What's new

My other Journal Page is about Fatips.

THIS THREAD may interest you, and @Sweeney_, Guido. On page 2 you'll see that I checked and got the blade gap to be 0.55mm with my feeler gauge.

There's also good stuff from Doug (RIP) there.
Thanks Cal! I read that thread, but that was a while back before actually owning one.

I need to do a comparison shave between the Blackbird and GC1 for science to check similarities and differences.

Arghh choices choices. I was planning on using the NEW SC tomorrow.

John, I still love my Lupo 95 both SB and OC. What is weird, I don't have a preference for SB and OC with my Lupo. I prefer the SB on my Blackbird. I prefer the OC on my Fatips compared to the Gentile.
I don’t find it surprising that your preference is even Rave. You shave much shorter intervals than I do. Once I used OC’s I was hooked. My whiskers are always in excess of a week’s growth. Today’s shave will be a nine day and a good test for the Lupo. Many closed comb razors would jam whiskers with this length. Eleven days was the limit for the Grande OC.

Sorry John, I have no idea (and I only have the Lupo SB95).
The blade exposure and gap are far greater on the Lupo compared to my Grande OC. I suspect the Lupo may be able to go beyond an eleven day growth which was the max for the Grande. The Lupo right from the first shave was very apparent in its efficiency compared to the Grande. There are so many good reports on the Blackbird. My curiosity continues to be stirred.

The blade exposure and gap are far greater on the Lupo compared to my Grande OC.
I am going to play Captain Obvious here, but ehh isn’t the blade gap of a Lupo 95… .95?! Isn’t that the whole point of the number suffix?

As for blade exposure. According to this post the exposure is .05mm - technically for the .72 Lupo, but it might be that the .95 is either the same or not far from it. The .95 is pictured on the right, so maybe it can be calculated from that picture.

Guido

I am going to play Captain Obvious here, but ehh isn’t the blade gap of a Lupo 95… .95?! Isn’t that the whole point of the number suffix?

As for blade exposure. According to this post the exposure is .05mm - technically for the .72 Lupo, but it might be that the .95 is either the same or not far from it. The .95 is pictured on the right, so maybe it can be calculated from that picture.

Guido
I agree with you Guido. Having used the GC’s the numbers usually referred to the blade exposures. It’s always nice to see those pictures with the lines and numbers. An email to Italian Barber will probably confirm the blade exposure.

Umm... what picture? I don't see a link or picture. Am I half blind? Afflicted with stupidity? I feel like that lady cop in Fargo who couldn't set off motion sensors on the doors and faucets. You guys see me, right? 😕

According to this post
That should have read this post with a hyperlink! My bad @Sweeney_

I have also emailed IB regarding the Game Changer and exposure - if they react I can also ask about the Lupo.

Edit: which they have (reacted) and which they say they don’t have (the exact number just that’s slightly positive).

The usual adage is that when gap increased exposure increases - Atelier Duran is very different in that sense with his Maurice so if the exposure rate is lineair the gap on the .95mm would be approximately .07mm (edit 2: it’s more see next post)

Guido

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My very first wet shave was with the Lupo Aluminum our youngest son gifted me... with some Astra SP greens... was so horrible, I immediately started looking for a razor to buy that I would enjoy. As the story goes, Brian Mulreany @ ESC suggested I buy one of their newly released AC Claymore Evolutions. The AC format remains my favorite, I think... though I have some outstanding DE razors as well these days.

I need to revisit it now.... almost 2 years later.... to see if my inexperience with a DE razor was the problem, not the Lupo itself. I've never used the Astras again as of yet either.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Surely @Ron R meant .057 not .57
He gave .046 on the Lupo 72
Thanks for the link.
I remember that thread was all the rage when the Lupo was released.
There was also imperial measurements that meant what I was projecting on the photo's(it's hard to correct that information when needs changing(I'm not keen with metric measurements. ) I was brought up in imperial measurement's at school and conversion was for Europeans not myself. Oh well, Thanks @Sweeney!

My very first wet shave was with the Lupo Aluminum our youngest son gifted me... with some Astra SP greens... was so horrible, I immediately started looking for a razor to buy that I would enjoy. As the story goes, Brian Mulreany @ ESC suggested I buy one of their newly released AC Claymore Evolutions. The AC format remains my favorite, I think... though I have some outstanding DE razors as well these days.

I need to revisit it now.... almost 2 years later.... to see if my inexperience with a DE razor was the problem, not the Lupo itself. I've never used the Astras again as of yet either.
I suspect that you probably used the same pressure you were accustomed to in using carts. Inevitably that would cause skin irritation at the very least especially with an efficient razor. I look forward to your Lupo aluminum report after two years of DE shaving. I had tried light plastic razors at the beginning of my journey with the same results Kim.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Razor: Blackbird Ti Lite
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Van Der Lovett Sailor's Blend
Brush: Omega Evo 2.0
Aftershave: Reuzel Wood and Spice
065_01_21 conv.jpeg

I got to shave with my Blackbird Ti Lite and Dutch shaving soap! :001_wub:

The shave was BBS with a DFS on my neck. It's a near-perfect shave. My face couldn't look or feel better. Stubble comes back sooner than with my Blackbird Ti CC. But for now, I look like a Dutch god, a Dutch shaving god. :001_cool: :w00t: :lol1:

Cheers
Rave

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)
066_01_21 conv.jpeg

I did my gratuitous Friday after-work shave. It was marvelous. I shall continue with this line-up. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I want to shave with my Blackbird Ti CC before FFFM. That way, I'll know what I'll be missing.

Cheers!
Rave

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Blade: Perma-Sharp (5)
070_01_21 conv.jpeg

I'm consistently getting the best shaves with my Blackbird Ti Lite. I'm also becoming a big fan of Perma-Sharp blades. Van Der Lovett's soaps are great. I've been checking their website to see when they'll be back in production. Their domain is now unavailable. :crying: This line-up continues to rock. :punk:

Cheers
Rave

Checked it out too Rave and it appears that they have ceased business. They are in the tunneling business nowadays and simply appear to have moved on. Cannot order them through the other channel I had as well. I fear VanderLovett is discontinued and unobtainium going forward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom