What's new

ROTD Run Of The Day : post yours

1/2 mile walk, 7-mile run, 1/2 mile walk. I had been stacking days together and was feeling run down (pun intended), so I took four days off. Today, based on perceived exertion, was relatively mellow until the last mile when I picked up the pace. The result was my fastest 10k at 58:45. I'm learning that fewer quality runs work better for me than quantity, which makes sense for my age.

Yesterday, I ran 5 miles, and today, I ran 6 miles, both easy. I have a 10-mile trail race one week from today, so I am dialing back the frequency, distance, and effort of my runs this week.

Best of luck! I'm eyeing some trail races too, but they probably won't be until fall/winter.

I did a 3.75 mile trail run yesterday. Today will be a longer day - I'll do between 2-3 miles at track practice, then am meeting my wife and our running partner for an easy 5.

Best of luck! I'm eyeing some trail races too, but they probably won't be until fall/winter.

I did a 3.75 mile trail run yesterday. Today will be a longer day - I'll do between 2-3 miles at track practice, then am meeting my wife and our running partner for an easy 5.
Thank you! A year ago, I was running run-walk intervals of only 3 minutes. I was dealing with some knee issues that forced me to stop running and get back to cycling for a while. Last fall, I could start running again and quickly built up to longer distances. It takes time, and I learned that forcing it is not the answer. Good luck reaching your goals! In June, I will be running a trail half marathon, and my longest trail run to date is 12 miles, so at least now I know I can finish the distance. I am having fun adjusting my training to try and finish faster than "just finishing."

Thank you! A year ago, I was running run-walk intervals of only 3 minutes. I was dealing with some knee issues that forced me to stop running and get back to cycling for a while. Last fall, I could start running again and quickly built up to longer distances. It takes time, and I learned that forcing it is not the answer. Good luck reaching your goals! In June, I will be running a trail half marathon, and my longest trail run to date is 12 miles, so at least now I know I can finish the distance. I am having fun adjusting my training to try and finish faster than "just finishing."

I used to run a lot, and was quite fast for someone who picked up the sport in middle age. Then I had some health issues and couldn't really run for about 8 years. I've gotten back into it over the last couple of years in fits and starts. Trying to be more consistent. And man, am I slow now. Still working on making my peace with that.

I didn't run yesterday because it was the first track meet of the year (I coach the distance runners at the middle school I teach at). The team placed second overall, and some good performances from the distance kids! I'm going to brag on my kids for a minute, because I'm proud of them.

Girls 1600: We finished in 2nd and 3rd place. The girl in third is a 6th grader who was running in her first track meet ever!
Girls 800: We finished 1st, 3rd, and 4th. Incredible kick by the first place girl over the last 125 meters to get the win.

Boys 1600: Finished in 3rd and 4th. The 4th place finisher probably could have placed higher but he started his kick waaaay too early and faded. Lesson learned.
Boys 800: Second and third place. This should have been first and second, but they were excited and started out too fast and had to hang on at the end.

I ran my second race ever, another 10-mile trail race with 650 feet of elevation gain. Today, I shaved 40 seconds/mile off my pace from five weeks ago for a finish time of 1:34:31 and 9:28/mile, good enough for third in my age class (55-59) and just over a minute out of second place. Overall, I was mid-pack. My taper into the race was better than my first race, so I learned something! During this race, I set my best 5k time (28:10) and my best 10k time (57:43), so all in all, I am happy with my results.

I'll take at least three or four days off, and when I do run, I will go easy and moderate distance for the next week. Maybe a couple of slow 4-mile runs. My next race is a trail half marathon at the beginning of June, so I will add a mile or two to most of my run distances once I get up to training speed again. With a week or so to recover and a two-week taper, that leaves five weeks of running, a three-week block of increasing activity, a one-week block of reduced volume and intensity to recover, and one week HARD before I head into my taper.

I had someone in front of me I was chasing the entire time, and I could tell the people behind me were working hard. About a mile from the finish, a group of four guys poured on the gas and dropped me, but they were younger, and there was no way I could have stayed with them! I was already going pretty hard, and my Garmin showed me at my threshold the entire race.

If my recovery from my last race is any indicator, I should be running more efficiently, and a bit quicker once I recover from this race. But now I am stepping up to 13.1 miles. My longest run is 12 miles, so I know I can do the longer distance, but judging the pace will be interesting.

I ran my second race ever, another 10-mile trail race with 650 feet of elevation gain. Today, I shaved 40 seconds/mile off my pace from five weeks ago for a finish time of 1:34:31 and 9:28/mile, good enough for third in my age class (55-59) and just over a minute out of second place. Overall, I was mid-pack. My taper into the race was better than my first race, so I learned something! During this race, I set my best 5k time (28:10) and my best 10k time (57:43), so all in all, I am happy with my results.

I'll take at least three or four days off, and when I do run, I will go easy and moderate distance for the next week. Maybe a couple of slow 4-mile runs. My next race is a trail half marathon at the beginning of June, so I will add a mile or two to most of my run distances once I get up to training speed again. With a week or so to recover and a two-week taper, that leaves five weeks of running, a three-week block of increasing activity, a one-week block of reduced volume and intensity to recover, and one week HARD before I head into my taper.

I had someone in front of me I was chasing the entire time, and I could tell the people behind me were working hard. About a mile from the finish, a group of four guys poured on the gas and dropped me, but they were younger, and there was no way I could have stayed with them! I was already going pretty hard, and my Garmin showed me at my threshold the entire race.

If my recovery from my last race is any indicator, I should be running more efficiently, and a bit quicker once I recover from this race. But now I am stepping up to 13.1 miles. My longest run is 12 miles, so I know I can do the longer distance, but judging the pace will be interesting.

Great stuff! That's a fantastic time! Congratulations - now go celebrate!

Got my 6 on Friday. Weekends are usually off

IMG_0462.png

I did some interval work on Saturday. Usually my wife and I meet up with our running friend on Sunday mornings for a long run. However, she was unable to make it this weekend, so we will meet tomorrow evening for a "long" run. Instead, my wife and I did a 10 mile hike.

Sunday - 6-mile run, Monday (today) off. Five-mile tempo run tomorrow. I am heading into a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday running schedule as I find fewer days equal better recovery and running faster. I will likely add a Wednesday run to my training load during the third week of a training block before a recovery week and my last hard week before I taper to the half-marathon. I have experienced "super compensation" from focused extra intensity and frequency. Still, as I get older, I am learning that it is essential to be careful about not adding too much. My last two runs at an easy pace were ~9:30/mile pace, which is faster than I was running before my previous race. Taking a whole week off from exercise after a hard event and focusing on eating and good sleep lets the race load become better fitness. While it would be a big gain, I am working to run the half marathon at 9 minutes/mile.

Top Bottom