I’ve said this a lot here. In fact I just used foamy 15min ago.

Mix with water (a lot) and it’s as slick as a soap to me. I don’t notice a huge difference. Call me crazy.

I have a rotation of foams just like soaps and creams. Proraso, barbasol, foamy, Noxzema… bring them all.

I use them all the time and I’ve said this a lot here. In fact I just used foamy 15min ago.

Mix with water (a lot) and it’s as slick as a soap to me. I don’t notice a huge difference. Call me crazy.

I have a rotation of foams just like soaps and creams. Proraso, barbasol, foamy, Noxzema… bring them all.
And from what I understand Foamy now has the pre-2022 scent again. So Gillette did listen it seems.

No judgement here - do what works for you. I use canned foam on occasion when I am in a hurry. I prefer soaps and creams though for the scents and properties - slickness, moisturizing, cushion, etc.

While I do not use canned foam nor canned goop on a regular basis I do pull them along with a disposable to keep myself well abreast incase of emergencies while travelling. I have had it happen, but now it will not anymore since I can get these supplies anywhere.

Anyways, do what works for you no judgement here. We all like our nice comfortable shaves.

I have used canned foam off and on for years, most work marginal to saturate beard to soften. Honestly in time when money was tight, ends of bar soap in coffee mug was my shave soap applied via brush,

Today I use price point shave soap over canned foam.

Never found canned stuff I loved, it all goes flat on face too fast. Like no soap, thinning out,

I have used canned foam off and on for years, most work marginal to saturate beard to soften. Honestly in time when money was tight, ends of bar soap in coffee mug was my shave soap applied via brush,

Today I use price point shave soap over canned foam.

Never found canned stuff I loved, it all goes flat on face too fast. Like no soap, thinning out,
My experience is the opposite. Mixed with a little water, I get very nice moist lather that is very predictable and thus the same every day.

I also like that I can really work it into my stubble with just my fingers. In my experience, no brush can replicate this because it's just the lather and my fingers with no extra tool (a.k.a. brush) in between.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I occasionally use vintage Brut and Old Spice canned foams as they remind me of my youth. I also enjoy Barbasol as it evokes memories of a wonderful tour of the USA for the 50th birthday of my wife; I purchased the Barbasol at the Pasteur Pharmacy in New York. For me, the happiness I get from using these products is much more important than their performance, that said, their performance is just fine 👍

My experience is the opposite. Mixed with a little water, I get very nice moist lather that is very predictable and thus the same every day.

I also like that I can really work it into my stubble with just my fingers. In my experience, no brush can replicate this because it's just the lather and my fingers with no extra tool (a.k.a. brush) in between.

Learn new idea mix with water.🏆

I also use Barbasol and Gillette Foamy at least 1/3 the time for the same reasons everyone else is saying. I still work and don't always have the extra 5-10 minutes in the morning to make a nice soap lather.

I don't hate canned shaving cream. It's not a top end experience, but honestly I have made much worse stuff even using higher priced soaps.

What I have noticed improving my experience with canned creams is to use my brush to spread it on my face instead of my fingers. The brush works the cream in better and I seem to get a smoother shave as a result.

If a canned product works and you like it, then so be it. It’s like razors, you can shave with a 1000.00 razor or a 1.00 throw away. Eventually you will get the result that works for you.

Years ago there were heated debates on re-plated razors and how re-plating could destroy the integrity and value of vintage razors. People who got their razors re-plated typically held on to them. And let’s face it the percentage of re-plated razors to the overall vintage market is null.

Endless debates on using multiple razors for one shave have been discussed and debated. Cartridge use also gets its run.

This is why the phrase YMMV applies so well to shaving.

Here's my story on how I came to accept and embrace canned foam for most of my shaves. I've been a member here at B&B since 2008 and by trail and error, I learned how to get great shaves with a safety razor and a brush.

Life however, doesn't care for this and every now I then when I was very busy, a can of foam managed to creep in. This allowed me to get a proper shave in 3 to 5 minutes whereas as it would always take me about 10 minutes with a brush. Hard water and difficulty to get good lather and the clean up afterwards being the culprit.

All the while my 'fast' shaves with foam were just as good as my 'brush' shaves. Foam mixed with a little water and proper DE technique, goes a long way.

All of this his now gotten to the point where I use foam for 90% of my shaves. I'll be honest, I Iike the convenience and speed it offers me. I still use brush and soap when I have time, mostly during weekends.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a good can of Barbersol. I have to shave every single day for work and most of the time it’s Barbersol when I’m in a hurry. I don’t notice any difference between canned foam and brush other than scents and soap quality. But the end result is the same. So good on you.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nothing wrong with using canned foams and gels. I used Gillette Foams and Nivea canned products for years before joining this forum. I used to use them with a shaving brush and a Schick Super 2 cartridge razor and always got close shaves. I am still happy to use them today but I have so many soaps and creams now that I need to use them up. I am happy that you have found something that works for you.

Accepting what works better; especially when it bucks a pre-conceived notion; is tough to do, but you’ve done it.

I don’t know how things were done before 2020, but usually canned foam user are asked to try the Proraso shave foam in the yellow canister these days.

More depressing than the idea of the Shave Police dragging you away in manacles and sentencing you months of labor in the Tabac mines is that there’s no Regent of Wet Shaving willing to bare witness to all the times you endured the extra lathering and cleanup time on weekdays instead of using foam. Not a single parade, proclamation, or reward.
Back in the 80s it’s all we had was three brands of shaving cream Barbersol, Gillette, and noxzema. That was it you also had three choices of razors the safety, the cartridge, and the disposable. So getting a great shave with just a can of barbersol and a safety razor worked just fine it still does. It’s just the luxury of the brush and soap that is nice.

Top Bottom