What's new

Processing RAW

Do you need both Photoshop and light room to process RAW files? What is the advantage of the online monthly subscription version versus the standalone downloadable version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You most definitely do not need both sets of software to process RAW files. Whilst Photoshop is much more powerful as a processing tool, Lightroom stands out as a database/cataloguing tool. Depending on how deeply down the rabbit hole you already are, I would suggest that Lightroom on its own should probably be more than capable of meeting your needs (it is much more enjoyable to work on/with your photos if you have a system which allows you to find what you are looking for quickly and easily). With LR you will be able to make normal adjustments and optimise your files.

It was my understanding that Adobe were phasing out the idea of stand alone versions of these programs in favour of offering them as a package on the drip system. Perhaps that is a measure taken to combat the number of unregistered copies of PS which are in use out there.

Check any CDs that came with your camera, or go to the manufacturer's website. They should have a free program to adjust exposure, shadows, highlights etc. and the export out to jpeg or tiff formats.

The answer will depend upon what you want to do with your photography.

LR is a good cataloguing and developing program. In the develop module you can do a lot of editing, possibly as much as you may ever want to do. What LR lacks is the ability to work on layers, the selection and healing tools that are in Photoshop. If you want to remove items from the picture or to paste into the picture, LR is not sufficient. Photoshop Elements will give you a lot of the tools, less the cost of the full Photoshop package.

With respect to stand alone or cloud, the cost and need to upgrade are likely the determining factors. A year's subscription to the cloud will pay for the stand alone copy of LR, however you receive the upgrades that the stand alone copy does not get and you have Photoshop. There is a learning curve for Photoshop

My own experience was that I did not use Photoshop enough to justify the monthly fee for the cloud. I tried it for a year. I was able to purchase a copy of LR when it was on sale. I have also purchased a copy of Corel Paintshop Ultra X9 (it was on special for about $30) and am learning how to use it for photographic art. Maybe if I get good enough using Paintshop, I'll rethink Photoshop.

Corel Paintshop also gives you the ability to work with RAW images and edit them. It provides non destructive editing. It is possible that if I had not already purchased and started using LR, Corel Paintshop may have been all I needed. It is certainly a lot less expensive.

Legion

Staff member
I get photoshop and lightroom bundled together with my subscription. I use photoshop almost exclusivly, and very rarely lightroom.

But that is just how my workflow is. I still process images like I was in a darkroom, one at a time, finish it, save it, move on to the next one.

If I was shooting weddings, for example, and needed to do a lot of batch processing (Make global changes, add a watermark and copyright metadata, size them all the same, file them in certain ways, etc) then lightroom is a better tool for that, IMO.

Must admit that 99.9% of all my photography work is done within Lightroom, can't remember the last time I went into Photoshop.

It really depends on what you want to do.

For me, I find that I can organise, process and adjust all of my photos without leaving LR, as I can interact with all my RAW files and change on the fly.

If you need to do significant editing, then Photoshop is the go, but for my post processing LR fits the bill.

Hope it helps.

Just came across this. For a limited time Corel PaintShop Ultra X9 can be purchased for 24.99. This is a great price for a RAW processor with layer editing capability. Especially for anyone just starting out.

As I said earlier I prefer LR, but mainly because I'm used to it. PaintShop can be used from within LR for editing,

The link for this offer is;
Check Out the Latest PaintShop Pro Photo Editor

For some reason you can only open the link with Internet Explorer. Othe browsers take you to a page with a higher price.

DXO Optics is my RAW choice. If it supports your camera & lenses, it auto corrects aberrations, color, noise, etc. Cataloging I use ACDSee Ultimate, I really like its one click cataloging, and it has pretty powerful edit & develop functions too. Photoshop is used for any final tweaking, or if layer type editing is wanted.

If you just want free Photoshop capability look at Gimp.

I appreciate all the replies! We recently upgraded our laptop, my previous one had gotten to the point that it would barely run. I was running Lightzone open-source software, but I'm looking for more of a production software.

I'm beyond excited to be able to get back into photography.

I have been using Paintshop Pro for several versions and am on X9 now. Upgrades are cheap enough and I get good results. Powerful editing tools and not quite as complex as Photoshop. Still a bit of a learning curve but results come pretty quickly if you stay with it.

Top Bottom