What's new

Professor Flanders's Journal of Nerdy Observations and silly camaraderie

Not shaving related, but here is what I was up to this evening

IMG_3985.jpeg

IMG_3984.jpeg

IMG_3983.jpeg

Not shown is my vacuum sealer for the bags. I cooked this medium rare while I sautéed vegetables in a large pan and then added the meat out of the bag for the last 3 minutes or so. I know this is alien technology to most people so I thought I would at least share pictures. I wish I had gotten a picture of the inside of the meat because it is cooked under vacuum effectively and the inside remains bright red regardless of doneness; I am guessing this is due to lack of oxygen to turn the meat brown.

What's with the ping pong balls?

I for one wouldn't want to be chasing after them all over the kitchen!
Believe it or not, I didn't at first, they insulate and prevent evaporation during long cook times. I am hoping to keep them contained by drying them in a colander and immediately storing them back in the big container. Some people use a mesh bag which I might consider in the future. Strangely enough, the thing is running in the pictures and the balls aren't going anywhere!
(it's only at 52° C)

For my inaugural post, I am going to do a brain dump of everything I just observed using a scale while using my Wald A1 brush.

TLDR: you don't have to use these methods when shaving, just see if anything is useful and enjoy your shaves! Try keeping your brush drier and loading with more water than you are used to and see how it goes. I would measure the first time and then find some vessel that holds the correct amount of water. You still need to be careful with the water additions so you don't have it running out the knot and down the handle.

It has been observed that, for a synthetic fibre, these knots are slow to dry due to moisture being retained in the knot. As it turns out, this is both true and false; they are actually sufficiently quick drying, but the moisture is deep in the knot! Unfortunately for the reader, this is going to require an explanation from the beginning.

What I have taken to doing with most of my brushes lately, especially synthetic, is use my spray bottle to put a layer of water on top of my soap and load the brush dry. My spray bottle dispenses exactly 1g of aerosolised dihydromonoxide(the premium chemical to ensure perfect lather). This method controls all water being added to a dry brush, but requires some experimentation to find the right amount to start with. What this is intended to do is prevent water from getting deep inside the knot, for several reasons.

What happened in the case of the Wald A1 this morning is exactly what I had hoped, it did prevent the water from getting in, continue past some extraneous details to find out how I know for sure. I sprayed 3g of my precious lab grade dihydromonoxide onto my GD soap and loaded my brush until the surface was thoroughly dry. I had loaded 1.2g of aromatic goodness, perfect. As I built the lather on my face, I added a total of 12g water(1:10 ratio). This produced a very thick, but well hydrated lather. Thick enough to slightly stick to my razor, but noticeably slick. I know, from past observation, that I can go a ways further, but I am enjoying this new to me ultra dense lather.

The interesting part came when I finished my shave and squeezed out as much as I could before rinsing. I still had a full pass that had to go down the drain so I didn't skimp on the loading phase. What was interesting is, upon putting it on the scale, the brush was only holding a couple grams of moisture because the inside hasn't been wetted yet! Wait a minute, here it comes, I rinsed the brush out thoroughly and squeezed it again... 5 full grams of moisture now! After shaking it, it was back to just above the expected 3g which is still more than when I squeezed it after shaving(before rinsing). Further, the tips were actually only holding a fraction of a gram and the towel took care of that. I think that should be a clear demonstration that the knot wasn't retaining water deep inside while shaving, but did after rinsing. This is such a fascinating knot for me to use!

Some interesting further observations; the A1 knot is acting as an air pump to create this magical unicorn lather, I am not kidding! In the early stages of face lathering, I heard and felt little puffs of air coming out of the knot. But it doesn't produce big foamy bubbles, it somehow bypasses this potential problem altogether and pumps up the density instead. You basically just keep adding water until you like the slickness, this is partially a characteristic of this soap(thirsty). I suppose you could keep going until it gets thin and runny, but why bother when it's already slick?
Fascinating stuff. Will need to try this!

Have you done any similar types of analysis with different types of badger brushes?

It would be great to be able to apply some form of scientific method to wetting and loading 2 and 3-band badger brushes, taking into account density, ring size, loft, etc.

Man, this has got to be the most complicated thread on Badger & Blade!

I came here looking for shiny shiny's, instead I squint my eyes reading through 9 pages of lather optimization and advanced beard mapping!

IMO, we all need to grow tougher skin and do 360 degree blade buffing. Our skins are not gonna get tough if we baby it everyday!
This thread is perfect reading at 2:35am. It gives my ideas for tomorrow's shave!

lasta

Blade Biter
This thread is perfect reading at 2:35am. It gives my ideas for tomorrow's shave!

Be careful about what you read on the internet!

Our professor here has since joined a cult. I wonder if his objectiveness and impartiality credentials are still redeemable with his former community!

I'm just stopping by to say that my job is done.

From lather optimization and distilling the essence of razor efficiency to consuming the leg of heretics, even the brightest of us can be dragged into the abyss.

View attachment 1775127

I am happy that you like to make us old farts laugh. As long as you remember, were your uncle, and fanny's your aunt. And I like to make the other gents laugh too, so it all works out. 😂

Oooooo, yes, I feel the excitement building, excellent! :devil: Yes, you will work for, and you will get a Blackbird Titanium. And once you have it in your hands, when someone tries to grab it from you to get a good look at it, your going to say, "MINE! Or I will help you not!" HAHA :lol:

You have no idea how excited I am for you to get this Blacckbird razor, pretty much as excited as I am about getting my new Osprey. Sometimes I wonder what to feed these birds, but I think he will enjoy Wizamet's. 😝
Trying different razors and blades is lots of fun. When I say "triying" I should clarify that by noting that to really try a razor properly, you need to give it a go with at least a half dozen blades (three shaves each blade, minimum), and to see how it does with both daily and less frequent mowing. If the razor is adjustable, you need to do all that across multiple settings. I'm not going to get into the impact that soaps, brushes, pre-shaves, colognes, balms, scuttles, and other things one purchases and tries to hide from one's spouse (because divorce would suck) has on the overall testing experience.

Until, of course, you find "The One"

If, after some highly subjective amount of time you don't find The One, you move on because life is too short and you don't want to spend an entire year trying just one razor.

For me, the Blackbird TI OC with a Wizamet blade is The One.

At least, so far...

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Believe it or not, I didn't at first, they insulate and prevent evaporation during long cook times. I am hoping to keep them contained by drying them in a colander and immediately storing them back in the big container. Some people use a mesh bag which I might consider in the future. Strangely enough, the thing is running in the pictures and the balls aren't going anywhere!
(it's only at 52° C)
All my Sous Vide tubs have plastic covers with a cutout for the immersion heater... Works like a champ... I was about to call out either Bingo.. or the winning lottery numbers when I saw yours. <eg>

Have you done any similar types of analysis with different types of badger brushes?
This is ongoing and a theme I keep returning to, but it’s much more difficult due to natural hair’s characteristics.

Oh, I see you have been reading and left several comments… welcome! Things get a bit weird around here occasionally and not everybody sticks around, but eventually we get back on track with something new or ongoing. The regulars are people I have known on here for some time so things get a bit… informal. :laugh:

Great thread. Up to page 12. 38 to go.
I applaud you, you brave man! Welcome to his insane thoughts and logics! I usually make myself comfortable, have a cup of coffee, and try my best to comprehend his sometimes crazy and illogical thoughts especially when he is drunk writing!

Top Bottom