What's new

Why do I need college?

This is in response to the OP who wanted to know if we are using what we got our degrees in. I get the impression that he may not think college is worth the time. I went back to college full time just this year. I have listened to recent high school graduate whine and complain about going to college. I felt the same way when I finished HS. I lived to regret not getting my degree.

After earning 37 hours this year here are a few observations I made about college and why it's important:

1. Colleges and universities provide the skill and tools necessary to compete. All the essays that you write are necessary to develop communications skills and to show you know the subject. If you are unable to express yourself clearly and coherently you're likely to end up with a job where communication isn't as important as grunt work....Do you want fries with that coke?

2. Forming study groups introduces the student to teamwork and to work effectively with others by sharing thoughts, ideas, and to develop solutions to problems. It is very rare that one is hired to work exclusively by themselves.

3. Attending classes on time every day teaches the student that tardiness is not tolerated and attendance is important to keeping a job. Who would likely keep someone on the payroll if they were constantly late or missed excessive number of days? Remember mommy and daddies aren’t around to wake up so you won't be late for work!

4. A research paper teaches students the importance of patience and accurate information gathering. Some jobs require market research, product development, etc. There is a correlation.

5. College teaches the student how to be a good listener and how to follow directions, if you fail at both of these your likely to fail the course and get fired from your job. The ability to listen and follow directions is the cornerstone of employment. What manager will keep you on the payroll if he has to constantly tell you what to do or leave written instructions because you can't remember how to do your job?

6. Earning a degree is one way to prove to an employer that you won't give up. If you give up on your degree you're also giving up on yourself. Employers want a person they can depend on to finish what they start, regardless of how challenging the job may be. The only thing between earning a degree or not is the student. There are other variables involved but people have greater control of their lives than they realize...free will.

7. Exams are a way for a student to learn to work under the pressure of a ticking clock and to deal with anxiety and the unknown. I don't know of anyone who hasn't worked under the pressure of a deadline. An exam also teaches the student how to prepare and develop study routines.

8. The process of an education is the education itself. You are teaching yourself to learn. Earning your degree is not the end of your education only the beginning. Your studies will continue when you're hired after graduation; you'll have to learn the company's accounting routine, how the billing works, you may be required to develop training material, or be asked to improve supply chain efficiency. That may not be what your degree is in. What will you tell your new manager, 'I didn't learn that in college...find someone else!' No, you'll learn what you need to do and successfully complete the assigned project.

9. Once you graduate your likely to make a lot of money. Your education may not be in finance. So, how do you avoid making financial mistakes? By learning how to manage your personal finances, the same way you learned the subjects you studied in college. If you majored in engineering, you weren't born an engineer you had to learn how to be one. The same is true with finances. If your smart you'll learn personal finances on your own so you can keep the money you make longer. If you don't learn how to manage your personal finances you'll be a victim of your own ignorance.

10. You'll learn how to effectively manage your time, to unclutter your day of time wasting activities. You'll learn what it is to be a responsible adult. OMG!!! You're learning to be a grown up!!! :eek:

11. If you want to promote regularly or become part of the management team you'll need a MS or MBA and most company's will pay for them.

12. Most companies require a minimum 3.0 GPA otherwise they won't even accept your application for employment. You have one chance to make good grades and keep them up.

College is more than books, doing research papers, making new friends, or cramming for an exam. Its also the journey, the things you experience while in college. You'll find out that you can do more than you thought you could. You'll build confidence in college and you'll need that confidence when you get your first real job or get promoted into that first real management position.

Advanced degrees, however, may or may not be worth your time. Especially for the Ph.D., you should always stop yourself and ask if the degree is really in your career path, or if you're trying to put off making big decisions.

Advanced degrees, however, may or may not be worth your time. Especially for the Ph.D., you should always stop yourself and ask if the degree is really in your career path, or if you're trying to put off making big decisions.

Most of the large companies in Houston require an advance degree to be considered for a management position. Those that are happy where they are and don't care to promote into management won't need that MS or MBA.

Good point, but this varies from field to field.

Also, if you enjoy learning, and your company pays for the education, it may not really be a matter of "worth your time" for some.

Why i needed college: because it was fun (I like learning), cheap (scholarships), and let me avoid having a real job for a few more pleasant years. My degree (BA liberal arts - music - jazz performance) is great for impressing other musicians, and looks better on a resume than nothing. But it sure doesn't put food on the table! An inquisitive mind and a love of learning coupled with ambition will get you anywhere in this world that you want to be, college degree or not.

College/university degrees don't necessarily get you a job. You will learn that and it's possible you will learn that the hard way.

However, confidence in yourself and the ability to do well in job interviews will stand you in better stead.

Good point, but this varies from field to field.

Also, if you enjoy learning, and your company pays for the education, it may not really be a matter of "worth your time" for some.

Yeah, Master's takes a year or two full time, and that's not really a big deal, but a Ph.D can take 4-6 years. That's a lot of earning years to give up.

I think the state of the economy and stock market has plenty to do with it as well. I'd be a very rich man if I took all the money I spent on college and put it all on the S&P500, even if I had a $8-$10/hr job.

College/university degrees don't necessarily get you a job.

However, confidence in yourself and the ability to do well in job interviews will stand you in better stead.

Maybe in those jobs you can get interviews for, but without that degree, your resume get get the circular file.

Maybe in those jobs you can get interviews for, but without that degree, your resume get get the circular file.

In order to be competitive a degree is a must, without it your resume and application will remain at the bottom of the stack.

They don't look at your academic qualifications. They look at what experience you have that is relevant to the job in question.

12. Most companies require a minimum 3.0 GPA otherwise they won't even accept your application for employment. You have one chance to make good grades and keep them up.
At least here in California, this one is completely incorrect. I have friends and family in high positions in technology and transportation companies, and no one cares what your GPA was in college. The degree gets you the interview, your interview skills and your job related skills actually land you the job.

As my dad states, the degree is the key to unlocking a door, but it's your skills and personality that make you walk through it.

I know idiots with degrees and I know intelligent people who don't have degrees. It all hinges on relevant experience and how you perform at the interview. Academic qualifications are very much secondary when the prospective employers work their way through the selection process.

All in all though, it depends on which job you're applying for, obviously.

Not Everyone Is College Material. Learning A Trade Is Something To Be Proud Of And Can Make You A Lot Of Money Also. We Need People To Fix Our Plumbing, Build Our Homes And Fix The Lights When It Gets Dark. Do Not Shortchange The Trades For You Or Your Children

To figure out if an advanced degree is worthwhile, a person should perform an ROI analysis. As already mentioned, certain fields and advancement opportunities are factors to consider. Toss in expected future income, cost of the degree (plus financing), foregone income while studying, age, perceived monetary value of one school vs another, etc. and you can get a reasonably good idea of whether an advanced degree is economically justified. When I was in law school I debated whether to continue and get a degree in taxation, which at the time would have run me another $30k. Conventional wisdom at the time was that the degree was worth about 4 years of work experience, so while it might have made some sense for a law student to go ahead and get it, someone who already had significant tax law experience would have received a lower return on his/her tuition dollars.

As for college degrees generally, I've felt that while an undergraduate degree may not get you a job, it will get you face time and lend credibility when interviewing, at least in those fields where a college degree is relevant. For technical fields however, a degree is pretty much mandatory.

Not Everyone Is College Material. Learning A Trade Is Something To Be Proud Of And Can Make You A Lot Of Money Also. We Need People To Fix Our Plumbing, Build Our Homes And Fix The Lights When It Gets Dark. Do Not Shortchange The Trades For You Or Your Children

Very true. In fact, I read a study that indicated that those who were happiest at their jobs were those who...ready for this?...worked with their hands. Which explains a hell of a lot about law anyway. ;)

That's certainly true. In many ways, though, training in the trades is an awful lot like getting a degree.

Quite right. You can earn quite a bit working in a skilled trade. Focusing on a specific trade or particular job, knowing how you are going to get there is the key to earning a nice wage. To sit there thinking you're the king of the castle just because you have some kind of a higher degree onkly means you haven't lived long enough :001_smile .

They don't look at your academic qualifications. They look at what experience you have that is relevant to the job in question.

I can see this turning into a huge debate between guys that don't have a degree but make $80k a year and the guys that have a degree and make $140k a year.

From Caddyshack:
Danny Noonan: I planned to go to law school after I graduated, but it looks like my folks won't have enough money to put me through college.
Judge Smails: Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too.

Seriously. I went back to college so I wouldn't have to work so hard to earn more money. I don't mind working in an office or wearing a suit. I got tire of working outside, doing laborious work, and smelling like a field hand at the end of the day. I wanted more for myself.

And getting that experience in many fields is much easier if you have that degree.

Not necessarily. For instance, my manager in my current job doesn't have a degree, yet I have. She's on at least £15,000 p.a. more than what I'm on. That's some difference IMHO, i.e. it's a lot of money. She has had the experience in working for the particular company that I work for, and just happened to do well at the interview. I'm not simply drawing a single example such as this to support my claim, yet do feel that experience is what prospective employers are more likely to be drawn to. If not, then why not?! And why shouldn't they be? Someone 22 years old fresh out of college who happens to have a top class degree isn't going to be able to cut it (at least not for a good while) in a competitive work environment at management level. They're either going to end up looking for another job, or *hate* the job that they get *until* they gain the *experience* to enable them to succeed at the job in hand to a reasonable degree. IMO, that would take time in the given circumstances,.

Top Bottom