What's new

Neutral exposure top cap

I think manufacturers are missing an opportunity here by excluding the blade exposure variable in their offerings.
We get their blade gap offerings but none, or at least very few, are proving solution for various blade exposure options.

If they bother making all blade gaps imaginable available for their base models, why so difficult to make top caps that will suit those looking for a certain blade exposure?

Hello? Anybody home?

My guess they don’t want too many data variables to confuse first time buyers or people that over analyze those things. Perhaps keep them from being labeled as “mild” or “aggressive” when other variables play a part (angle, skin/beard type, blade, technique)

There is one - the Tatara Masamune and Nodachi. With two top caps and four baseplates they have 6 different exposure and gap combinations.

You're right that it isn't common, but changing the gap also changes the exposure for almost all razors. The only one I know that doesn't is Le Maurice, but he does that by increasing the width of the baseplate as the gap increases. For all the rest the larger the gap the more the exposure.

This has been on my mind a lot lately. I know I'm probably in the minority in liking negative exposure razors, but at the moment the only real options I can think of for that are Tatara and Karve. Those are both great brands but it would be nice to have more options sometimes.

Sometimes I think even providing exposure specs would help, just so it's on people's radars.

I can't complain too much, as there are a lot of great razors out there at the moment, but for me blade exposure was the missing piece of the puzzle in understanding razor characteristics.

...Sometimes I think even providing exposure specs would help, just so it's on people's radars...

proxy.php

Top Bottom