What's new

Strop setup?

I was wondering how everyone had their strops setup? I currently have a leather loop on the end of mine that I hook around the faucet for stropping, and then hang it back up in the closet. I am thinking there has to be a better way, especially since I would like to be able to get a more taut draw.

So, what do you guys do?

I hang the strop at exactly elbow hieght and leave it attached to a very pretty ornamental hook that is driven into a wall stud.

But I'm very serious about superior shaves! :smile:

As a newbie I have one strop that just arrived from Joel that fits on a door nob and I have a four sided paddle strop that just arrived 10 minutes go That I will be using once I get back home from work .

Nick

I hang the strop at exactly elbow hieght and leave it attached to a very pretty ornamental hook that is driven into a wall stud.

But I'm very serious about superior shaves! :smile:

I've got a "dual hook" drilled into a wood cabinet. You can get these type of "hooks" at hardware stores, they are advertised as a number of thinks (Key hooks, coat hangers, towel hooks etc) - just make sure to get one with a ball at the top of the hook if you can, so the strop will be less prone to pop out of the hook when you're stropping!

I was wondering how everyone had their strops setup? I currently have a leather loop on the end of mine that I hook around the faucet for stropping, and then hang it back up in the closet. I am thinking there has to be a better way, especially since I would like to be able to get a more taut draw.

So, what do you guys do?

I have a similar loop on my Tony Miller Starter strop. I hook it round a door knob for stropping purpuses.

So, what do you guys do?

Good question. I am sure pictures of your strop and how it is set up would be enjoyed if you can provide one!

I bought a vintage strop hook. I haven't installe yet as i rent my apartment and don't want to drill into the wood cabinets. For now my strops hang from the doorknob

Good question. I am sure pictures of your strop and how it is set up would be enjoyed if you can provide one!

Hehehe I would love to, but I just sliced the bejeesus out of my cheapo strop, so I am ordering a Tony Miller travel strop this weekend (it's pay day! woo!)

Once that gets in I will gladly take some pics.

I think I will go to Lowes this weekend and see what kind of hardware I can find to destroy my bathroom with. :biggrin:

My strops all hang on a hook on the inside of the small closet in my bathroom. They each have about 16 inches of shoe lace attaching them to the hook. Once I have my cream/soap whipped up and on my face, I reach into the closet for the one I want, pull it out (still on the hook), strop and let go. Gravity puts it away for me.

An important note to anyone wanting to do this: make sure you use a string/rope that is static (i.e. does not stretch) that way you can maintain the correct tension on the strop.

Top Bottom