What's new

January State OF The Strop Message

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Just wanted to give an update on what is in the works here at the Heirloom Razor Strop Co. as we enter our 19th year of making strops.

I have been looking at some new materials as many that I have sourced in the past are either getting hard to find or have jumped significantly in price. Last year my cotton almost doubled in price as has the genuine linen. The horsehide is still fairly easy to get but just does not have as nice an appearance as it once did. More staining, more mottled colors and rather varied textures from hide to hide. This means a much higher number of Plain strops and that the few Artisan strops will have more "character" and color variation. I wish they could be better but there is only one reliable USA source for horsehide and sadly it is what it is.

I have been testing some new cloth strop options and two forum members have kindly been testing these as well and giving me their feedback. Once all the results are in I hope to release these. One is a new, strong herringbone weave flax linen, a bit thinner and more coarse and seemingly a bit more aggressive. I am also testing a hemp webbing, thick like my current cotton but far softer and more supple but does still have that slight corregated zip/zip, corduroy "whistle britches" sound to it LOL.

I have also sourced more European (Italian) Bridle leather but in a nice medium brown tone. This has a good medium to slightly heavy draw and a very smooth and supple feel. For a heavier but still supple option I have tried some roughout versions too.

This is the European bridle, the Roughout is at the bottom and has the d-ring grips and cotton, the smooth at the top has the handles and genuine linen:

IMG_1170.JPG

The new cloth materials are the thick, supple hemp on the left and the new herringbone flax linen on the right:

IMG_1174.JPG

The European Bridle will be up on the storefront by the weekend, the Horsehide will be back up on my site next week once I cut and grade the hides.

I will be releasing the new fabrics as soon as testing is finished but if you want to try one ahead of final testing instead of my current cloth components, well, my arm can be twisted.

I did also drop all my Artisan pricing by $5 to try and curb inflation just a bit.

Thanks to all of you and to Badger & Blade for the continued support as always.

Tony

Last edited:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The European Bridle strops are now available on my storefront. I will add the Roughout tomorrow along with options for any "early adopters" who want to try the new cloth components before the actual transition to them.

Horsehide will be back next week as I need to cut and grade this latest shipment.

Thanks

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Those look like some nice materials. I hope it does well for you.
Thanks. The Bridle I have had before in a different color but the cloth options are new and so far have pretty favorable results. The linen is a bit thinner and coarser but with so many material shortages now days one needs to seek other sources.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Just listed some "Plain Chocolate", European Bridle & Cotton D-Ring strops on the storefront for $50

I will have some really fast and slick veg tanned Horsehide "Plain Vanilla" strops in a day or two as well

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The new cloth options are on the storefront now, cotton, hemp and the new linen.

Right now, cotton is in good supply, and I am awaiting more supply info from the mill on the hemp availability. Linen however is very difficult to get.

Last edited:
Hi Tony. I'm interested in making a purchase but noted on your website the random difficulties with international orders. Wondering whether you have shipped to Thailand in the past? If so, problematic?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Hi Tony. I'm interested in making a purchase but noted on your website the random difficulties with international orders. Wondering whether you have shipped to Thailand in the past? If so, problematic?
I do ship anywhere in the world and have had no issues other than with the Philippines where occasionally packages get "stolen" (I am told) before delivery. International shipping is expensive and takes a good 2 weeks or more to arrive. I use only Priority Mail and charge actual costs ($45'ish to Canada, $65'ish to most other countries). I have tried less expensive methods only to have packages go missing and having to refund out of pocket as lesser shipping methods are not insurable. Be aware though that many countries will add taxes and fees on top of the purchase price.

I storefront shopping cart will show your shipping costs before you need to commit to an order.

Understood. Yeah, the shipping/duty is a killer. I may need to hunt around for the best balance between a quality product and shipping/duty that doesn't eclipse the price of the strop itself. Thanks.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
European Bridle Plain Strops are on sale now, $45

European Bridle, standard heavy cotton and D-ring grips

Top Bottom