What's new

Stihl - Why didn't I do this sooner?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yes I understand that things like compression mean that there is no direct translation of volume to power. My question is more along the lines of do you believe the power rating? Products like shop vacs and impact guns are notorious for using specialized, non real world set ups or initial current in rush to lie about the performance of their tools---a shop vac isn't going to make 6 hp when you vacuum out your shop. Do you feel like Stihl is being honest?
Of course, I don't have any way to accurately measure it, but judging by the whiplash I get if I'm not careful where I start my cut, I think it's fairly truthful.
I have a wood cutting blade on mine right now and I can go through a 4 inch tree branch with ease.
I'll just say that it has more than adequate power to rip through everything I've put it up against, including substantial hickory branches. Hickory has a Janka hardness rating of 1820 (Black Walnut is 1010 and White Oak is 1360 for comparison).
It can get bogged if pinched, but so can my chainsaw which is 4hp.

Ok, thanks a lot. I'm not familiar with these small engines. I got my first gas string trimmer about two weeks ago. I've always used a corded electric trimmer since they always go when you pull the trigger, but that is no longer viable at my folks' house. I need to clean up the back of of my mine and my neighbor's property and a good brush cutter seems like the way to go.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok, thanks a lot. I'm not familiar with these small engines. I got my first gas string trimmer about two weeks ago. I've always used a corded electric trimmer since they always go when you pull the trigger, but that is no longer viable at my folks' house. I need to clean up the back of of my mine and my neighbor's property and a good brush cutter seems like the way to go.
Stihl has a reversible trimmer blade with three wings to cut through heavy grass and stalk like growth.
I have one, but it's early enough in the season I haven't used it yet. I have some areas that the mower just can't get near that get over run with very tall weeds and I'm looking forward to using it.
If it gets dull, you can flip it over and use the other side till you get a chance to sharpen.

61a-0bG8CxL.jpg

I'm fighting about 1/2 acre of wisteria, so I need all the help I can get. I was thinking the Stihl 131 with an aggressive saw blade type blade. I saw one video where a repair shop said that the kombi attachments will work with the 131. I assume it just two different starting points with the same engine.

The string trimmer I just got is a factory defect Ryobi 25cc. Cheap and runs great. It's just for fence work though.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm fighting about 1/2 acre of wisteria, so I need all the help I can get. I was thinking the Stihl 131 with an aggressive saw blade type blade. I saw one video where a repair shop said that the kombi attachments will work with the 131. I assume it just two different starting points with the same engine.

The string trimmer I just got is a factory defect Ryobi 25cc. Cheap and runs great. It's just for fence work though.
You mean the FS 131 with the bicycle handles? It's about a half a pound heavier, but it actually has a better harness system than mine to keep fatigue under control.

Stihl has a reversible trimmer blade with three wings to cut through heavy grass and stalk like growth.
I have one, but it's early enough in the season I haven't used it yet. I have some areas that the mower just can't get near that get over run with very tall weeds and I'm looking forward to using it.
If it gets dull, you can flip it over and use the other side till you get a chance to sharpen.

View attachment 1828781
They call that a brush knife. I believe Stihl says it's good for up to 3/4" wood. It will go through 3/4" with one whack. It use the brush knife for stuff as big as two inches. With a little sawing, it will cut it down.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I had the Troy Built version of that system. Same compatibility. Bought some of the attachments at sears too with their craftsman stuff before that whole thing tanked. I will admit the Troy Built stuff is not as good as it was decades ago. The power head took a dump after about five years. So I went down to sears and got the craftsman version. Never had an issue with that one. When I sold my house, it went at the yard sale. I am guessing that when I originally bought that stuff, there probably wasn’t a stihl version. And if there was, I may not have been able to afford it back then. Now I live in an RV, so no need.

I have a shed full of fantastic 2 and 4 stroke gear. Easy maintenance for me although intimidating for my wife sometimes. Since I picked up a battery powered Dewalt chainsaw, weed wacker and leaf blower, my wife now handles %90 of of yard work. I’ll let you do the math, I need to go charge some batteries and pack my pipe for an afternoon session of reading while watching the lovely Mrs. clear some brush😎.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Similar to the Stihl at the top of this thread, we have an old Echo PAS-260 power head I bought about 25 years ago. You can put a variety of attachments on it, starting with the usual weed trimmer. My son now uses it, and it still works great. It has only required a plug and filters change over all that time.

We bought a Stihl MS-211 chain saw about 6-8 years ago, and other than chain changes for resharpening, has required zero serious maintenance. Stihl used to have a promotion that when you bought a small 6-pack of their 2 cycle oil at time of purchase, they significantly extended the warranty.

All we've ever used on these machines are their premium synthetic 2 cycle oils, and reasonably fresh fuel.

The better commercial-grade 2-cycle equipment can go for a long time.

Top Bottom