What's new

Professor Flanders's Journal of Nerdy Observations and silly camaraderie

For me, when things get tough I quite. I am a quitter and I have never really been ashamed to walk away from things that I don't want to do, but I probably should have been. I always find a way to do things I want to do at the expense of long term planning. Right now, I am making a very big push that will secure the long term for me so I can get back doing whatever makes me happy! It's a different way of thinking about things than I have always done, but I am slowly convincing myself to go along with it(lol). What I won't do is muddle along with something that has no benefit other than pay the bills nor miss out on doing things until I am older. I have done the alternatives and if things weren't so expensive now, I would have never had any motivation to pursue something worthwhile. Everything has a silver lining, almost everything.
i like the perspective, but "quitting" has a pejorative aspect to it,which I don't think applies in all cases.

When I was younger, my parents were big believers in "finish what you started". I tried the violin, but after a month of practicing, I hated it. My parents made me finish the year. What did I learn? Don't try new things without first making sure I had an exit strategy if I didn't like what I was trying. Great life lesson, though not the one my parents were trying to instill in me.

Furthermore, and to your point about time management, the older I get the more I value my time. I simply refuse to coast through life on autopilot, potentially doing stuff of little value or interst. Everything goes into my calendar and everything in that calendar is considered in the context of opportunity cost. I may not like what I am doing each and every minute, but I am fully accountable for the decisions on how I allocate what time I have.

Thus little LOA has been interesting in that I happen to have about 8 hours available to me that will disappear when I return to work. I try to purposefully manage how I use that time. My decision to do errands and write while lying in bed this morning was a conscious one. I needed to ease back on the rehab a bit, but wanted to get stuff done. I am also enjoying getting an opportunity to write for pleasure (something I don't normally prioritize), and put that in my morning schedule.

It sounds like this is similar to what you are trying to do, and I hope you get the opportunity to prioritize more pleasurable tasks soon.

i like the perspective, but "quitting" has a pejorative aspect to it,which I don't think applies in all cases.
Since it's my journal, I felt like being honest. There is was nothing positive about my attitude, but I am looking at it in the rear view mirror and learning why it wasn't the best course of action. It's a lot easier to just say no to everything you don't want to do rather than think things through and coming up with a plan. I had a very large obligation removed recently that consumed all of my time or at least my mental energy when it wasn't requiring my immediate attention, I am slowly learning how to do things purely for myself again. Some things I used to enjoy are off the table now, but some things are now possible that weren't for the last ten years. This is probably too many words.

It sounds like this is similar to what you are trying to do, and I hope you get the opportunity to prioritize more pleasurable tasks soon.
Thank you. My job is enviable, but the lifestyle is not. I am determined to get back on the bicycle, but I have to reduce the risk to a negligible level(other people, not me having an off). I am required to report anything medical and that would probably include a car on bike crash(morbid humour).

Since it's my journal, I felt like being honest. There is was nothing positive about my attitude, but I am looking at it in the rear view mirror and learning why it wasn't the best course of action. It's a lot easier to just say no to everything you don't want to do rather than think things through and coming up with a plan. I had a very large obligation removed recently that consumed all of my time or at least my mental energy when it wasn't requiring my immediate attention, I am slowly learning how to do things purely for myself again. Some things I used to enjoy are off the table now, but some things are now possible that weren't for the last ten years. This is probably too many words.

Thank you. My job is enviable, but the lifestyle is not. I am determined to get back on the bicycle, but I have to reduce the risk to a negligible level(other people, not me having an off). I am required to report anything medical and that would probably include a car on bike crash(morbid humour).
I am glad you are past the worst of it and hope you can climb back on the bicycle soon.

New week, new opportunity

Yesterday, I had the rare opportunity to decide exactly what I wanted to shave with for this week(M-F) and I made up my mind: my Aylsworth Drakkant, a Nacet blade and my Copper Vein Wald A1. That's going to be it for five days, but I am going to change up the soap and AS everyday.

I was actually excited about shaving yesterday as I had gotten up to the house and finally remembered to pick up my SV Felce soap/splash set! I love my Tundra Acrtica, but I have been using it for months and with the arrival of spring I felt this was the right time to switch. I am sure nobody cares, but I don't keep all of my SV soaps out to be used year round, I rotate through roughly based on season. Unfortunately, Cosmo hasn't seen much use this year; I like it, but I like Tundra Arctica more. Desert Vetiver is another one that I do like, but it causes some olfactory fatigue so I don't keep it in rotation very long(couple months). It was interesting to read that I am not the only one; in fact I hadn't figured out what it was that was bothering me about it until somebody else posted this.

Yesterday, I caught a whiff of Felce and was actually transported into the zen shaving zone. I had to make up my mind what else I was going to use and is mentioned above I did without much thought involved. After going back and forth between The General and my Ti Bird last week, I wanted to give my face a bit of a break and the Aylsworth was on deck anyway. The Nacet was a no-brainer as I only have a few blades that work well in that razor. The Wald A1 seemed like a good choice since I have been using my new Wald Delphi so much lately that I needed to get back to the OG.

Even after sitting for six months, it only took the briefest amount of blooming time with hot water to revive my SV soap; it exploded with lather when used with the Wald! This knot holds so much water and soap, it's really something. I was swirling and painting like a fool for several minutes, adding more and more water, until I had YouTube worthy face coating. I had already accepted, by choosing the Aylworth, that I was going to have to go back to 2.5 pass shaves and as soon as I began my shave, I knew this was going to be enjoyable. The Nacet was a little bit prickly, which surprised me partly because this razor has such little blade feel. The blade wasn't defective and didn't mangle my face so it's all good. I have been having a problem with my left jaw for a couple weeks; it seems like the skin is really thin and any shaving scratches it up. It's like when you fall off your bike and skin your knee, but much less bad, just a scrapped look with minimal blood loss. I also caught something within my goatee area which always annoys me when it happens as there is never any visual clue. As this razor is particularly angle sensitive, I paid attention and made sure I kept it where it needs to be. I managed some kind of DFS, but I don't particularly care about that; my face was smooth enough and I was feeling happy upon applying the AS. Total time about 25 minutes, pretty normal for me.

Today was largely the same as yesterday, a different soap and splash this time: Aion(GD) Vetiver. As I am getting to the end of the month here, this was is due to be rotated out as well, but I am having a hard time with that as I enjoy it a lot. This new bas still continues to be more trouble to lather than last years releases which I know Mo would not be happy to read so I don't mention it often. The results are amazing, once you get it there. The Wald did seem to be easier than the badgers which I usually use; the knot gets really dry after loading the soap and I found that the water retention of the badgers helped, but I have enough experience now that I can get through this dry phase. The shave was as close to identical to yesterday's as I can imagine and that's a very good thing for me! The jaw line got roughed up again; I am suspecting something more is going on like ingrown hairs maybe. I got a tiny pin prikc where I bumped a bump on my throat ever so slightly, no big deal. The Nacet feels the same as yesterday; I appreciate that these blades don't change character from one shave to the next for me. Same DFS, same time in washroom. I am tentatively back to enjoying my shaves!

I probably won't bother posting any more shaves this week, but I had wished I could have posted a SOTD picture with this post. Maybe I will get one up with a brief shave summary tomorrow or Friday. Happy shaves everybody!

Addendum: Aaron didn't realise that his week at home actually started on Tuesday and is referring to that day as Monday

Time for a New/Old topic?

I've been having an offline conversation about this: how many folks are gravitating back toward milder razors, and if so, what are your observations and how did you arrive at this point?

We all know about the paradox of mild razors - that in many cases, they require more passes and ultimately result in more irritation. They have a narrower operating window, and when you shave outside that angle, efficiency drops off dramatically. This would tend to "support" the "lower efficiency" / more passes argument.

I plan on returning to observing this, most likely with the first two razors in my quiver, which consists of:
  • an AL 13+
  • a Gamechanger with .68-P, .76-P and .84-P base plates
  • 2 Overlanders (brass, s-s)
  • an Athena
My goal is twofold: to thin the herd (mostly by selling the Athena). I might as well keep the .84-P base plate, for all that it's worth on BST.

What drove this question is my recent re-visit with my AL 13+. I was surprised at how close a shave I got with minimal passes.

My thoughts are that this may well be due to my gaining better sensitivity to my shaving angle since last visiting it.

So, perhaps we have two equally viable solutions as one's skills develop:
  1. a return to mild (low gap/low exposure)
  2. the Blackbird approach
We know that with #2, the penalty can be severe for the uninitiated. A sub-topic of course, is matching blades, and as @APBinNCA has noted, he favors milder blades for his high-E/high gap razors.

What say ye?

... Thom

An approach I've gravitated to over the years is to ask myself what exactly I expect to learn (or otherwise benefit) from a project. It's easy (in the quest for knowledge) to lose site of this.

Possibilities are infinite and for the curious, you won't accomplish everything you want to in 10 lifetimes. Choices have to be made - sooner or later.

It's served me well to ask this question and to give myself permission to "quit" on a project. There's no shame in this.

... Thom

Time for a New/Old topic?

I've been having an offline conversation about this: how many folks are gravitating back toward milder razors, and if so, what are your observations and how did you arrive at this point?

We all know about the paradox of mild razors - that in many cases, they require more passes and ultimately result in more irritation. They have a narrower operating window, and when you shave outside that angle, efficiency drops off dramatically. This would tend to "support" the "lower efficiency" / more passes argument.

I plan on returning to observing this, most likely with the first two razors in my quiver, which consists of:
  • an AL 13+
  • a Gamechanger with .68-P, .76-P and .84-P base plates
  • 2 Overlanders (brass, s-s)
  • an Athena
My goal is twofold: to thin the herd (mostly by selling the Athena). I might as well keep the .84-P base plate, for all that it's worth on BST.

What drove this question is my recent re-visit with my AL 13+. I was surprised at how close a shave I got with minimal passes.

My thoughts are that this may well be due to my gaining better sensitivity to my shaving angle since last visiting it.

So, perhaps we have two equally viable solutions as one's skills develop:
  1. a return to mild (low gap/low exposure)
  2. the Blackbird approach
We know that with #2, the penalty can be severe for the uninitiated. A sub-topic of course, is matching blades, and as @APBinNCA has noted, he favors milder blades for his high-E/high gap razors.

What say ye?

... Thom
I wouldn't say I've gravitated towards milder razors but have recently ended up there accidentally. I've had a few razors lately that weren't what I expected. Typically mild for me yields "not enough" efficiency. But I'm seeing that some new razors have evolved to have both characteristics (mild & very efficient) in the same package. I'm liking this!
But..
I also have days that I want to feel that blade. So it's a mood thing for me as well!!
i.e., I have a Merkur Futur arriving today!:oops:

I wouldn't say I've gravitated towards milder razors but have recently ended up there accidentally. I've had a few razors lately that weren't what I expected. Typically mild for me yields "not enough" efficiency. But I'm seeing that some new razors have evolved to have both characteristics (mild & very efficient) in the same package. I'm liking this!
But..
I also have days that I want to feel that blade. So it's a mood thing for me as well!!
i.e., I have a Merkur Futur arriving today!:oops:
Interesting timing for this post. I have been using a super slant 2++ for the past few shaves. Tried a Wizamet (not efficient enough) and a 7'oclock Black (too aggressive). I switched got the 1++ plate with the 7'oclock black and had a fantastic shave.

Thank you for starting this conversation. We have had this discussion elsewhere more sporadically, Mr. Shavington was at the forefront of this(both actually and posting about it). There really are different considerations for why a milder razor may or may not work for one person or another, it's not just loss of efficiency. Mr. Shavington feels that as the person gains more experience, they will gravitate toward milder razors as their technique will be sufficient to use them; I have other opinions about this. Or I just have lousy technique and am still using aggressive razors as a crutch, who knows? I have been using my milder razors more this year, but my opinions about them haven't changed; they are still useful when my face is a mess and I am willing to tolerate a lower grade of shave. I probably have a lot more to say about this, but my brain is fried today and I am only responding out of a sense of obligation(my journal).

I wouldn't say I've gravitated towards milder razors but have recently ended up there accidentally. I've had a few razors lately that weren't what I expected.
You certainly have had some interesting razors! I think you have a nice variety even if you kind of ended up there accidentally.

Interesting timing for this post. I have been using a super slant 2++ for the past few shaves. Tried a Wizamet (not efficient enough) and a 7'oclock Black (too aggressive). I switched got the 1++ plate with the 7'oclock black and had a fantastic shave.
That's good to hear and I am sorry that I am not caught up on your journal yet. Those Black Ninjas are really something, but they can also become too much so be careful how many shaves you try to extract. I am a bit surprised about the other combination as I would have thought it just right. I do wonder if there is something else at play with the 2 plate, but both being ++ plates I would have thought they both would have had similar characteristics. I know with some other IB razors, the step down plates aren't everybody's favourite and they don't necessarily produce a closer shave(probably a wider range of angles).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had always considered all my razors to be mild but I think it was @spacemonkey42 who said they tend towards the medium range. I don’t really know as as you pointed out some time back, Aaron, they are all pretty close to each other in efficiency.

I now say they are in the upper mild to lower medium range but I don’t know if that is accurate or not.

The only one I feel is even slightly aggressive would be the little Knockout razor I picked up a few months ago. It also may be the only with any significant blade feel.

I’m not convinced my technique is any thing special but it works for my face and whiskers.

I had always considered all my razors to be mild but I think it was @spacemonkey42 who said they tend towards the medium range. I don’t really know as as you pointed out some time back, Aaron, they are all pretty close to each other in efficiency.

Yup, that was me. There isn't an absolute scale for razors, everyone has their own calibration. However, I'd posit that folks here have a different scale than most and tend to under-rate how aggressive a razor is. Regardless, it shouldn't be surprising that your chosen razors are in a similar range, they suit you.

I'm honing in on a range that works for me, from an Overlander/Henson medium on one end to a Le Maurice/Athena/Ares/Henson aggressive on the other. I'm fairly certain I don't need anything more aggressive than those. I am not sure if in the future, if my technique further develops, if I might expand on the milder end.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yup, that was me. There isn't an absolute scale for razors, everyone has their own calibration. However, I'd posit that folks here have a different scale than most and tend to under-rate how aggressive a razor is. Regardless, it shouldn't be surprising that your chosen razors are in a similar range, they suit you.
Early on, I was calling my first razor, the Claymore Evolution, mild but efficient, as that was how Brian Mulreany described it. I was taken to task for it. I had no frame of reference. I still don’t. I developed my own efficiency scale based on that razor. The razors I’ve added since then are what I call a half a step up from there, but I still don’t know if that is remotely accurate.

Unless I have razors in common with someone, I have no idea what terms to use, unfortunately. I see the Athena as a mild razor, but for lots of people, it’s way more efficient than they need. I have been tempted to try the Overlander again and/or buy a Henson so I can experience for myself why people love them so much. But as you said, @spacemonkey42 , they would probably be too mild for me, so I haven’t pursued them.

I think it turns out, like parenting, shaving isn’t an exact science. That might be the most surprising discovery I’ve made here. There really is a valid reason we see YMMV posted so often.

Thank you for starting this conversation. We have had this discussion elsewhere more sporadically, Mr. Shavington was at the forefront of this(both actually and posting about it). There really are different considerations for why a milder razor may or may not work for one person or another, it's not just loss of efficiency. Mr. Shavington feels that as the person gains more experience, they will gravitate toward milder razors as their technique will be sufficient to use them; I have other opinions about this. Or I just have lousy technique and am still using aggressive razors as a crutch, who knows? I have been using my milder razors more this year, but my opinions about them haven't changed; they are still useful when my face is a mess and I am willing to tolerate a lower grade of shave. I probably have a lot more to say about this, but my brain is fried today and I am only responding out of a sense of obligation(my journal).
I was a bit lazy in searching out any existing threads on the topic, and @spacemonkey42 pointed me toward a couple threads.

For the most part, the posts were of the format: "I started with this, moved to that, and now I'm over here". I caught a few salient posts however, including one from @thombrogan and @Mr. Shavington. I've been gravitating toward @Mr. Shavinton's theory, but more research needs to be done.

My first inclination was to post over here, as you've created a sandbox for all of the BOSCs to play in, and in retrospect, I'm glad I did. The lunatic fringe (I like that
:c2:
) has a higher concentration of folks who are inclined to investigate root causes that our preferences are grounded in.

I'm likely a month or so out from giving my GC .68-P and AL 13+ some serious attention, as I'm in the midst of working through some blades. The blade survey will be with my Overlanders and Athena. I want to decide once and for all whether the Athena is a keeper for me. I'm leaning toward "no" but I'm in no way certain about this.

My brief visits with both the Henson & GC did however pique my curiosity on the topic, and I'll report back with any observations.

... Thom

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
what are your observations and how did you arrive at this point?

My shaves were “blade forward” and I stopped having comfy shaves, but the real change was Wifey noticing my scrapey face and dots of blood on my pillowcase.

Improved technique would be all that’s needed, but switching to different garbage in my hoard has helped me shift gears without too much conscious thought during the shave (I only obsess between shaves).

What say ye?

A razor that lets the blade lie flatter against the skin; mild, aggressive, or otherwise; seems to be good for my skin sometimes.

I've tried a few aggressive razors, but none of them really took for me, so I can’t say I've gravitated back to mild since I never really left to begin with. I do like the Henson aggressive, and I liked Le Maurice when I tried it in a pass-around up to the 1.4mm gap (the largest that was available), but that’s about as aggressive as I go, and I don't think either is really considered aggressive (despite the "aggressive" in the Henson's name 🙂).

Mr. Shavington feels that as the person gains more experience, they will gravitate toward milder razors as their technique will be sufficient to use them; I have other opinions about this. Or I just have lousy technique and am still using aggressive razors as a crutch, who knows?
Both mild and aggressive razors I think take skill and technique in their own way. To get a close shave with a mild razor, you have to be consistent with your shave angle; to avoid filleting your face with an aggressive razor, you have to be near-perfect with your touch and skin stretching.

I must be at least decent at keeping my angle since I can get near-BBS with 2 passes using some razors at the very mildest end of the spectrum (Henson mild, Tatara Masamune). And I’ve never had a problem with nicks from the few high-gap razors I’ve tried (Le Maurice 1.4). But a light touch still eludes me, as I still often get tiny weepers even with those mildest razors, and razors with higher exposure range from not good (Tatara Nodachi) to completely unusable for me (Blackbird).

If I can get such a close shave with a mild razor, though, I have little to gain by going more aggressive.

Top Bottom