What's new

Why does a $5 Lord L6 shave so well?

Recently started DE shaving and at the advice of a number of members, my first razor was a Tech. Not wanting to order the super blue version from China, I got an Indian market 7 O’clock Sterling version from a seller local to me.
Being my first razor, I had nothing to compare it to and had no idea if it was good or bad.

I then ordered a $5 Lord L6 (LP1822L) and was blown away at how much better it shaves than that Sterling Tech. It’s light years better, in every possible way.
Less picky about angle, less picky about blades, less grabby, more smooth WTG/ATG/XTG, less irritation afterwards, more efficient, etc.
It’s so smooth and intuitive that I feel like I couldn’t cut myself with it even if I tried.
I don’t know if maybe that Sterling Tech was a dud? Or maybe I’m using it wrong?
Surely the differences between them shouldn’t be so drastic?

Yes the Lord feels and looks cheap, but it shaves like a dream. (I’ve ordered 4 more to give to some of my buddies to try to get them into DE shaving).

In reading comments and reviews on it, it seems most everyone is in agreement that it provides a really nice shave.

What makes it such a good shaving razor? Clearly the magic isn’t in the materials or manufacturing process.

I see people say it’s based on the Merkur 34c, but a number of people say they don’t shave the same, and some even say the L6 shaves better.
Also, the blade gaps are notably different- 0.71 for the 34c, 1.09 for the Lord L6.

Is that 1.09 blade gap part of the reason it shaves so good?
I’m just trying to understand what makes a razor shave so well.

Yes, the gap is big enough to where a variety of blades work well in the L6. I don't have to use an ultra-sharp blade to receive an efficient shave like I must with my Tech.

Also IMO it is because the Lord L6's head has just enough weight in it so you don't feel like you have to press overly much. I would like some more to be honest to remove the temptation completely to apply pressure. I have considered sticking on some lead tape to the cap for that reason.

The handle isn't my favorite part though. It is a bit too long for me to shave ATG easily, so I choke up some, and the knorling could be more defined. Still for a $5-$7 razor, the L6 punches above its weight.

The Lord L6 (LP1822L) is the razor I recommend to anyone interested in trying a double edge razor. It’s inexpensive, yet smooth & efficient. The handle is too thin and light but nothing an aftermarket handle can’t fix. The threading under the top cap snapped on mine, but it was very good to me for the year or so it lasted. The backups will get thick layer of petroleum on so that they can possibly last longer.

I agree with you on how good the l6 shaves. I had one for a long time, I donated it to a beginner last year. I have the shark version on the way SH.25 the top cap is smooth and comes with a plastic handle and 2 packs of shark platinum's.

The handle isn't my favorite part though. It is a bit too long for me to shave ATG easily, so I choke up some, and the knorling could be more defined. Still for a $5-$7 razor, the L6 punches above its weight.
My Sterling has essentially the same length handle, I just figured that’s the normal length of a DE razor handle. I rest my pinky finger near the bottom and so far its felt like a good length.
My first nice razor arrived just after I started this thread- A Razorock Gamechanger .68P, with a 90mm Bulldog handle. I was surprised at how short the handle is.

But I agree that the knurling on the L6 is surprisingly ineffective.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Geometry, blade clamping, gap, angle ... so many miniscule things that can make a major difference
+
personal preference and habits

That can be any razor. And nobody will be able to figure it out but you, people can make an educated guess based on your preferences if you happen to own and could comment on this or that razor, but in the end, see first sentence.

Now I have quite some fancy steel and titanium razors, and many of them cost dozens of times that of a Lord L6, and some cost several times of the razors that cost already a dozen times.

The best fitting razor is not necessarily expensive. I have a quite expensive Ti razor that has quite a horrible head, but otherwise is really beautiful. That's my Boti Vortex.

If you are looking for something that will last quite a bit longer than a plastic Lord but isn't in the 150-300 EUR/USD range, the "Bayonetta" might be worth a try. Maybe it shaves even better, but there is never a guarantee.

This said, you could also try the plastic BIC and see how it compares to the Lord! That's something I always wanted to do but always forget.

linty1

My wallet cries.
The Lord L6 holds a special spot for me, it was the first de I was given to try de shaving and what got me into the hobby. I haven't picked one up in forever, I gave my original one away and for some reason haven't really been able to find one with the same magic? I don't know if it's a quality control issue of if I've just moved on taste wise...

My Sterling has essentially the same length handle, I just figured that’s the normal length of a DE razor handle. I rest my pinky finger near the bottom and so far its felt like a good length.
My first nice razor arrived just after I started this thread- A Razorock Gamechanger .68P, with a 90mm Bulldog handle. I was surprised at how short the handle is.

But I agree that the knurling on the L6 is surprisingly ineffective.
You will love that RR Gamechanger .68P and they have so many options for different plates for it as well. It is a great razor to "grow" with. Just to let you know that the handle for your RR Gamechanger works well on the L6 as well. I use an RR handle on my L6 and it is much better than the "less than grippy" L6 handle.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Finding a razor that is good for you requires a good marriage between razor/blade/face/beard and technique. Congratulations for finding that good marriage. I'd get a handful and keep the good ones - I wouldn't be surprised to find some variations.

Is there a better razor out there for you? Possibly, but you'll only find out by purchasing a sizable collection. Enjoy your shaves and celebrate your good luck.

The Lord L6 is a clone of the Merkur head. It is a great razor that is efficient and easy to use.

I have a Lord L5 from about 10-12 years ago. It’s Lord’s Tech clone. Fantastic razor. I’m told the newer versions are milder. That’s a shame. My L5 can outshave everything I own except the Yuma or SuperAdjustable on a good day.

I’ve used the plastic handled version which was called the 205, I believe. Shaved well but not durable.

I use only Lord family blades which, not surprisingly, work well in Lord razors.

Big fan of Lord. All their products are fantastic and economical. Enjoy.

Why it shaves so well is a good question? But it does..

The problem is definitely with the handle or the threads on the head. I was assembling mine one day and the threads stripped.

This was with applying almost no effort to tighten the head down. This is unfortunate as I very much enjoyed shaving with it and had planned on shaving with it more often...

Top Bottom