What's new

Professor Flanders's Journal of Nerdy Observations and silly camaraderie

I have a sous vide and a Concept 2, as well as a bad back that improper form on the Concept 2 jacked up. Both sit unused. The sous vide took too long to cook on weekdays for me, which is why I purchased it. I need to get back on the Concept 2 and follow proper from, I am far away from my working out days. There's a guy on YouTube who has a series of videos called "Sous Vide anything" and he does cook tons of things with the Sous Vide, and makes some funky butter concoctions.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a sous vide and a Concept 2, as well as a bad back that improper form on the Concept 2 jacked up. Both sit unused. The sous vide took too long to cook on weekdays for me, which is why I purchased it. I need to get back on the Concept 2 and follow proper from, I am far away from my working out days. There's a guy on YouTube who has a series of videos called "Sous Vide anything" and he does cook tons of things with the Sous Vide, and makes some funky butter concoctions.
You might already know this guy and his videos but I learned how to row properly from him:

We watch the Sous Vide Everything guy.... but I still mostly do steaks. I've tried fish but my wife does a better job with pan searing. I slow cook brisket, ribs, etc. on our Big Green Egg, though I've been working and/or helping my wife take care of our newish granddaughter on my off days.... not much time for an 8 hour brisket slow roast or a 5 to 6 hour pork shoulder roast for pulled pork. <eg>

We watch the Sous Vide Everything guy.... but I still mostly do steaks. I've tried fish but my wife does a better job with pan searing. I slow cook brisket, ribs, etc. on our Big Green Egg, though I've been working and/or helping my wife take care of our newish granddaughter on my off days.... not much time for an 8 hour brisket slow roast or a 5 to 6 hour pork shoulder roast for pulled pork. <eg>
It's interesting how many of us have the same hobbies, I too have a BGE, and many other smokers. I have guitars but my proficiency isn't that great, practice is what I need. I've watched Training Tall and Darkhorse also. Both are good for proper form, I just need to get there and do it.

Last edited:
It's interesting how many of us have the same hobbies, I too have a BGE, and many other smokers. I have guitars but my proficiency isn't that great, practice is what I need. I've watched Training Tall and Darkhorse also. Both are good for proper form, I just need to get there and do it.
No guitars for me, as I am musically disinclined, but I do have a KJ classic and KJ junior!!

Well, it's not shaving related, but I fell off the wagon again! I went down a rabbit hole that ended with me buying a sous vide stick. I was going to buy the fancy Breville one because of it's Turbo mode and 1100W output, I ended up with one with 1200W, similar size and more basic touch controls instead of the app based interface for... $80+ less! Of course I went and ordered a big Cambro container to "cook" in. Oh and I am going to go pick up a Bernzomatic for finishing next week. I am pretty much switching to cooking meat in a bag completely and will limit the amount of finishing to the bare minimum that I can tolerate. If I can get my smoker repaired, I will probably low heat smoke the meats before putting them in the bag otherwise, I guess I will have to get some liquid smoke. A few people here will figure out what is going on in my head, others won't be at all surprised! 😆

Almost forgot, my FPR pen shipped with a crack that they missed. It turns out to be mostly cosmetic, but they are sending me another pen! At least that is what they said so I went ahead and ordered the Ultra Flex nib unit for my Monteverde Ritma that I was going to buy eventually. Eventually turned out to be sooner than expected since they handled this properly(I hope). I got a nice discount codea also that I am holding onto for ordering a gold nib pen from them when I figure out which nib I prefer. They even threw in a free cheapie pen that is pretty bad, but I am using it. It works like a dip pen: you shake it to throw ink through the feed onto a paper towel then dip the tip in the puddle... it eventually keeps writing on its own... sometimes!

I almost bought a very expensive piece of exercise equipment, almost might be past tense too. I am quite tempted by the financing offer that I got. I never pictured myself buying such a thing, but I haven't been able to get back on my bicycle in some time and frankly, I don't have anywhere safe to do so right now. Especially after getting home late.

#weird things going on in my head this weekend

Took me a while to catch up on your journal, forgive me! I also want to guilt you that i gave up eating lunch to read your thread!

I must ask do you own an iphone or android?

Took me a while to catch up on your journal, forgive me! I also want to guilt you that i gave up eating lunch to read your thread!

I must ask do you own an iphone or android?
I am honored that you have chosen entertainment over nourishment, but my journal has been running on fumes for the last couple months now! If I had been updating more regularly, there would be known chance of keeping up. I am still desperately trying to get caught up on several journals myself. :devil:

iPhone here

We bought a Concept 2 rowing machine right before Covid hit and I used it faithfully until I started back to work, delivering food. I do around 20 deliveries a day so walking to and from the restaurants, then making the deliveries, sometimes up two or three flights of stairs, seems to have curtailed the rows. I never park illegally in the fire zones in front of the food establishments. I’d rather get the exercise.

I do miss rowing. It’s a fun exercise for me. I’m sure I’ll get back to it at some point.

The wife and I have that same machine. I do a bit of free weights in the basement but nothing extreme since my job is pretty physical. The wife likes to walk outside or do yoga, aerobics or rowing upstairs. When cold weather hits and she can't walk outside she goes crazy on the Concept. I swear she rows that thing to England and back over the winter.

I'm planning to finally retire in a couple months so likely the Concept 2 and I will become best of mates then.

Bummer, read thru Uncle Chris advice for you to get a fitness tracker and I got a spare Pixel Watch 2.
Oh! That’s really thoughtful, thanks. I have thought about getting a Garmin, I think they are compatible, but I am not sure how much I would use it anyway. I decided against an Apple Watch, it’s too much of everything. My automatic mechanical watch cost more than any of these so I am not suffering!

Bummer

I am only on shave 6 with a Personna 74 and it is already getting nasty! I have been having some easy shaves this last week, I also used it earlier in the week. My face should be in great shape and even after this shave it still feels like it is, but it felt sharp and rough. Not a good combination. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it just now finished with the coating shedding phase, this reminds me of a Black Ninja. Those only give me a couple shaves before they shed for me so 6 isn’t bad, but these aren’t cheap. This blade may now be too much in the Blackbird, maybe I should try a different razor? I am using my Ti Bird not the stainless so this should be gentler. This is still a really special blade with how tenaciously it grabs every single hair, it really behaves more like an AC blade!

This is still a really special blade with how tenaciously it grabs every single hair, it really behaves more like an AC blade!
IMG_7779.jpeg

I mean they are $6 per blade so I am not sure what more I can say, also you have to hunt for them yourself. I am impressed that Corey got to 20 before getting bored, I had intended to do the same, but the first four shaves were absolutely unreal. I was going to wright a whole post about blades that behave like these do, but never got around to it. This shave was a reminder that I am not a sharp blade shaver and this blade's capability is lost on me; I am not alone as I already read reviews stating that these were rough shaving blades(without specifying when). I did get my first perfect shave of the year when I first opened this blade a couple months ago; if I was living in 1972 I might be convinced to use these two times and bin them! My second perfect shave occurred just a couple weeks ago with a Feather Pro Super blade in my Colonial General, so there is the tie in with AC.

lasta

Blade Biter
I mean they are $6 per blade so I am not sure what more I can say, also you have to hunt for them yourself. I am impressed that Corey got to 20 before getting bored, I had intended to do the same, but the first four shaves were absolutely unreal. I was going to wright a whole post about blades that behave like these do, but never got around to it. This shave was a reminder that I am not a sharp blade shaver and this blade's capability is lost on me; I am not alone as I already read reviews stating that these were rough shaving blades(without specifying when). I did get my first perfect shave of the year when I first opened this blade a couple months ago; if I was living in 1972 I might be convinced to use these two times and bin them! My second perfect shave occurred just a couple weeks ago with a Feather Pro Super blade in my Colonial General, so there is the tie in with AC.
Just like wine, there are different tastes on which part of shaving is enjoyable.

Personally, I LOVE the crisp almost splicing feel of sharper blades. But they can feel rough with aggressive racks!

If I remember correctly, all your razors are on the aggressive end.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm still in the hunt for a Colonial General V2........... One will pop up one of these months.

I'm still in the hunt for a Colonial General V2........... One will pop up one of these months.
It has kept me from buying a Vector for the last three years I believe. Now that the Le Faulx is out, I have decided it will be my next AC razor a couple months ago. My budgeting department still hasn’t cleared the purchase yet and I am strangely relieved to be at an impasse! No new AC razors and no suffering with what I have. Good luck finding one, I have certainly had inquiries.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It has kept me from buying a Vector for the last three years I believe. Now that the Le Faulx is out, I have decided it will be my next AC razor a couple months ago. My budgeting department still hasn’t cleared the purchase yet and I am strangely relieved to be at an impasse! No new AC razors and no suffering with what I have. Good luck finding one, I have certainly had inquiries.
There was a polished General V2 on BST quite a few months ago now... I should have pounced on that one.

I mean they are $6 per blade so I am not sure what more I can say, also you have to hunt for them yourself. I am impressed that Corey got to 20 before getting bored, I had intended to do the same, but the first four shaves were absolutely unreal.
It was close to 30 shaves with it before I binned the Personna 74, it was looking pretty beaten up by the last shave.

I guess I won the blade lottery, the person who selected the few blades PIF'ed to me is such an Angel!

Top Bottom