What's new

Feather carbon steel blades and a Bison.

Who knew? I ran across them in working my Chinese blade research project. They are called SEIKAN and ordered some off eBay from Japan. Serendipitous yesterday, they arrived and I was planning my first shave with my Bison. I usually use a black beauty for a first shave, but carbon is carbon...

Wow! This has to be the thinnest DE I've ever seen and SHARP. Did some more research. There seems to be 2 versions. What I have and a more expensive version with writing on it for use in "vibrating microtomes" I wonder if it is a lab prep / med prep thing. There is some discussion of a platinum coating but couldn't tell if it is one or both.

Initial reaction was panic. Bison is supposed to be mild yet the shave sounded like I was using a stump cutter on my face, and I was using no pressure. I'm thinking Stinger wild and Feather (stainless) again. But after one pass I'm at DFS and no irritation. Second pass BBS and the combo is super efficient on my neck which is usually a challenge. Third pass was unnecessary (but part of my process) and created a little irritation. 13 hours later I'm still BBS-/DFS+. IMPRESSED

Attachments

• 20240125_083921.jpg
    20240125_083921.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20240125_083740.jpg
    20240125_083740.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
Who knew? I ran across them in working my Chinese blade research project. They are called SEIKAN and ordered some off eBay from Japan. Serendipitous yesterday, they arrived and I was planning my first shave with my Bison. I usually use a black beauty for a first shave, but carbon is carbon...

Wow! This has to be the thinnest DE I've ever seen and SHARP. Did some more research. There seems to be 2 versions. What I have and a more expensive version with writing on it for use in "vibrating microtomes" I wonder if it is a lab prep / med prep thing. There is some discussion of a platinum coating but couldn't tell if it is one or both.

Initial reaction was panic. Bison is supposed to be mild yet the shave sounded like I was using a stump cutter on my face, and I was using no pressure. I'm thinking Stinger wild and Feather (stainless) again. But after one pass I'm at DFS and no irritation. Second pass BBS and the combo is super efficient on my neck which is usually a challenge. Third pass was unnecessary (but part of my process) and created a little irritation. 13 hours later I'm still BBS-/DFS+. IMPRESSED

Carbon steel is prone to rust when exposed to water. I'd be curious to know if they are real carbon steel and how they hold up after 4-5 uses.

Carbon steel is prone to rust when exposed to water. I'd be curious to know if they are real carbon steel and how they hold up after 4-5 uses.
I like Treet Carbons (Black Beauty) and use them to try out new razors. They are so cheap I tend to make them one or two and done. I have experimented and can get them to last 6 shaves before noticeable deterioration. Wipe dry, a squirt of 99.9% alcohol (forces away any residual water then evaporates quickly), put in a dry box (blue thing in the picture). They can probably go longer by either putting them in a desiccation box (box with reusable silica desiccant in it) or squirt with oil. Too much effort for cheap Treets, these are a little more expensive so I will be seeing what I can get out of them.

I like Treet Carbons (Black Beauty) and use them to try out new razors. They are so cheap I tend to make them one or two and done. I have experimented and can get them to last 6 shaves before noticeable deterioration. Wipe dry, a squirt of 99.9% alcohol (forces away any residual water then evaporates quickly), put in a dry box (blue thing in the picture). They can probably go longer by either putting them in a desiccation box (box with reusable silica desiccant in it) or squirt with oil. Too much effort for cheap Treets, these are a little more expensive so I will be seeing what I can get out of them.

I have to admit that I didn't know carbon steel blades were a thing. I found a few blades I liked early on and never really branched out beyond those. Looks like I need to spend a bit more time in the blades section of the forum.

I've cross-referenced the model number FA-10 on the box, the UPC code 902470010496, and the description of a white box with yellow and blue rectangles, and I can confirm that these are the Feather FA-10 Double Edge Razor Blades or Seikan. For a while I haven't been real sure what they were.

Here's a summary of key details:
  • Manufacturer: Feather Safety Razor Co., Ltd. (Japan)
  • Material: Carbon steel
  • Origin: Japan
  • Thickness: 0.1mm (same as Hi-Stainless, Astra SP is 0.19)
  • Coating: None (apparently the microtome version has a coating)
  • Packaging: White box with yellow and blue rectangles (as you described)
  • UPC Code: 902470010496
  • Quantity: Typically sold in packs of 10 or 50 blades
  • Reputation: Widely regarded as extremely sharp, smooth, and durable blades, favored by experienced wet shavers who prefer a close shave.

Additional Information:
  • The FA-10 blades are known for their exceptional sharpness and cutting ability, often providing a very close shave.
  • Due to their extreme sharpness, they might not be the best choice for beginners or those with sensitive skin.
  • They are relatively affordable and accessible in Japan, available for purchase from various online and offline retailers that specialize in shaving supplies. I have seen them on Etsy, eBay shipped from Japan.
I am still learning how to test the sharpness of blades using the PT50A but the awkward me gets a regular (stainless) feather at 30 and these carbon ones at 25.

I don't have these figured out yet - there seems to be some angle dependency beyond that of the razor. Going to try my Feather razors (AS-D2, Popular, and Adjustable) next. Seems the blade would work well in the parent's razors...

While the names are very similar, there are some key differences between the Feather FA-10 and the Feather FA-10B double-edge razor blades which seems to be related to microtomes:

Number of Blades:
  • FA-10: Comes in packs of 10 or 50 blades.
  • FA-10B: Comes in packs of 12 or 24 blades.
Packaging:
  • FA-10: Standard cardboard box with yellow and blue rectangles on the front.
  • FA-10B: May have different packaging depending on the region or specific product offering. Some reports suggest it might have a white box with silver and blue accents.
Blade Coating:
  • FA-10: Uncoated carbon steel blade.
  • FA-10B: Some sources claim the "B" variant might be platinum-coated, but this information is not confirmed on Feather's official website or in most reliable shaving product databases.
Availability:
  • FA-10: Widely available from various online and offline retailers.
  • FA-10B: Seems to be less readily available and might be a regional or limited-edition offering. Have seen them on lab supply sites.
Overall Performance:
  • Both blades are expected to offer similar sharpness and cutting ability due to their shared carbon steel construction. However, the alleged platinum coating on the FA-10B (if true) might contribute to smoother performance and increased longevity.
Conclusion:

The main difference between the FA-10 and FA-10B appears to be the number of blades per pack and possibly the packaging design. The potential for a platinum coating on the FA-10B is unclear and requires further verification.

While the names are very similar, there are some key differences between the Feather FA-10 and the Feather FA-10B double-edge razor blades which seems to be related to microtomes:

Number of Blades:
  • FA-10: Comes in packs of 10 or 50 blades.
  • FA-10B: Comes in packs of 12 or 24 blades.
Packaging:
  • FA-10: Standard cardboard box with yellow and blue rectangles on the front.
  • FA-10B: May have different packaging depending on the region or specific product offering. Some reports suggest it might have a white box with silver and blue accents.
Blade Coating:
  • FA-10: Uncoated carbon steel blade.
  • FA-10B: Some sources claim the "B" variant might be platinum-coated, but this information is not confirmed on Feather's official website or in most reliable shaving product databases.
Availability:
  • FA-10: Widely available from various online and offline retailers.
  • FA-10B: Seems to be less readily available and might be a regional or limited-edition offering. Have seen them on lab supply sites.
Overall Performance:
  • Both blades are expected to offer similar sharpness and cutting ability due to their shared carbon steel construction. However, the alleged platinum coating on the FA-10B (if true) might contribute to smoother performance and increased longevity.
Conclusion:

The main difference between the FA-10 and FA-10B appears to be the number of blades per pack and possibly the packaging design. The potential for a platinum coating on the FA-10B is unclear and requires further verification.
Fischer Scientific sells the FA-10 and Oxford Instruments the FA-10B. I ordered a pack of the 10Bs. We'll see.

I’m just wondering if these blades are prone to chatter, give they are so thin. Any signs of that? I have trouble with Bic Chrome Platinums feeling very harsh for me against the grain and I think it’s because the bevel is thin.

I’m just wondering if these blades are prone to chatter, give they are so thin. Any signs of that? I have trouble with Bic Chrome Platinums feeling very harsh for me against the grain and I think it’s because the bevel is thin.
I have been trying them in my aluminum razors and so far no chatter, another surprise. I wonder if it's because they're so sharp?

I have been running one Seikan through my aluminum razors. So far Bison, Guerrilla, Hone, and tonight my 3D printed razor. 4 BBS to DFS shaves. I think there are more in it so I will keep going. I am surprised as I 1 or 2 and toss my Treet Carbons.

the feather carbon steel blades I have are extremely thick,,they don't have any feather imprints or anything on the blade. I tried several different blades and always a terrible shave . I even thought they may be fake feather blades .

Were they FA-10?
I do have the black carbon FHS-10 single edge feather..Those are designed for the one blade and those are ok for one shave ..

I can tell you from memory that the FHS-10 carbon single edge blades that I have came in the same pack that you posted above., and the double edge variety came in same pack ..notice the packs differ a little in color and have two different thicknesses, one is the carbon single edge, the other carbon double edge.. The double edge blades are average thickness ..however, they are dull and tugg like crazy..

there also the carbon feather blades with the feather imprint on the blade, I haven't tried those yet..

I can't answer the question if those are FA-10 blades, as I don't have the other side of the cardboard where it would list that..Id imagine they are..

Attachments

• 20240203_002024.jpg
    20240203_002024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240203_002114.jpg
    20240203_002114.jpg
    987.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
During my internship as a lab tech i worked with a vibrating microtome. You can cut thin layers of tissue with it for medical research. We used it to cut spinal cord into slices a few uM thick (i think it was ~45uM). Those blades are very sharp and flexible.

I do have the black carbon FHS-10 single edge feather..Those are designed for the one blade and those are ok for one shave ..

I can tell you from memory that the FHS-10 carbon single edge blades that I have came in the same pack that you posted above., and the double edge variety came in same pack ..notice the packs differ a little in color and have two different thicknesses, one is the carbon single edge, the other carbon double edge.. The double edge blades are average thickness ..however, they are dull and tugg like crazy..

there also the carbon feather blades with the feather imprint on the blade, I haven't tried those yet..

I can't answer the question if those are FA-10 blades, as I don't have the other side of the cardboard where it would list that..Id imagine they are..
The FA-10 are the DE and as you say the FHS-10 are the OneBlade blades. There is a FA-10B that I think is the one with printing on the blade. I ordered a tuck from a lab supply house (Oxford) which showed the box with FA-10B on it. But FA-10 is what came.

These seem very sensitive to angle. At one they are tuggy as you say, at another smooth. I don't have them figured out yet.

A few posts up I posted 2 reports on what I found out about them. I'm not sure they're every day blades for most people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom