What's new

DS Cosmetics & their Brass V92 twin cap.

At one point, I saw a poster here objecting to the copying of razor designs by a Chinese manufacturer because, "The US constitution protects well funded manufacturers." I am pretty sure the CCP doesn't give a damn about the intellectual property protections offered by the US constitution or any other western legislation,
Added the proper phrasing.

It is actually interesting, protecting design is harder in the USA under the auspices of design patent laws than Europe, since design patent laws being deficient and Supreme court not helping with its interpretations, but that is compensated with broader protection scopes of trademarks and patents which are easier to do in USA. For instance you can patent in USA IP that you cannot in Europe for instance. Standards are not exactly the same in the field of IP worldwide. I am always amazed at what you can cram into a USA patent. Even europeans amaze me sometimes with what they allow to be patented.

But back to the topic. Good luck with small few people crew artisans trying to enforce anything anywhere.

Outstanding shave this morning with the V92 & Minora blade. An effective design that provides for an efficient & satisfyingly smooth shave. Yes, it has design cues from other razor makers and can be called a clone of other razors which is clearly apparent just by looking at the individual components. However, it still shaves phenomenally well as a mix of those razors that it’s designed after and arguably even better. So, the question one might ask themselves is, is this really a clone of multiple designs yet clearly improves on those designs to perform as a better razor with its own unique performance attributes? Clearly there are Karve, Henson, Razorock & to a lesser extent Timeless design traits in the V92 that are clearly visible to one’s eye. Bottom line is that the V92 shaves with superb comfort and effectiveness that is typically mostly seen with razors produced in North America & Europe while in most cases being offered to consumers at a substantially higher cost. And even better is it goes toe to toe with some of those higher priced razors without losing an inch of ground to them on performance and quality. Performance, quality & value and in those said attributes DSCosmestics has nailed it with their V92 razor. It may have cheated a bit when it comes to “artistic expression theft” but, the result is a better & affordable razor for the wet shave masses.

Great shaves to all…

1A5F020A-E557-469F-BF57-35696F87A00F.jpeg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The cutouts in the baseplate must have been made to allow lifting the blade from below and save some weight. So they did not just copy, as they obviously did for the Karve Pattern handle and the Razorock Super Knurl clone, but add some extras to the baseplate.

They also offer a 3-, 5- and, the most important of all, a scalloped cap. Everyone knows how much I like the scalloped cap. 💕

The cutouts in the baseplate must have been made to allow lifting the blade from below and save some weight. So they did not just copy, as they obviously did for the Karve Pattern handle and the Razorock Super Knurl clone, but add some extras to the baseplate.

They also offer a 3-, 5- and, the most important of all, a scalloped cap. Everyone knows how much I like the scalloped cap. 💕
^^^^^^^
100% Agreed. I haven’t tried their other base plate offerings but, I’m on the verge of at least acquiring the V95 plate and another. If they are as good as this offering then, DScosmetics arguably has come to the forefront as the best producer of artisan crafted razor tools from China.

As far as taking design cues from others while implementing new ideas of their own successfully, I’m a stone cold hypocrite of my own argument. :mad2:

That was my thought as well - just enough room in those cutouts for a nail or perhaps a sort part of a finger to squeeze in a little. Should also help with grip when holding the razor by the sides, I wager.

Finally ordered this razor today, been in my cart for a few months. Thanks @GlazedBoker for the great reviews. I don't get along with razors that have a lot of blade exposure. The add for the V92 claims the exposure to be only .01mm, that's about as close to neutral as it gets.

Finally ordered this razor today, been in my cart for a few months. Thanks @GlazedBoker for the great reviews. I don't get along with razors that have a lot of blade exposure. The add for the V92 claims the exposure to be only .01mm, that's about as close to neutral as it gets.

Congrats on the purchase and I do think you will find this to give both comfortable and effectively efficient shaves for you. Do post once you get to give it a run.

Great shaves to you amigo…:shaving::thumbup:

Can this razor somehow be compared with Karve Overlander? Or the Rockwell 6?

I like Overlander for atg efficiency and Rockwell 6s for giving an effortless safe shave. Both are not aggressive for me.

Great thread and write up by GlazedBoker.
Thanks...
Question, did you every get around to do a compare V92 to Lupo 95?
That would be very helpful.
Also wondering how big a difference the V95 is.
Does not seem like much, blade exposure is the same.
Gap is 3 more...
Little more weight & thickness..
So how much more efficient could it be?

Not sure what they were thinking.
You would think they would have a bigger jump.
It both gap and blade exposure.

Also interesting, if you look at all there CNC offerings.
Most have the same, low blade exposure value...

But...I am thinking my brother mine enjoy the V92, since he permanently borrow my RR L 95.

Cheers
BFX

Great thread and write up by GlazedBoker.
Thanks...
Question, did you every get around to do a compare V92 to Lupo 95?
That would be very helpful.
Also wondering how big a difference the V95 is.
Does not seem like much, blade exposure is the same.
Gap is 3 more...
Little more weight & thickness..
So how much more efficient could it be?

Not sure what they were thinking.
You would think they would have a bigger jump.
It both gap and blade exposure.

Also interesting, if you look at all there CNC offerings.
Most have the same, low blade exposure value...

But...I am thinking my brother mine enjoy the V92, since he permanently borrow my RR L 95.

Cheers
BFX

Just ordered it about 3 days back. Should be here by months end or early April. Stay tuned....

Well, the S9 is their steel version of the Game Changer .84 SB geometry, the V92 is the brass version of the same design.
I like the scalloped caps best, they can also easily be used for any Game Changer you own. The baseplate might look different, but same or very similar geometry to the Game Changer, the indents to grab the blade from below are the major difference in design.

@Halfbeard it's the same in brass. The parallel cap and prism cap (the same as the "parallel" cap, just 5 instead of 3) were initially seen on YINTAL-LIVEBEN razors that were identical to DSCosmetic S-series razors. Perhaps not quite, my Yintal Game Changer clone must be a .68, or the effed something up, it's far milder than my DSCosmetic S9.

And for everyone else, just let me repeat that you should get the scalloped cap if in doubt, I like it best.
Hey all, a little late to the party on this thread, but I have a question for @Iridian. I recently acquired an S9 with the scalloped cap, and your quote above suggests to me that I could use the DSC cap with any RR GC baseplate. Am I reading that correctly? I'm tempted to order a .76 or a 1.05 GC baseplate for purposes of some experimentation, but wanted to check with you to make sure I'm not tossing 30 bucks out the window. Thanks!

My order got delivered today which is the good news. The bad news is that they sent me the wrong razor. I received the DS - S9 instead of the V95. Bummer. Well, at least they sent me a return label to send this one back and they will get the right one out to me asap. It is what it is. Lovely synthetic brushes though.

Comparison shave will just have to wait a little longer. :nonod:

F4382851-C60D-4FE6-A73A-ED37DA019DF2.jpeg

E720A265-1050-44C8-884C-907C14FA08F1.jpeg

My order got delivered today which is the good news. The bad news is that they sent me the wrong razor. I received the DS - S9 instead of the V95. Bummer. Well, at least they sent me a return label to send this one back and they will get the right one out to me asap. It is what it is. Lovely synthetic brushes though.

Comparison shave will just have to wait a little longer. :nonod:

View attachment 1820406
View attachment 1820407
Well, damn. Sorry about that. I can attest that the s9 and destroyer handle is pretty damn sweet in titanium. But that’s not what you wanted or ordered. I hope that the replacement process goes smoothly for you

Ok 2nd shave with the V92. Supporting cast the same. Two days growth. 3 passes no touch ups. Results where better than the first shave! BBS with no irritation. Really liking this razor.

Top Bottom