What's new

Shaving Oil in depth

Interesting post. I would caution against stating that "(m)ost essential oils are to one degree or another irritating so I suggest not putting them in shaving oil." Many essential oils have beneficial properties. As you said for carrier oils, an individual can avoid an essential oil if necessary, but you don't need to avoid them.
Also, as mentioned above, your information is very specific regarding amounts of oils to be used. It might be handy for those interested in shaving oils to see where that information comes from.
Welcome to B&B!

Concerning preshave oils, I think their popularity began with cartridge systems (King of Shaves). The average wet-shaver is not too hot on the idea because preshave oils sound gimmicky, and any decent soap or cream will have enough glide and contain sufficient moisturizers anyway (or so the argument might go). Also, in traditional wet shaving, one of the objectives is to strip fatty-acid lipids from the hair shaft because that theoretically reduces the soak time. So, the addition of a preshave oil may seem counter-productive to some.

Last edited:
I have yet to try an oil, but I'm interested. It might be nice to have some information on acceptable amounts of a few scented oils that aren't irritating. For example, I know that rose (real rose) essential oil is supposed to be beneficial for reducing redness and irritation.

I have yet to try an oil, but I'm interested. It might be nice to have some information on acceptable amounts of a few scented oils that aren't irritating. For example, I know that rose (real rose) essential oil is supposed to be beneficial for reducing redness and irritation.

Just click on the oil you're interested in, and you'll find a profile of an oil's properties, and a brief history of its use. The prices were pretty fair IMO, and where I made my purchase of Bergamot Mint and Lavender 40/42. https://silkyscents.com/index.htm

Wow. Thanks for the info. My skin get extremely dry, especially in the winter. I'm Going to check the ingredients in the Somerset's oil I've been using

Quite old topic, but I am interested is those same amounts of oils be relevant with beard oil too? So that castor can’t be over 30% and so on?

Bumping an old thread here, but it inspired me to make my own pre-shave oil. I've yet to use it, but quite excited to do so!

I went with the following (found in the kitchen and the Mrs' hair products cupboard!):

Olive oil
Avocado oil
Castor oil
Coconut oil
Shea butter
Jojoba oil

(all in equal parts)

The Shea butter and Coconut oil were solid, so I melted them in a pan with the other oils and gave them a good mix. I didn't bother with any essential oils because the only ones I have at home are Teatree and Lavender, plus I didn't see the point in adding a fragrance when i'll be adding fragranced lather over the top of it anyway. I don't want to spoil that by having competing scents in the oil.

Popped the oil into a 125ml amber glass pump spray bottle.

Anyone else done similar?

Wow. Thanks for the info. My skin get extremely dry, especially in the winter. I'm Going to check the ingredients in the Somerset's oil I've been using

Somersets is awesome shave oil! Quite pricey for a pre shave but totally worth it if it's the sole shaving medium (I used it for 5 years with a mach 3 razor).

Bumping an old thread here, but it inspired me to make my own pre-shave oil. I've yet to use it, but quite excited to do so!

I went with the following (found in the kitchen and the Mrs' hair products cupboard!):

Olive oil
Avocado oil
Castor oil
Coconut oil
Shea butter
Jojoba oil

(all in equal parts)

The Shea butter and Coconut oil were solid, so I melted them in a pan with the other oils and gave them a good mix. I didn't bother with any essential oils because the only ones I have at home are Teatree and Lavender, plus I didn't see the point in adding a fragrance when i'll be adding fragranced lather over the top of it anyway. I don't want to spoil that by having competing scents in the oil.

Popped the oil into a 125ml amber glass pump spray bottle.

Anyone else done similar?

Do you find the shea butter and coconut oil become solid in the mix?

I would like to try a blend of coconut, shea, castor and olive but I fear the solidified portion would be a pain in winter time.

I've had a bottle of CO Bigelow shave oil for years. I use it every so often then I remember why I don't use it. It kills lather and it's just not worth the hassle to me.

Top Bottom