What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Young Frankenstein (1974). I had never seen it before. It had some (very) good lines. But mostly I was just waiting for it to be over.
It's a film you have to watch a few times because the genius of Mel Brooks and his rapid fire dialogue really doesn't become apparent at one watch.
Each time, you catch little nuances you missed before that bring a new smile and chuckle.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Civil War, some pretty intense scenes. Appreciated that you couldn't tell which "team" was which.

Could have spent more quality time with Nick Offerman though.

Legion

Staff member
MV5BZTdmN2RkODEtODM4ZS00ZGRlLTliMTYtYmZmZWZkMTZmODYxL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzND...jpg

Robin Hood, the 1922 silent with Douglas Fairbanks, streamed off Prime. It must be an old Kino version. Picture quality wasn't good and the score (a honky-tonk piano) was so bad I fell asleep halfway through it. I like other Douglas Fairbanks silents, especially The Mark of Zorro, The Gaucho, Thief of Bagdad, so I ordered the Cohen Robin Hood BD with a Mont Alto score. I always enjoy their scores.

The Beekeeper
Spoiler alert: I watched it when I saw it was free on Prime. I liked the action, but when 1 guy, who is expected and known what he looks like, can show up (unarmed) in an enclosed area and beat the FBI, Secret Service and a rogue team of top tier killers and get to a person without anyone else getting there to save them.... I was disappointed in how inept the "defense" was. But again, liked the action scenes.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Spoiler alert: I watched it when I saw it was free on Prime. I liked the action, but when 1 guy, who is expected and known what he looks like, can show up (unarmed) in an enclosed area and beat the FBI, Secret Service and a rogue team of top tier killers and get to a person without anyone else getting there to save them.... I was disappointed in how inept the "defense" was. But again, liked the action scenes.
If these types of movies were accurate, they'd only be 30 minutes long!

It's a film you have to watch a few times because the genius of Mel Brooks and his rapid fire dialogue really doesn't become apparent at one watch.
Each time, you catch little nuances you missed before that bring a new smile and chuckle.
I get it. For instance, until now I did not know about Chattanooga Choo Choo, which is essential to get one of the early jokes. And that was part of the problem for me. I think for this kind of humor, you already have to be immersed in the associated genre and pop culture. I am not a fan of horror films, classic or otherwise. I've never read or watched any Frankenstein material.

Now, I LOVED Spaceballs, because I knew Star Wars, and Star Trek, and all the space movies. I'm an 80's nut. I got all the references.

Hopefully I was successful in conveying that I recognized there were many witty and funny lines. I just didn't connect with them as much as others would like yourself.

Top Bottom