What's new

SE Assimilation Tour - The Canadian Edition!

Luc, I pm'd you my address.

Maybe you could give us a brief how-to on loading and shaving with this particular SE? Is the angle/technique much different than with a DE?

Yay, I'm part of the tour, I just hope we don't have to include photos of the nicks. Thank you gentlemen.

Dale

Just a thought, Luc, once you have shipped the razor off to Chris perhaps it would be appropriate to begin plans for an SE Intervention tour with the same 5 participants. :001_smile

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
No worries, I will package a step-by-step in this thread. I also need to re-order the list (and put it in post 1) to have a more linear tour. Coming soon! Message received Chris.

Luc

Staff member
List is updated in Post 1 and I will re-update it as we go.

I took a few pictures on how to load the Featherweight. It's not complicated but I can understand if you never did that before. Those are the pictures of the Featherweight going on tour so this is exactly how it will look like.

Step 1 - Razor and the blade
$SANY6689 (700x511).jpg

Step 2 - You need to open the razor, so press down on the tab located on the back of the razor
$SANY6690 (700x524).jpg

Step 3 - Take out the cardboard from the blade and hold it by the sides. Slide it in the razor
$SANY6692.jpg

Step 4 - The edge must rest on the two little tabs located above the safety bar. This is very important
$SANY6697 (700x504).jpg

Step 5 - Push the tab on the back of the head up to close the head of the razor. One final look to be sure that the blade is still resting on the two tabs and you are ready to shave.
$SANY6698 (700x516).jpg

Now, on how to use it, here are some instructions that I stole from Viseguy (so thanks mate for posting this).

The Feather Weight instructions show the razor head flat against the face:
attachment.php

I've never used my Feather Weight, but with the 1912, MMOC and Heavy Flat Top I use pretty much the angle shown in the OP.

On a featherweight, I do not shave like the picture where the head is flat on my face, I give a 5 degree angle. You might need to play with it a bit but it shouldn't take long. The razor is almost flat on my face but it's not flat.

Luc

Staff member
Zee bird haz left zee nest... Zee bird is flying toward Mister M... Zee bird can be seen on the radar with the following number 0101327000834434

Forgot to mention, there's 1 razor packaged with 5 blades, so one blade for each of you. I get around 12-15 shaves per blade usually but don't push it if you don't want to.

Also, I didn't have any boxes anymore so I had no choice to use an envelope to wrap the whole, sorry gents.

Last edited:
Round 1 was a mixed experience. I did my usual shower for prep, then face lathered MWF (I love this stuff!), etc etc. 3 passes face, 1 pass neck.

Things I liked:
Proper blade angle was very easy to find, I started out with the head flat against my face, but ended up going slightly steeper. The handle, general shape and geometry of the razor were very natural. Despite the light weight it was easy not to apply to much pressure, possibly because of the large bearing surface of the head.

Things I didn't like:
Subjectively the blade doesn't feel as sharp as the DE's I'm used to. There was more tugging, particularly on my neck, and it seemed to take more force to take the razor glide through the whiskers. The razor is quite light with the plastic handle, that will take some getting used to. It also didn't give as smooth a shave as I'm accustom to; face felt ok initially, but seemed to get stubbly faster as the day progressed, neck is substantially more stubbly after only one pass than with a DE. I won't jump to pass judgment yet as I've yet to settle into the proper technique I'm sure. Also I managed to shred 2 little spots on my neck, however, I think my skin was just bumpy and dry in those spots, as my skin does weird things in the spring and I had some irritation there following my previous DE shave.

I'm going to give my neck a few days to heal/my skin to calm down and I will update you again when I shave it next.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I would say that's a good first try. It can't be perfect on try #1!

My skin finally calmed down enough to day to do a second full shave, goodbye neckbeard!

Same prep as last time, Palm Olive shave stick, Semogue 620, alum block, and Speick made up the rest.

Shave 2 was much more successful that #1.

Improvements/things I liked:
I went a little bit steeper with the angle today, and was able to get an equivalent smoothness to my DE shaves. This is a very mild razor compared to the NEW I've been shaving with lately, or even the 40's Superspeed I used for years before that. There was no blood letting this time (mostly due to my skin improving I think), and I was able to get my neck much smoother. The flat head makes it extremely easy to gauge blade angle, regardless of the part of your face you are shaving on. This makes an SE like this an excellent beginners razor I would think, and it's definitely helping me improve my angle control. I think I saw pictures of a DE with a ^ shaped head (though much shallower angle), I think that would be very handy as well. The blade seems much close to the safety bar than on other razors I've shaved with, which makes it easy to shave around my bread as well (with one exception noted below).

All and all I am really liking the razor itself quite a bit. It's nice not having to try and keep track of which side of the DE I'm using.

Things I didn't like:
I'm still not that impressed with the sharpness of the blade. I still felt some uncomfortable tugging, particularly on my neck. Also, in the little patches below the corners of my mouth where my beard doesn't grow in, I found the larger head of the razor made it difficult to effectively shave around my beard, so I ended up using a DE for those little spots.

Top Bottom