What's new

Race To The Finish PIF! Win a Dans Black Arkansas Oilstone or a Belgian Coticule!

I would like to thank everyone that posted in the thread for the friendly banter and the help. And most of all I would like to thank David for hosting the PIF.

Can standard balsa wood be used or is it something special? Thicker or what?
Jerry,

I bought a piece of 1/4" x 4" x 36" balsa wood from Hobby Lobby. That was the thickest they had, I'm going to find something to use as a substrate for it, a piece of tile, marble or glass.

[MENTION=110732]HazMat Shaver[/MENTION] you should lap the balsa first though. Just place some wet/dry paper on a flat tile and rub the wood against it. Do this after the Balsa has had some time to dry, or you will end up with a concave/convex strop.

[MENTION=109827]SirChangalot[/MENTION], I found fine sandpaper in the auto parts store, they have 220 thru about 3k

Oh wow! I'm so excited! I do recall the last time a moderator came in and deleted all the posts under 6 words though, which would put this back a little ways, so it doesn't hurt to keep posting guys.

Just claim your prize and run man!!! :w00t: :thumbup1:

[MENTION=110732]HazMat Shaver[/MENTION] you should lap the balsa first though. Just place some wet/dry paper on a flat tile and rub the wood against it. Do this after the Balsa has had some time to dry, or you will end up with a concave/convex strop.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Ill check into it and look up some info on the web.

You lucky old dog! Good luck learning how to use the stone. BTW which stone will you choose? (Sorry if you have already posted this)
Have you checked out Davids youtube channel? Many good tips to be had.

I have checked out his YT channel, and you are absolutely correct there. I have a Coticule bout that I'm still learning the ins and outs of, and I'm afraid that if I got another Coti it would start an avalanche of Belgian stones that would eventually bury me lol. I've had my heart set on an Arkie for a little while, so that's the one I'd go with.

I have checked out his YT channel, and you are absolutely correct there. I have a Coticule bout that I'm still learning the ins and outs of, and I'm afraid that if I got another Coti it would start an avalanche of Belgian stones that would eventually bury me lol. I've had my heart set on an Arkie for a little while, so that's the one I'd go with.
Good choice! Now you only need a Thüringer :lol:

Top Bottom