What's new

Beard Oil -- why bother?!

I have had a beard on-and-off for 20 years. Now, on again in the cold of NYC.

Waaaaay back, aisles (nor online) was filled with fancy "Beard Oil" products. You had a bear = you had a beard. SMartest was, of course, to was under the beard so nothing caught up on you in terms of rashes. Other than that, why use oil?

Then I saw Beard Oil, for years. Never bought one. FINALLY, I bought Zeus brand "Refined Beard Oil" for $25 (first beard oil ever purchased here), which (after getting past the marketing nonsense and fancy bottle) I see the main ingredient is Sweet Almond Oil, the Soybean Oil, then Avocado oil, and some "fragrance".

NOTE: My beard is relatively short, professional office length. Think 3-weeks growth, NOT looooooong.

------> For those who use/have used beard oils, how much? Use it? I do not want an oily feeling beard on my face, so I am thinking just a 'dot' to rub in. If any. Thoughts?

*My hunch is that it will "nourish" the bear hairs, make them less "flyable" and provide moisture to skin underneath so it doesn't get red and itchy. Anyone agree? Comments?

Cheers

Last edited:
I have used beard oil in the bast, but prefer beard balm. The main difference is that I don't find the balm as oily. When I used the oil, it was just a small amount in the palm of my hand that would then be worked into my beard. Like yourself, I don't let my beard get crazy long. My wife likes it kept neat and she has a lot of sway in many things.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have used beard oil in the bast, but prefer beard balm. The main difference is that I don't find the balm as oily. When I used the oil, it was just a small amount in the palm of my hand that would then be worked into my beard. Like yourself, I don't let my beard get crazy long. My wife likes it kept neat and she has a lot of sway in many things.
Same. I much prefer balm. Honest Amish is great.

Balm will most likely have some kind of wax in it. Not the greatest for skin; usually instructions say keep it on the beard, not skin.
I have a very short beard, I want something for my skin. I don’t like oily either, I want light. I’ve tried (and wasted a lot of money on) many types and brands.
I’ve settled on Dr. Nicks Amazing Man Stuff. Their beard oil is light, not oily, natural and organic. I like the #7 as a scent; very light, dissipates quickly, just smells clean. Hardly smells at all really.They say it’s a lime citrus.
I’m older, so I have a gray beard like a prickly porcupine. A steel wire brush.This stuff makes it soft and manageable.
Can’t believe I just said that.

Last edited:
It's mostly to benefit the skin underneath the beard, I think, Also, can have a nice scent. I used to have a beard and made my own oil. IIRC, it was a combination of sweet almond and jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is supposed to be close to natural skin oil. Sweet almond oil is a very light oil that more or less disappears after applying, as long as you just use a few drops.

------> For those who use/have used beard oils, how much? Use it? I do not want an oily feeling beard on my face, so I am thinking just a 'dot' to rub in. If any. Thoughts?

*My hunch is that it will "nourish" the bear hairs, make them less "flyable" and provide moisture to skin underneath so it doesn't get red and itchy. Anyone agree? Comments?

Cheers
Take a look at Honest Amish, amazing products. I love their soaps, balms, oils, everything I have tried. I use 2 drops of their oil after the shower/shave and it makes a world of difference in how the hair feels for the day.

I use scented beard oil, as much for the fragrance as the slight shine. My beard is pretty well behaved. I’ve settled on a couple of scents from Luxurious Bastard Co. I like the oil combo they use and the scent is much longer lasting than others I have tried.
Jack

Balm will most likely have some kind of wax in it. Not the greatest for skin; usually instructions say keep it on the beard, not skin.
I have a very short beard, I want something for my skin. I don’t like oily either, I want light. I’ve tried (and wasted a lot of money on) many types and brands.
I’ve settled on Dr. Nicks Amazing Man Stuff. Their beard oil is light, not oily, natural and organic. I like the #7 as a scent; very light, dissipates quickly, just smells clean. Hardly smells at all really.They say it’s a lime citrus.
I’m older, so I have a gray beard like a prickly porcupine. A steel wire brush.This stuff makes it soft and manageable.
Can’t believe I just said that.
How does it make your skin UNDER the beard feel?

I like to comb some drops of beard oil in after a shower or washing my face. The brands I like are PAA followed by B&M. I'm also a fan of the beard oil that Stirling makes specifically either Baker Street or Barbershop.

Are locally available beard balms good for mustache area? I want to start shaping mine. I've trimmed it for years. I'm not really keen on spending a ton on shipping costs.

Any CVS will have a decent selection. IMHO, I avoid OILY balms and look more the hydration of skin underneath (beard is kept to 10mm length; YMMV).

But do oils and balms accomplish really all much more than just a liberal application of hair conditioner while in the shower?

I haven't tried a beard in years. There is a line that gets crossed at some point where I go from good looking beard to homeless, destitute man who no longer resists Entropy.

A friend recommended I try a beard again, months ago. I said at 51, don't need any help looking older. Saw him at the gym a few days ago. I had to do a double-take to make sure it was him. If ZZ Top did some live action movie, he could be a stunt double with that beard. We were born two weeks apart, but that Johnny Winter beard he has going on reminds me of those old dudes you see on bike trails using those recumbent bikes.
Kent-20-Unisex-Cavalier-Recumbent-3-Wheel-Bike-Trike-Black_abdc49c1-a33f-449c-b2a7-992e7a19f8...jpeg

But do oils and balms accomplish really all much more than just a liberal application of hair conditioner while in the shower?
It really depends on the beard texture. Well, and the conditioner, too, for that matter.

Fine, straight whiskers will need a lot less conditioning than coarse, wiry, or curly whiskers.

Had long and short beards over the years.....
I thought all these products were a scam. Tried on long beard and you can see the difference (used Honest Amish). I don't like most smells, then mixed my beard oils......used a lot along w butter for long beard. Now recently, after those oils went rancid....I skipped it....and my now grey/white whiskers looked horrible....oil brings life to it and softens it..... You can buy oil from trader joes and use it.

Conditioner : I use that to wash three times a week....better than shampoo.

Top Bottom