What's new

Shaving Oil in depth

I know this topic has been discussed frequently but I got interested in shaving oils and I’d like to share some information from my research (if you want to see why I became interested see the end of the post).

Oils have many properties, many of them good such as nourishing the skin; other properties are not good such as being irritating or comedogenic (plugging pores which leads to blemishes, pimples, blackheads, or zits). So the best shaving oil would be one that lubricates while shaving and nourishes the skin but is not irritating or comedogenic. As shaving oils are used in small quantities and may be stored for a time, they should also have a shelf life of 9 months to a year to prevent the oil from going rancid.

Oils can further be described as “essential” oils which is are plant extracts obtained often for the aromatic properties (they smell good;) they are used in very small amounts in a blend usually to impart a fragrance. Most essential oils are to one degree or another irritating so I suggest not putting them in shaving oil. Especially since the shaving oil fragrance will be washed off/removed during the shaving and cleanup process and has no lasting purpose; why have the irritation risk? If you must use them do so at only 1-3% of a blend. The rest of an oil blend are “carrier” oils having the other qualities described above; there can be “primary” and “secondary” (also known as “base”) carrier oils. Primary oils are used for their specific qualities the secondary/base oils make up the bulk of the blend.

Primary oils (alphabetic order):

Castor oil: A unique oil, mostly composed of rinoleic acid which is among other things a potent antibacterial and antiviral agent; rinoleic acid is not found in other oils. It is thick and lubricating with great healing and nourishing qualities. This oil is also an antiinflammatory which can sooth skin that is irritated by the shaving process. It also helps clean the pores (just as any mechanic knows that gasoline dissolves grease, so oil dissolves oil and this one helps to clean the pores and repair blackheads etc). However, too much of a good thing can be bad; it should be limited to 10% for oily skin, 20% for normal skin and 30% for dry skin.

Jojoba oil: this is actually not an oil at all but a wax ester extract from the seed of the jojoba tree. It has is absorbed quickly into the skin and is very nourishing. It is non-comedogenic, non-irritating and reportedly can help heal wounds and skin diseases. Again too much can be bad, if used in concentrations of over 30% it can be drying to the facial skin.

Kukui Nut oil: like macadamia nut oil this is from Hawaii and has legendary reports of being beneficial for the skin. It should not be used as over 10% of a blend.

Macadamia Nut oil: antiinflammatory, reportedly can heal wounds, scars, sunburns and other irritations. It should not be used as over 10% of a blend.

Neem oil: widely used in India for skin conditions and reportedly has great healing qualities. It is very aromatic (most people say it stinks) so don’t use as over 5% of a blend.

Secondary/Base oils (alphabetic order):

Almond oil: commonly used with many essential fatty acids (EFAs) lightweight and easily absorbed.

Grape seed oil: light, nourishing and easily absorbed it has linoleic oil that helps the skin stay supple. It is a good choice but with a shorter 3-6 month shelf life so mix the shaving oil in small quantities.

Olive oil: the fat composition is very close to that of human skin so it is absorbed quickly and helps maintain the skin’s moisture content, can be used even by people with naturally oily skin; hypoallergenic (few people are allergic to it).

Sunflower oil: nourishing and inexpensive with many good qualities but has a short shelf life so mix in small quantities.

Not Recommended Oils (some of these are great for massage oils but due to the higher comedogenic potential or increased potential for irritation are I do not recommend their use in shaving oils:

Apricot oil: moderately comedogenic
Avocado oil: moderately comedogenic
Coconut oil: very lubricating but comedogenic.
Corn oil: comedogenic
Cotton Seed oil: comedogenic and irritating
Evening Primrose oil: moderately comedogenic and possibly irritating
Mineral oil (includes baby oil): Petroleum based; why use non-natural oil when there are so many other good choices?
Peanut oil: moderately comedogenic
Safflower oil: lots of unsaturated fatty acids, moisturizing, inexpensive; but with a very short, about 3 month, shelf life; if you use this mix very small quantities.
Sesame oil: moderately comedogenic
Soybean oil: moderately comedogenic
Wheat Germ oil: comedogenic

My current formula is:
Primary Oils:
Castor Oil 20% (.5 oz. or 15 ml.)
Jojoba oil 20% (.5 oz. or 15 ml.)
Secondary Oils:
Olive oil 20% (.5 oz. or 15 ml.)
Almond oil 40% (1 oz. or 30 ml.)

This gives 2.5 oz. or 45 ml. of shaving oil blend which is a amall enough quantity to use before the oils go rancid. I tried to buy small quantities so each successive blend will be fresh oil but couldn't get some i such small amounts so the remainder of my stock is in the refrigerator which will help preserve them.

I like this blend and it works very well. I expect the first two components will remain the same in future blends but I will experiment with other base oils. (I chose the heavy concentration of Almond oil to use up a supply I have on hand.) People with oily skin may want to decrease the Castor oil concentration to 10% while those with dry skin amy want to increase it to 30%. Then add or subtract to the remaining secondary oil concentration to keep the proportions constant.

A nice secondary benefit to this blend is that it can be used as an oil cleanser for the face. To do so put it on the entire face before showering. Then while in the shower put a hot, wet washcloth on your face and hold it there for a minute then wipe gently, repeat 2-3 times but don’t scrub and don’t use soap. You can do this perhaps weekly to deep clean the pores.

Feel free to experiment with the oils listed above and adjust your formulas as you wish.

Most of these oils can be gotten at a good natural foods store (Whole Foods, Sprouts, Henry’s, etc.) I learned from another post that they can also be ordered from www.essentialwholesale.com. That site also sells a shave oil base that looks quite good; they recommend using it with just the addition of essential oils for fragrance. Instead of that, I’d suggest using the Castor and Jojoba oils as above with their shave oil base as the remainder.

OK, the history of this post: I am a noob coming across this site not too long ago looking for ratings of razors since it is very hard to get refills for the Sensor Excel I’ve been using for years (since they came out). I read about your philosophy of shaving and decided that shaving oil was something I could try to see if the folks here really knew what they were talking about. As some just used olive oil, which I have in the kitchen, I tried it and realized an immediate difference so decided to go further and see if there were things that could be done to make it even better (I generally go overboard when I get into a subject). Here’s the result of that research. and I hope it may be helpful to some of you too.

(After the oil my next step was to get a DE, an Edwin Jacobs 89 which I like; I’ll be trying soap and brush when I run out of the cans of foam I currently have.)

Nice summary. One thing to pount out is that some essential oils have antibacterial or preservative properties so are nice to use. Also clove oil is an analgesic so I think a lot of the shave oils have that to deaden the sensation in your skin so you feel less irritated. I don't know how much you have to use to get any noticeable effect but put a drop straight up on your tounge and it'll go numb...

Thanks for all the information and research.

I currently use Pacific Shave preshave oil on a daily basis. Not sure of its oil blend, though.

Great primer on shaving oils, thanks for sharing! Quit a few people recommend a 50/50 blend of olive and castor oils fir shaving use. I always found it too harsh, and now I know why. Recently I've been using L'Occitane shower oil as a shaving oil and love it. It's primarily grape seed oil.

Great first post Chrisss, very much what I had discovered when blending my own but didn't have the compunction to post as you have.
Welcome to B&B

This is a great post. I have played around with homemade shaving oil blends off and on over the years with varying amounts of success. I'm going to try your recommendation.

Welcome to B&B BTW.

Thanks for the general encouragement. For specific responses:

Quintar: Yes, some essential oils have great qualities in addition to being aromatic, but most of them, including clove oil, still have the potential to be irritating which is why I choose not to use them. I've seen clove oil described not so much as a analgesic, to alleviate pain, as a topical anesthetic to, as you pointed out, deaden sensation. It is also used in emergency dental situations (put a drop on a tooth if a filling falls out and a nerve is exposed to anesthetize the pain) Though I love the clove smell, I'm afraid of it, I am not yet at a point where I want to decrease sensation as I shave as I'd probably then shave too aggressively. :scared:

scaevola; you are correct, I had the razor name wrong -told you I was new :001_unsur

Blue Racoon; I agree that Tea Tree oil can be irritating so choose not to use it. Also, I don't see how you could consider the post an informercial. I have no connection to Essential Wholesale and have never purchased anything from them. I listed 4 resources for supplies; that one I found on another post on this site. Also you will notice I suggested not using their shave oil base as they described.

Great primer on shaving oils, thanks for sharing! Quit a few people recommend a 50/50 blend of olive and castor oils fir shaving use. I always found it too harsh, and now I know why. Recently I've been using L'Occitane shower oil as a shaving oil and love it. It's primarily grape seed oil.

Remember that the L'Occitane *shower* oil also has some detergents in it, which may help or hinder your final lather quality.

(I'm not talking about the Cade *shave* oil, that is detergent free.)

A couple (well actually four) of points:

The primary fatty acid chain in castor oil is ricinoleic acid, but it is not composed mostly of this or any other acid, like all fats, castor oil is an ester consiting of three fatty acid chains attached to a single glycerin chain. There will be some free fatty acids, but they will be in low concentrations.

Jojoba oil is an oil, it's just not a fat. It's a micro wax, like lanolin or petroleum jelly.

Oils, do not moisturize, only water can moisturize, oils prevent water from evaporating from the skin surface.

Mineral oil is natural, it just comes from a non-vegetable source (at least not for the last few million years or so). Lanolin is non-vegetable as well, does that make it unnatural. Actually your bodies natural oils (which are a combination of fats and waxes) are non-vegetable, so by your definition, they are un-natural.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, oils are by and large adsorbed onto the surface of your skin, not absorbed (e.g in your blood). To the extent that they are absorbed, it means that they are entering your blood (or some other liquid), which is probably not a good thing.

...Mineral oil is natural, it just comes from a non-vegetable source (at least not for the last few million years or so). Lanolin is non-vegetable as well, does that make it unnatural. Actually your bodies natural oils (which are a combination of fats and waxes) are non-vegetable, so by your definition, they are un-natural.

From Wiki:

Mineral oil is a common ingredient in baby lotions, cold creams, ointments and cosmetics. It is a lightweight inexpensive oil that is odorless and tasteless. It can be used on eyelashes to prevent brittleness and breaking and, in cold cream, is also used to remove creme make-up and temporary tattoos. One of the common concerns regarding the use of mineral oil is its presence on several lists of comedogenic substances (Acne cosmetica is a term referring to acne caused by or made worse by cosmetics.[1]:240 The mechanism was presumably a chemically induced plugging of the pilosebaceous orifice.).

lanolin's safety and efficacy is probably best illustrated taking a look at the market. High lanolin content baby care products (some as high as 100%) and treatment products for nursing mothers are commonplace. More recently, using modern scientific methods, attention has focused on the positive aspects of lanolin and on increasing our understanding about how lanolin achieves its beneficial skin effects.[1]
Modern analytical methods have revealed that lanolin possesses a number of important chemical and physical similarities to human stratum corneum lipids; the lipids which help regulate the rate of trans-epidermal water loss and govern the hydration state of the skin.[1][8][9]

Last edited:
From Wiki:

Mineral oil is a common ingredient in baby lotions, cold creams, ointments and cosmetics. It is a lightweight inexpensive oil that is odorless and tasteless. It can be used on eyelashes to prevent brittleness and breaking and, in cold cream, is also used to remove creme make-up and temporary tattoos. One of the common concerns regarding the use of mineral oil is its presence on several lists of comedogenic substances (Acne cosmetica is a term referring to acne caused by or made worse by cosmetics.[1]:240 The mechanism was presumably a chemically induced plugging of the pilosebaceous orifice.).

lanolin's safety and efficacy is probably best illustrated taking a look at the market. High lanolin content baby care products (some as high as 100%) and treatment products for nursing mothers are commonplace. More recently, using modern scientific methods, attention has focused on the positive aspects of lanolin and on increasing our understanding about how lanolin achieves its beneficial skin effects.[1]
Modern analytical methods have revealed that lanolin possesses a number of important chemical and physical similarities to human stratum corneum lipids; the lipids which help regulate the rate of trans-epidermal water loss and govern the hydration state of the skin.[1][8][9]

Putting aside for the moment the reliability of the stuff from wikipedia, how is it a response to the post you're quoting?

Couple of questions:

Where did the maximum primary concentrations come from? (Not questioning them, just curious)

Isn't avocado oil used in heaps of commercial pre-shaves? (Just asking, again, not sure)

I also agree about essential oils, they have a place in this realm. And finally, macadamia oil is awesome for cooking! :D

Putting aside for the moment the reliability of the stuff from wikipedia, how is it a response to the post you're quoting?

Facepert stated; Mineral oil is natural, it just comes from a non-vegetable source...
While it is natural, it's Petroleum based and can clog pores leading to acne.

Facepert also stated; Lanolin is non-vegetable as well, does that make it unnatural...
No, it's a natural non-vegetable fat that does have chemical and physical characteristics that are very similar to our own.

Hence... Mineral Oil is not so good, Lanolin is quite good... in moderation of course.
Wiki was a convenient source which I had verified last January while deciding on the oils to be used in my Preshave blend. It all boils down to your personal choice on your blend, I was just offering my findings in supplement to the OP's.

Top Bottom